Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22035 - 05/27/03 04:03 PM Weekend in Granada
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I just got back from a weekend in Granada, my first visit there. The Alhambra really is incredible and worth the trip alone. Don't miss the Generalife especially since it is part of the admission to the Alhambra. I had bought my ticket from BBVA in advance, but it looked like walk-up purchases were fine, even on Sunday afternoon. The Albaicin hill was also wonderful. Go all the way up to the top to Iglesia San Nicholas for the view, especially of the Alhambra across the river at Sunset. Just about everything you would want to see is within walking distance. I took the train, and it was about a 20 minute walk from the station to the center of the old town. There is a street, calle Navas, with lots of tapas bars that was not too touristy. On the Talgo train, I slept through "Stuart Little 2," and the screen was too murky to watch "Signs," but on the way back, I practiced my Spanish comprehension by watching "The Tailor of Panama" and "Showtime." The Talgo starts and ends at Chamartin but also stops at Atocha, though be advised that the Atocha stop is at the Cercanias station and not the grand lines.

#22036 - 05/27/03 11:44 PM Re: Weekend in Granada
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hola Eduardo!

I'm glad you loved the Alhambra, and this time of year it is SO beautiful there with the Generalife gardens!! MORE people definitely need to visit there!!

I do have a question, though, isn't the Alhambra still free on Sundays, or has that changed recently? The last time I was there (2 years ago--BOY I'm itching to get back!!) it was still free, which was great for picnics, students, and families.

"Granada, tierra sonada por mi..."

-GG

#22037 - 05/28/03 09:42 AM Re: Weekend in Granada
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I agree, Granada is the BEST!!! Of course...after living and studying 5 months there I might be a little biased wink . GG, as far as I know, the Alhambra is NOT free on Sundays.
Kelly smile

#22038 - 05/28/03 04:51 PM Re: Weekend in Granada
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
The Alhambra definitely was NOT free on Sundays. The standard charge of 8 euros plus service fee of 88 cents for advance bookings was in effect.

Tourism is the bread and butter of Granada. They even charged for entry to the Cathedral.

#22039 - 07/04/03 06:54 AM Re: Weekend in Granada
Burnsylad Offline

Loc: cheshire
hi everyone, im visiting spain in a few weeks, and plan on staying in granada for a few days. can anyone sugggest some great places to visit whilst im there, and also some cheap accommodation within granada?

cheers

:p

#22040 - 07/08/03 06:25 AM Re: Weekend in Granada
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Burnsy - I think you'd get a better response starting your own thread, rather than appending yourself to another.

But anyhow, any decent guidebook (eg Rough Guide to Andalucia) will describe all the main "sights" - Alahambra, Albaicin, Sacromonte etc. A lesser known tip - check out the bull ring (Plaza de Toros) - they've installed some nice bars and restauraunts beneath the stands.

Cheapest tourist hostales are around Plaza Nueva/Cuesta de Gomerez.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments