Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22109 - 07/08/03 06:01 PM Madrid: Museo Reina Sofia
AnnK Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I have a limited interest in modern art. But the Museo Reina Sofia is great! At 3 euros, try it!

For a start, the museum is physically pleasant--a nice interior courtyard with benches and people, halls looking down on the trees, some air conditioning, good traffic flow, and amusing clear elevators.

The second floor has Dali paintings: some are interesting, some bizarre, some engrossing. In between, I looked at the Miró paintings, which are mostly cheerful but still really Art. Of course they have a fair number of Picasso's works, including Guernica.

Third floor has, among other things, amusing modern sculptures--mobiles and, oh, other fun stuff.

Excellent photo gallery: works by Man Ray, Strand, Steiglitz, Walker, Steichen, Atget and good examples by them too.

There was also a large exhibit of a Spanish photographer, Catala-Roca (sp?) whom I'd never heard of. Great stuff, and mostly set in Barcelona or Madrid which added to the pleasure.

Most modern art museums are "challenging": full of man's inhumanity to man, or the insignificance of man, or just cramped or noisy. This museum has works, like Guernica, about war and evil and sorrow--they are part of art and life. But I can be thrilled by Toledo including its dark aspects of the past without that edgy "challenge" feeling of some modern art galleries. Museo Reina Sofia is the most enjoyable modern art museum I've visited.

#22110 - 07/08/03 06:53 PM Re: Madrid: Museo Reina Sofia
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
AnnK

I completely agree with all you say about the Reina Sofia cool

Actually I would be happy to be in this building with or without works of art. It has a kind of beautiful, serene, solid, reassuring feeling about it.

What did the building used to be? Was it a hospital?

I love looking at the works of art in the Prado but find the building confusing and exhausting - I am always pleased to get to the cafe with it's outside terrace for an escape wink I don't feel like that in the Reina Sofia laugh

Jo

#22111 - 07/18/03 12:37 AM Re: Madrid: Museo Reina Sofia
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I also loved this museum. We happened to stay just 2 0r 3 blocks away and as we had a 1:30PM flight, on our last day we walked down and were there when it opened. It was a wonderful way to spend our last morning.

#22112 - 07/18/03 05:11 PM Re: Madrid: Museo Reina Sofia
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
The Reina Sofia used to be a hospital.

Speaking of museums, I'd like to remind everyone that the Prado is free on Sundays, as is the Museo Sorolla. Also, until mid-September, the ground floor of the Thyssen Museum, mostly 20th century art, will be open evenings, Tu-Sat, from 1900-2200. That too will be free of charge.

#22113 - 07/23/03 10:16 PM Re: Madrid: Museo Reina Sofia
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I agree with you all. The Reina Sofia is my favorite in Spain.
I just happen to prefer the modern art.

My best memories of the museum are either the times I saw a femal security guard making out with her girlfriend, or when I walked out of the museum on my most recent trip, straight into half a million people protesting the war.

Fun times.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments