Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21958 - 05/05/03 04:40 AM fountains in madrid / teleférico /entertainment for children
Elag2 Offline

Loc: England
I'm told that somewhere nearish the centre of Madrid there's a fountain you can walk inside? Does anyone know where it is please?
Also, is the telerifico worth making a trip to? And if so, in which direction is best?
I'm trying to think of things my 10-year-old son would like doing (ie not shopping (unless for ice-cream and chocolate), and not museums or art galleries) and that I'd like doing too (ie not funfairs). Any suggestions?
In answer to the question 'why go to Madrid at all?', we have some free air tickets! laugh

#21959 - 05/05/03 05:46 AM Re: fountains in madrid / teleférico /entertainment for children
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The founatain you're referring to must be the cascading water at the base of the Plaza de Colón . Here, you can walk down some steps and walk under the water. It's really pretty cool - both figuratively and literally speaking. Plaza de Colón is the first plaza north of fountain of Cibeles..

El Teleférico is, in my opinion, a nice and high 15-minute ride on a 2-4 person gondola from/to Rosaleda Park to/from the large Casa de Campo. It gives a good view of the western side of Madrid while going over the river valley. I like this ride. They give, in Spanish, an audio description of that which you're seeing from that particular position on the "ride". On the Casa de Campo side they have a high terraza that serves snack foods and drink with a decent, distant view of Madrid. Keep in mind that some have been bothered by the obvious prostitution presence in the Casa de Campo in the day and night.

Other ideas: Madrid\'s Zoo is supposed to be good as is the Parque de Atracciones (Amusement Park). Both are located in the Casa de Campo.

Not far from the Rosaleda Park is "El Faro de Moncloa" (the Moncloa Lighthouse) which is a 92-meter half-disc, floating spaceship on a 92-meter pedestal and gives a good 360º view of western Madrid. It's cheap to go up but is closed on Mondays/winters. You go up/down in a glass elevator and is never busy. It's located by the Arco de la Vitoria.

a row-boat ride through the ducks on the "lake" of the Retiro Park always looks like so much fun. I've never done it but always wanted to. I understand it's a bit pricey for the 15-30 minute boat rental.

Also in Retiro Park you'll find many street performers and puppet shows. But, of course, he won't understand (will he?) Spanish so the puppet shows won't be so enjoyable.

If he's into gory stuff (as are many 10-year olds) and isn't prone to nightmares you could consider taking him to the bullfight museum in the Plaza de Toros - Las Ventas.

That's all I can think of this morning. Hope you both have a wonderful time. There's SO MUCH to see and do in Madrid it's incredible.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21960 - 05/05/03 09:28 AM Re: fountains in madrid / teleférico /entertainment for children
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Elag2

Hi, don't discount the things such as the Prado and Reina Sofia etc. When I took my (then) 13, 11 and 6 year olds to Madrid, they were happy to go to these places as long as we didn't stay too long, and they maybe got to go to the cafe, and ride in the glass lift (Reina Sofia) etc.

They loved staying up late and hanging out in Plaza St Ana (there was a small playground there, I don't know if it's gone?)

I found that we didn't have to do anything different or special to entertain the kids, they were intrigued enough in the normal things to keep them happy.

Madrid Vision Bus was a great idea. Also going to look at the Bernebeu stadium impressed them too.

My three don't get to 'big' shops much so El Corte Ingles was a favourite with them.

Moncloa tower is worth going up too. Great views from there.

Hmmm, I'm sure there are many more things, but I can't remember at the moment.

Depending on how long you're staying for, a train ride to somewhere such as Alcala de Henares could be worth doing. You get the train station and train ride experience (Atocha) and then the Alcala experience at the other end.

I suppose it all depends on what your 10 yr old likes to do, but you might not know what will go down well till you actually get there and do it.

It'll be great I'm sure, whatever you end up doing.

Jo

#21961 - 05/06/03 05:51 PM Re: fountains in madrid / teleférico /entertainment for children
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
There are several museums for kids:
Museo del ferrocarril (old trains)
Wax museum.
Botanical garden
Real Madrid museum
Naval museum
Faunia (animal habitats).

ABP

#21962 - 05/09/03 06:08 AM Re: fountains in madrid / teleférico /entertainment for children
Elag2 Offline

Loc: England
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I'll report back after our trip, including almost certainly an extensive survey of ice-cream outlets rolleyes :p

#21963 - 05/10/03 12:07 AM Re: fountains in madrid / teleférico /entertainment for children
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Although I find the zoo to be a little cramped and sad, we loved the included aquarium and dolphin show. The Parque de Atraciones is really great, too.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2209 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments