Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21916 - 04/17/03 02:44 PM San Sebastian
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Any information, tips, favorite restaurants, etc. relevant for a trip to San Sebastian? And Madridman, I am directing this at least in part to you, since I know you were just there!

My husband and I will be visiting for a couple of days in late May (staying at the Hotel Niza) and would welcome any suggestions. Thanks!

#21917 - 04/17/03 08:06 PM Re: San Sebastian
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Sorry I am not Madridman, but I did just return from San Sebastian.

My wife and I spent most of our time in the old section of the City; we stayed at the Maria Christina. We ate dinner only one evening, at Urepel on Calle Salamanca. You need to make reservations because they only have one sitting during the evening. Why did we only eat dinner one evening? Because the last three days we enjoyed a big meal at lunch, the menu del dia at Juantxo Taberna and Alotzu Jatetxea. Then in the evening we walked among the old town bars enjoying Pintxos. Pintxos are Basque version of Tapas; only they are spread out along the bar rather than ordering from a menu. You walk in ask for a plate, glass of wine or beer, and help yourself. When you get ready to leave, tell bartender what you ate and drank, and he will tell you your bill. An honor system! Do not be intimated if you do not know Spanish or if the bar is crowded with locals. I know a little, especially food items, the locals will help you understand what you are eating even if they do not know English. I really enjoyed myself, everyone was very helpful and friendly, and I was a little concerned since that day my country just started a war. I think the bartenders were a little surprised since we showed up three nights in a row. But I was greeted with a big smile, and a warm greeting. I recommend stopping at several bars throughout the night. I call it grazing.

Oh! I recommend the Baby Squids in there own Black Ink Sauce (chipirones en su tinta) for lunch, it taste better than it sounds.

Before grazing, my wife and I would walk along the coastal walkway, and watch the people of San Sebastian walk, visit friends and neighbors, and go about their everyday lives. We would time it to watch the fisherman unload their boats of Hake.

There is a great laundry on Calle Indigo, the young woman will help you get started, and this is not a coin-operated laundry. You give her the money and she will start the machine and add soap. The prices are listed on the door.

We took three day trips. We took the bus to Bilbao to visit Museo Guggenheim, I think they leave and return every hour. We left the car at the hotel. We drove to the Santuario de Loyola, the home of St. Ignatius the founder of the Jesuits. Also, we drove to Hondarriba and walked along the buildings of the old town. Our favorite was Santuario de Loyola, because an old Jesuit priest gave us a personalized tour of the santuario. How old was he? He had spent 45 years at the Vatican before spending the last l2 years at the shire. We were the only visitors that morning, and I think he was lonely. He really wanted to talk with us and he didn’t speak any English. Our tour lasted several hours!

We enjoyed San Sebastian. I hope you do too.

#21918 - 04/18/03 02:54 PM Re: San Sebastian
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Thank you VERY much for your response to my query. I really appreciate your suggestions and insights. We'll only be there for two nights, but we hope to make the most of it!

#21919 - 04/18/03 07:15 PM Re: San Sebastian
Esteban Offline

Loc: LA
When in san Sebastian you must visit the restaurant ARZAK located at Alto de Miracruz, 21 -Tels. 278465/285593

It is moderately upscale restaurant that sepcializes in traditional basques dishes. It is always on our list when in the city. Say Hi to the owner Juan Mari Arzak. They only take reservations so you will have to call ahead of time. If you are unfamiliar with the basque cuisne the staff will be more than willing to asist you. I guarantee it will be a unique and delicious dining experience.

#21920 - 04/18/03 08:01 PM Re: San Sebastian
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello liz49!
gsbotta did a great job clueing you in about "San Se" - probably better than I could have done. If interested, curious, or bored, I just uploaded the entries for San Sebastián and environs to the MadridMan´s 2003 Madrid & Basque Region Trip . Lots of detailed information there.

Have a GREAT time. It´s an elegant, very safe, quite expensive city to visit. Friends tell me it´s the MOST expensive city in all of Spain, including Barcelona and Madrid but I didn´t find it all that unusually expensive.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21921 - 05/09/03 04:39 PM Re: San Sebastian
blueterrier Offline

True, the Hostals/Hotels are amongst the most expensive in Spain but the plusses(is that a word?) far outweight the minuses.Just to walk along La Concha in the morning sunshine with only the sound of the old boys who play that mad ball game against the sea wall makes the long trip worth it, and to cap it all the old town is a fantastic place to eat and drink til the small hours.
saluz

#21922 - 05/09/03 08:20 PM Re: San Sebastian
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Couldn't agree with you more, blueterrier. And, by the way, welcome to our little message board!

San Se is really something special. I can't stress this enough. "Special". Special, if you can afford to stay there for a few days. Special, if you can just while-away the hours walking through La Parte Vieja or along the promenade of La Concha beach. WALKING. This is one of Spain's great pasttimes and it's how you see the best parts of it too. Just W A L K. Take your time. Enjoy the scenery.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21923 - 06/04/03 01:04 AM Re: San Sebastian
jrt Offline

Loc: canada
Having recently visited San Se at the end of April/03,we would certainly agree that it's a wonderful city.We would also agree with Estabans comments about Arzak.We loved the whole experience.It's definitely worth the money spent.The tasting menu was good value for 91 euros,considering the fact that the least expensive entree is 30 euros and desserts are all 14.5 euros.At the other end of the price scale we would highly recommend Restaurant Bodegon Alejandro on c/Fermin Calbeton 4.It's run by Martin Berasetegui who has a 3-star restaurant in Lasarte, just outside San Se.The 3 course lunch menu was 12.5 euros including a bottle of wine.Great value.There's so many excellent places to eat and drink.A bar called Casa Valles on c/Reyes Catolicos 9 on the other side of Buen Pastor cathedral is a great place to start or end a night of bar hopping,especially if you're staying near the cathedral.It's very popular with locals and has tables outside on the pedestrian only street.We stayed at Pensión La Perla c/Inazio Loiola, tel:943428123. It's very close to Buen Pastor cathedral and across the street from the market.Very clean, comfortable,and quiet with an exceedingly amiable manager named Maria.We paid 40 euros for a triple (2 adults,1 toddler) with shower, toilet and great view of the cathedral.Tremendous value for San Se.We love San Se and can't wait to return.GO REAL SOCIEDAD,the title will be yours.What a party that would be!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments