Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22229 - 09/29/03 01:25 PM My very very preliminary schedule... Suggestions?
Joel Villarini Offline

Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hi everyone. Here is my very way-early schedule for my trip... As you see there are blank days. Am I hurrying Granada & Cordoba too much? How should I accomodate? Any suggestions to do on the blank days are more than welcome... I need to be in Barcelona on friday the 9th can be late.. have an important social event that w/end there.

Thanks all smile

Thursday April 1st: Arrive in Madrid at 9:15am

Friday April 2nd:

Saturday April 3rd:

Sunday April 4th: Day trip to Segovia

Monday April 5th: Day trip to Toledo

Tuesday April 6th:

Wednesday April 7th: Take AVE at 9am to Cordoba. Explore Cordoba

Thursday April 8th: Take Bus to Granada. Go to Alhambra

Friday April 9th: Leave Granada 1:15pm to Barcelona 2:45pm. (Taking a flight to save time)

Satuday April 10th:

Sunday April 11th:

Monday April 12th:

Tuesday April 13th: Leave Barcelona in Iberia Puente Aereo early in the morning to go to Madrid and catch my 12:30 noon flight home.

#22230 - 09/29/03 07:04 PM Re: My very very preliminary schedule... Suggestions?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Let's see. Let's break it down. You have essentially 12 days and you'd like to see the following in those 12 days:

Madrid, Segovia, Toledo, Córdoba, Granada/Alhambra, Barcelona.

That's 6 cities in 12 days. Of course it's very possible but....... Sheesh! I HOPE it's not like you'll ever be returning to Spain again and so you're trying to "do it all" this time around. WOW! eek

MANY people try to do what you're planning above but I can't recommend it. You have LESS than two weeks. My recommendation is to spend SIX DAYS in Central Spain and SIX DAYS in Southern Spain and skip Barcelona alltogether. Barcelona requires a MINIMUM of three days just as Madrid requires a MINIMUM of three days as you've already planned.

You could always SKIP southern Spain and spend 6 days in/around Barcelona but... wow.. there's SO MUCH to see in Andalucía and, in my controversial opinion, less to see in Barcelona and Cataluña. (uh-oh... I can see people's faces turning red now.. eek ) Andalucía is PACKED with historical, OLD SPAIN sights to see what with Granada, Córdoba, Sevilla. Even if you only visited these three in Andalucía it would be tough as Sevilla probably requires almost 3 days to do it justice but Córdoba and Granada could be forced into single-day visits.

As for central Spain, accounting for 3-days in Madrid itself....or 2.5 if your plane is late and you don't get to your hotel until after noon.... you can do justice to Madrid with 3-days. Daytrips to Segovia and Toledo are well planned. So there's 5 days so far. You have one more day where you could visit rural Castilla or visit some of he smaller villages or even Avila or El Escorial or La Granja or places like this.

Admittedly, I don't know Cataluña very well at all - I liked Barcelona, of course. You could also do well.. maybe even better.. to spend half the time in/around Madrid and the other half in the Basque Country (it's SO beautiful) on the north coast, cross over into France for a daytrip to Saint-Jean-de-la-Luz or Biarritz, and visit Bilbao's Guggenheim Museum on the way up/back.

It's going to be tough no matter how you cut it up but I can't recommend trying to "throw in" Barcelona just to say you were there. Save Barcelona for the next trip and do all of northern Spain on that trip, visiting Cataluña, Basque Country, and Galicia (NW Spain).. Mmmm... Galicia... I loved it.

Anyone else? Saludos, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#22231 - 09/30/03 06:28 AM Re: My very very preliminary schedule... Suggestions?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I think Easter Sunday is 11 Apr'04. Semana Santa is the week leading up to then. That may complicate your schedule somewhat (i.e., lots of people travel during that week - if you don't have confirmed Air & Rail reservations you may be out of luck). eek

You might want to work on your schedules for visiting Granada and Cordoba. The Easter holiday begins Apr 8 and you may not be able to get to Granada by bus. Cordoba will be 'gearing up' for its Holy Thursday/good Friday processions on Apr 8 but you shouldn't have any problem getting there & back on AVE as long as you buy your tickets/reservations beforehand.

Friday Apr 9th: Wherever you are - it's going to take twice as long (and cost twice as much) to get to the airport for your flight to Barcelona. Streets will be closed due to Processions.

The Easter holiday extends thru Monday, Apr 12 so you may have a little competition getting on an early Puente Aereo flight Barcelona-Madrid

just a few thoughts you might want to consider. rolleyes

#22232 - 09/30/03 08:31 AM Re: My very very preliminary schedule... Suggestions?
Joel Villarini Offline

Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico
¡Madridman, muchas gracias por toda tu ayuda! Esta labor que haces con esta página tiene mucho valor y por eso te lo agradezco. smile

Sometimes I let myself plan too much and forget im on vacation... so im taking advice and I'll slow out the pace so I might nix one of the daytrips (toledo or segovia) which one would you do???

On this trip I plan to just do the basics of southern spain so Im gonna opt for Cordoba and Granada, Im sure I will be back to Spain many times, which means I'll eventually do one trip to cover all the south including Ronda, Sevilla and such, another for north.. etc.

I don't wanna force Cordoba and Sevilla too much so I might spend a day and half on each. What do you think? Im sort of figuring this out cuz I need to get plane and rail tickets, read below.

Eddie, It's semana santa smile But... Im prepared.. already got my air tickets at hand, just need to buy the granada-barcelona, and barcelona-madrid which I plan to do very soon. Im only taking one train AVE Madrid-Cordoba do you think I should get those soon??? Even though the time Im taking that train is a few days before the semana santa rush.

#22233 - 09/30/03 12:59 PM Re: My very very preliminary schedule... Suggestions?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
SUGGESTIONS.....

Thursday April 1st: Arrive in Madrid at 9:15am
EXPLORE MAYBE DO THE ROYAL PALACE TOUR

Friday April 2nd: MUSEUMS AND STUFF

Saturday April 3rd: MADRID HIGHLIGHTS

Sunday April 4th: Day trip to Segovia

Monday April 5th: Day trip to Toledo
OVERNIGHT IN TOLEDO

Tuesday April 6th: TOLEDO

Wednesday April 7th: Take AVE at 9am to Cordoba. Explore Cordoba EARLY TRAIN TO MADRID OR RETURN TO MADRID ON THE EVENING OF THE 6TH SPEND HALF A DAY IN CÓRDOBA AND THEN TAKE THE BUS TO GRANADA

Thursday April 8th: Take Bus to Granada. Go to Alhambra GO EARLY TO THE ALHAMBRA AND SPEND MOST OF THE DAY, YOU CAN EAT AT THE PARADOR ON THE GROUNDS OF THE ALHAMBRA, WATCH THE SUN SET FROM THE SAN NICOLÁS VIEWPOINT, ENJOY THE TETARIAS AND THE TOWN

Friday April 9th: Leave Granada 1:15pm to Barcelona 2:45pm. (Taking a flight to save time)

Satuday April 10th:BARCELONA TO RELAX AND PLAY

Sunday April 11th: BARCELONA

Monday April 12th: BARCELONA

We did the AVE to Córdoba and spent a half day doing the major sites before going on to Granada by bus. The bus station and the train station are together and you can easily store luggage in the lockers in the train station while you explore the city. If you have to choose between Córdoba and Granada, I would spend more time in Granada.

The Rick Steves' Spain and Portugal guide book gives you a good summary of things to do in the areas you are visiting.

Toledo is one of my favorite locations and a day trip will not give you the chance to see it after dark. We stay at the Hostal Descalzo and have been vey pleased with the rooms and service.

It is never too early to be planning!!!!! laugh
That is half the fun!!!

#22234 - 10/01/03 07:18 AM Re: My very very preliminary schedule... Suggestions?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Joel writes:
Quote:
Eddie, It's semana santa But... Im prepared.. already got my air tickets at hand, just need to buy the granada-barcelona, and barcelona-madrid which I plan to do very soon. Im only taking one train AVE Madrid-Cordoba do you think I should get those soon??? Even though the time Im taking that train is a few days before the semana santa rush.
You'll probably be all right if you buy your AVE tickets when you arrive in Madrid.

I didn't understand if you are going to return to Madrid on an AVE Same day return (considerable discount) or if you plan to overnight in Cordoba and catch a bus (or train) Cordoba-Granada. In either case, you can reserve your train (or bus) tickets in advance - by phone, if you like.

re: Sel's suggestion: I don't think Thursday, your arrival day, is a good day to do the Palacio Réal tour. The last time I was there on a Thursday, there was no admission charge for Spanish Nationals. That, combined with the fact that schools will be 'letting out' for the Easter holiday, make it a 'field trip' day. Enough said?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2405 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments