Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21990 - 05/17/03 10:10 AM Xanadu
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
I'm surprised nobody has mention yet yesterday's inauguration of Madrid XANADU, from now on, Europe's biggest “mall” or shopping center (it's still probably “small” compared to the most humongous ones in the States); it includes a wide area with indoor skiing and snowboarding facilities (a quite claustrophobic experience, if you ask me, and “sun-less”! eek ), everything is open every day of the year, and Spaniards can now ski in the middle of August (without having to travel to the Andes, I mean); it's located near a village-town called Arroyomolinos (I like the name smile ), somewhere along the very busy "carretera de Extremadura'; and what an economical-social(employment!) boost for the area it must be, I guess. According to the tv reports yesterday's events were a big success. Did anyone attend them?
Their webpage seems to be under construction.

#21991 - 05/17/03 01:25 PM Re: Xanadu
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
It is smart that Xanadu has an artificial ski slope because it can then be classified as an "entertainment complex" rather than a "shopping complex." That means that it can stay open on Sundays. Someone told me the same principle applies to the Las Rosas mall out on the highway to La Coruña. They probably have a movie theater or something there too that classifies as "entertainment."

By the way, I don't know if this is going to materialize or not, but I heard a while back that the Mills people were interested in developing a mall in Madrid. For those who don't know, the Mills group created Potomac Mills, the humungous discount shopping mall near Washington, DC, that is the most visited "tourist attraction" in the state of Virginia.

#21992 - 05/17/03 01:37 PM Re: Xanadu
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Pim,
Have you gone to this mall? if so, how are the prices? Better than the corte íngles?
Gracías

#21993 - 05/17/03 09:19 PM Re: Xanadu
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Booklady: It IS El Corte Inglés indeed!!!

It is a great building, in which you would find the ski resort, a bowling, a big cinema, restaurants, shops and a El Corte Inglés smile

Fernando

#21994 - 05/18/03 08:28 AM Re: Xanadu
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Booklady,

No, I haven't gone to Xanadu, it just opened on Friday.
The prices are the same as anywhere else, a Corte Ingles department store is indeed "included" within the complex. I've heard there are 200 stores and 30 restaurants (that doesn't sound like much, does it? confused )

Yes, this is/was a "Mills project".

#21995 - 05/18/03 10:31 AM Re: Xanadu
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Pim,

Thanks. I didn't know this was the Mills project. With the El Corte Ingles there, I doubt that we will see significantly lower prices though.

#21996 - 05/18/03 11:50 AM Re: Xanadu
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Thank you Fernando y Pim,
It sounds great! Particularly on a rainy afternoon. I have to admit I love el Corte Inglés because everything is in one place and the quality is wonderful, but the prices eek Anyway, it should be a great deal of fun around las Navidades (Christmas)!

#21997 - 05/18/03 03:28 PM Re: Xanadu
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Is there a metro stop that will bring you there?

#21998 - 05/18/03 11:16 PM Re: Xanadu
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi Everone!

As I now live right in between Patomac Mills & Arundel Mills, 2 large mall/entertainment complexes in the DC/Maryland area, I was really excited a few months back to see that there was a project going on in Madrid, which is now called "Madrid Xanadu"! I've attached a link to it here: http://www.millsmadridxanadu.com/ , it says that it's "El mayor destino de Nieve, Compras, y Ocio De Europa", I can't wait to go!!

Here's the address, but it doesn't mention that it's close to a metro stop:
Madrid Xanadú
Carretera de Extremadura (N-V), Km 23.5, Margen Izquierdo,
Arroyomolinos, 28939 Madrid

Happy shopping!!

-GG

#21999 - 05/18/03 11:22 PM Re: Xanadu
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hello everybody

this new store
has made history of spain
now they have galerias preciados,el corte ingles,and now xanadu.
when i saw the name on the subject line of the post,
i thought it was something to do with la galicia,maybe some concert or band from coruna for instance.
again this is history taken place in 2003! laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2262 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments