Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21938 - 04/24/03 11:36 PM Anyone been to Malaga?
Marian5 Offline

Loc: NYC
I have to fly out of Malaga and am wondering if there are any beaches to enjoy there since I have to spend a night and morning there. I'm having a hard time getting any opinions or experience in Malaga. Is it just a transit point? Is there anything other than the paseo? I will be staying at the parador gibraltaro - anyone been there?

The flight from Malaga-Barcelona is much cheaper compared to Granada-Barcelona which is the primary reason for being in Malaga. Should we not bother staying in Malaga and try to get to Barcelona as soon as possible? Perhaps try the beach in Sitges? I really want to touch water before I leave Spain the next day. Thanks for any help.

#21939 - 04/25/03 05:51 AM Re: Anyone been to Malaga?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Marian5

I suspect that Mr Anchovy Front (message board member) will have some words of wisdom on this topic for you shortly. I also suspect that he will suggest that you stay for 3 weeks in Malaga instead of just overnight rolleyes wink wink

I've never been, but I have heard from many people that it is a very interesting city and well worth a visit.

I'm not sure where your parador is situated, is it near the city centre, the airport, or the beach?

Sorry I'm not much help, I'm sure someone will come up with some more precise info for you cool

Jo

#21940 - 04/25/03 12:52 PM Re: Anyone been to Malaga?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Hi Marian! Speaking as a wise man, I suggest you try and stay for 3 weeks in Malaga...... laugh

Actually, it is worth a visit in my biased opinion. I don't know when you are thinking of staying there, but the beaches are not the best reason for being in the city. They're OK, but not the best in the world. If it's just for a few hours, then sure, relax on the sand, cool dip your toes in the water and have some fresh fish at the beach bars.

The city itself does have some nice sights though. Walking down from the parador (from where you have stunning views over the city) you will see the Alcazaba http://www.guiri.net/malaga_cityinfo/malaga02_en.htm and find yourself in the historic centre at the bottom of the hill.

The cathedral is worth a visit and the side streets of the surrounding area are home to some great tapas bars. Nightlife is brilliant, due to the university students and locals intent on having a good time. Live music in the form of rock bands or orchestras can be had most weeks.

Enjoy it! smile

#21941 - 04/25/03 01:23 PM Re: Anyone been to Malaga?
Marian5 Offline

Thanks guys,
Unfortunately Anchovy, I don't have that kind of time. Anchovy Front, I've read lots of warnings (crime)regarding walking down from the top of gibralfora (all guidebooks mention it). Is it so? Also, my in-laws and husband will enjoy the paseo & city - I'm the beach person - how do you get to the beach from the parador? Is it far? BTW JoAnne, the parador is up on a hill overlooking the city and the website makes it look wonderful.

#21942 - 04/25/03 02:03 PM Re: Anyone been to Malaga?
zorro37 Offline

Loc: England
Hi, I studied at Malaga Univ and a language school the last two years. Yep I agree with writer a lovely city. Too many people geta cheap flight and rush to leave Malaga for other cities - big mistake.
Crime around the city centre? No. The area you mentioned is very well policed. Even in the narrow streets of the old city late at night I feel very safe.
For the beach I like Pedragalejo. only 10 mins by no.11 bus from city centre.The old fishermans houses are still there and inhabited. The beach stretches for miles. A really nice walk lots of small cafes and of course the man on the beach itself cooking fish.
By the way don't get a taxi from the airport. The train is so cheap and takes you into the city centre. On arrival at airport go down to lower floor and follow the signs marked either "tren" with a train symmbol or "cercania" that's the local line. Don't get off at the first station you come to marked "Malaga RENFE" but the next and last station "Malaga Centro". Good luck!
Zorro37

#21943 - 04/25/03 03:12 PM Re: Anyone been to Malaga?
Marian5 Offline

Zorro, may I ask your opinion? I'm now debating whether to rent a car from Granada and drive along the coast, staying the night at Nerja to wind down for a brief "Costa de Sol experience", then flying out of the Malaga airport that afternoon or early evening. What do you think - better to spend that night/morning in the Parador in Malaga or the Parador in Nerja? I want the experience to be just relaxing after our crazy trip all over Spain. By the way, how far is Nerja from the airport? Any advice would be great.

#21944 - 04/25/03 03:14 PM Re: Anyone been to Malaga?
Marian5 Offline

Zorro, if you have been to the caves of Nerja, is it worth delaying my flight from the afternoon to the evening just to see them?

#21945 - 04/26/03 08:11 AM Re: Anyone been to Malaga?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
Marian, I was just in malaga a few weeks ago. I stayed closer to torremolinos though. Here is the story, the water is nice, the mountains are nice but the beaches are not that nice. They don´t have that white sand like cadiz. You can take the train at the airport to MALAGA. The costa del sol is very developed. I would suggest getting a hotel in malaga then during the day you can take the train to torremolinos or fuengirola or the beach in Malaga. It basically runs along the coastline and costs €1.10. This way you can enjoy the beach during the day and enjoy the incredible nightlife of Malaga by night since there are great bars there.Two to three days max.

#21946 - 04/26/03 09:05 AM Re: Anyone been to Malaga?
zorro37 Offline

Hi Marian, Nerja is very pleasant and tranquil.As to a hire car I wouldn't touch them. Remember I said earlier that it was a shame people flew into Malaga only to rush off to Granada, Sevilla etc? The only down side to the Costa del sol is the road & autopista in that area. The Spanish newspapers refer to them as the "roads of death" everyone in a hurry & I suppose not used to Spanish roads, traffic signs and also perhaps a bit of jet lag.
The cercania as the previous writer correctly says runs along the coast from Malaga to Fuengirola. Nice ride.As you are there briefly I would stay in Malaga.Also if you do get the local train avoid Torremolinos its awful and tacky. Benalmadena is Ok but like Torremolinos the rail station are at the top of the cliffs and the beach way down below!! Fuengirola is flat and is populated mainly by the older& retired Brits and a large community of scandanavians. You can stay there for months & never hear or speak a word of Spanish unless you want to!!! If you are visiting these resorts then I suggest get the bus that will put you off at the beaches as the road naturally follows the lower part of the coast. The bus & train are cheap and buses plentiful. You can get the bus to Sevilla, Granada, Nerja,Mijas. Mijas is a lovely little village up in the hills with great views and a lovely little bull ring you would like even if you don't like bullfighting.. Naturally, you can get the bus farther afield to Marbella & Cadiz but Marbella is the farthest you could go for a day trip. From your parador walk down to the main road , the Alameda principal walking away from the port.On your left is the big main Post Office building. The road changes its name to Avenida de Andalucia. Pass "El Corte Ingles" a big department store on your right. get to the big department store on your left "Larios Centro" then walk round or thu' "Larios" to the back. The main line station "Malaga RENFE" and the bus station are next door to each other. You can get the local train (cercania) at the main line station also.
Buena suerte!
Zorro37

#21947 - 04/26/03 09:28 AM Re: Anyone been to Malaga?
zorro37 Offline

Marian, Oops! Sorry! I forgot the caves. they are Ok but not worth going to stay the night for!!
If you look at the map you see Malaga then to the left the coastal route of the cercania. Also to the left the airport. Way over to the right of Malaga is Nerja. So staying at Nerja you have to travel further to any resort you may want to visit and a lengthy journey to the airport.
By the way I think you said you were staying at Parador Gibralfaro. Muy bien!!! Your near the old town. So when you visit Plaza de la Merced (Picasso, the museum etc) look out for the cinema "Albeniz cine" I've never seen a art decor cinema so nice.
With your back to the Instituto Picasso in the plaza Walk forward to the the narrow street with the farmacia on the corner. Walk down there for three minutes then go into any of the old bars with heavy wooden doors on the right hand side. A real experience and great atmosphere but go early - they are heaving with Spaniards having their afternoon tapas. I was a bit intimidated the 1st time but really enjoy it now!
Zorro37

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2064 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments