Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22000 - 05/17/03 09:45 PM What is your favorite place in Northern Spain,why
Sanna Offline

Loc: California
We have two or three days to go somewhere in northern Spain and don't want to waste them. We will be traveling out of Madrid. Please give us some ideas. Our interests are beautiful, old places,preferably smaller towns.

Would you recommend going by train and bus, or renting a car?

#22001 - 05/18/03 03:24 AM Re: What is your favorite place in Northern Spain,why
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
My favorite small town is probably my best friend's village because... well... it's my best friend's village! lol She lives in Nigran, which is in Galicia. The closest village that would be of historical/touristy interest is Baiona. You can see a webcam of it in the links on this site. If you just look at the webcam I think the reasons for visiting speak for themselves. It's just so incredibly beautiful and I've spent some of the best times of my life there.

My other favorite village is San Vicente de la Barquera. Can you tell I'm a beach/mountain person? Same thing... it's just such a breathtaking setting that it's worth the pain of getting there.

I'm not sure about cars/transportation. When I go, I take the bus to the nearest large city (Vigo, in the case of Baiona, Santander in the case of San Vicente) or if I have friends driving up there, I'll go with them.

Have a wonderful time in the north - it's my favorite part of the country! In just 2 weeks I'll be moving there to work in lloret de mar smile

Melinda

#22002 - 05/18/03 08:46 AM Re: What is your favorite place in Northern Spain,why
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
It's not a small village, but my favourite place would have to be San Sebastian which is...er...too elegant for words rolleyes . (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little) laugh .

I've also heard wonderful stories about Oviedo, and can't wait to go myself.

#22003 - 05/19/03 05:32 AM Re: What is your favorite place in Northern Spain,why
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It depends on when you are going. If it's in mid to late July Santiago de Compostela would be my choice followed in close succession by Santander (which has a Santiago festival the week before Santiago (July 25th)). Santander also has San Vicente de la Barquera, Santillana del Mar, Comillas, the Picos de Europa and Potes, its Capital, all nearby. cool

#22004 - 05/19/03 04:51 PM Re: What is your favorite place in Northern Spain,why
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
My favourite are : LLanes (Asturias),Santillana del Mar and Potes (Cantabria),Bayona (Galicia) and
the best :La Coruña (Galicia).

ABP

#22005 - 05/19/03 05:51 PM Re: What is your favorite place in Northern Spain,why
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
When you go by car from Bilbao up the costa vasca, you'll find a number of small port towns that are worthy of mention: Gernika (on a Ría, actually), Bakio, Bermeo [major thumbs up] and Hondarribia (Fuenterrabia). Traveling inland you'll find Azpeitia and then into Navarra I recommend both Roncesvalles and Valcarlos (for historical value).

If you're looking for lodging in Navarra or rural Gipuzkoa, check Top Rural for info on B&Bs and rural lodgings that will make your stay unique and unforgettable.

I recommend Casa Curutzezahar in Valcarlos...they're family!

#22006 - 05/20/03 12:10 AM Re: What is your favorite place in Northern Spain,why
suesnothome Offline

Loc: Palm Desert Ca
All of these replies are great! I'm going on this trip also and we are going in late September. Does this change any of the suggestions?

Also, please some responses regarding the car, bus or train.

Thanks for all your ideas!!

#22007 - 05/20/03 08:49 AM Re: What is your favorite place in Northern Spain,why
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hello everybody

what part of northern spain i like the best?

galicia, asturias and leon.

why?
1.i have family there.
2.thus ive been there.
3.my dad's from galicia.
4.i love the countryside,the foods the best,tradition rules there,the music is the best in spain,the climate makes you think with its mist,fog and melancholy rain that mixes well with everything there,when the sun "finally" comes out the whole place is bathed in a beautiful orange glow.
5.the languages(i speak galego)
6.the accent of the galegos and asturiano is the most attractiive in the world.
7.it just has something that gets to you more than the rest of spain(which is great too).
8.the celtic presence in the area.
9.the fact that the camino de santiago goes through that area.
10.beauty of the towns which have a look not too austere and not too gay.
11.the fact that theres no heat or no cold(well it could get cold in lugo sometimes)
12.finally the peacefulness and silence of the towns of the area.(yeah i know most of spain has this attribute but its more charming there for some reason)

#22008 - 05/24/03 07:16 PM Re: What is your favorite place in Northern Spain,why
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I would recommend going to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia. while there are other impressive sights to see in Northern Spain, I think that Santiago is the most impressive if you like history. If you are interested in viewing medieval and renaissance structures embedded in historical significance, Santiago is it!

Within easy reach of the Rias Baixas, the coast is less than an hour away by car or train.

Buen Viaje! wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments