Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21906 - 04/16/03 12:49 PM Small Town Feria
OhMike Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Does anyone know of a small town that has a harvest festival and bullfight in late summer? I'm looking for a small-town experience, something like what Pamplona would have been around the turn of the century, before Hemingway. When I was in Spain a couple of summers ago, I saw a cartel advertising exactly such a thing, but I forgot the name of the town, although I would think in Spain there are probably plenty of such ferias. I was told that the locals away from Madrid are very hospitable when they have American visitors, as they are not so inured to us as their Madrid cousins may be. Any suggestions? -OhMike

#21907 - 04/16/03 01:41 PM Re: Small Town Feria
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
He , near Madrid (about 20 kms ) there is a small town :"San Sebastian de los Reyes" that have one similar to Pamplona: I think is about end of September(but I am not sure exactly)

#21908 - 04/16/03 02:42 PM Re: Small Town Feria
vicente2 Offline

Loc: southern spain
When I was a child I went to this “ capea ” in mid September.
It's 2 hours north-west of Sevilla and 5 hours south west of Madrid.

#21909 - 04/17/03 05:29 PM Re: Small Town Feria
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
There are ferias in Fuentesauco the first week of July. There is a bullfight and an encierro as well. Two years ago they inauguerated their new bullring and I saw El Juli and Finito de Cordoba there. I was surprised as the town itself is quite small.
http://www.pueblos-espana.org/castilla+y+leon/zamora/fuentesauco/

K. Sanchez

#21910 - 04/19/03 05:45 AM Re: Small Town Feria
OhMike Offline

ABP, Vicente2, and SalaChic, thank you all. The information you provided regarding small town ferias was terrific. Now, of course, my problem is how to visit ALL of them because they all sound wonderful. I better win El Gordo soon so I will have the time and money to do all the great things there are to do in Spain. Thanks again. -OhMike

#21911 - 04/19/03 06:41 AM Re: Small Town Feria
Akordish Offline

Loc: Pozuelo de Alarcon, Spain
Just another!! I would highly recommend visiting Chinchon http://www.madrid.org/economia/tematico/con_mad/pdf/ingles/comunidad_chinchon_ingles.PDF
The community festival week is in mid-august. It's an easy drive, great food, ..... check out the link.

#21912 - 04/19/03 06:53 AM Re: Small Town Feria
OhMike Offline

Akordish, the town of Chinchon sounds pefect. I am really going to have to win El Gordo. smile There are just too many great places to visit. I don't know how I will ever make it to all of them--but it is worth trying. -OhMike

#21913 - 04/19/03 02:22 PM Re: Small Town Feria
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Last summer we caught the feria in Constantina, about an hour north of Sevilla. Very cool small town feria, with beautiful dresses and caballeros. The bull ring is right next to the fiesta and we watched the matador, other bull fighter types and horses enter the ring. I have friends in Sevilla that love to go to this one. A quick google search said that it is Aug 28 to 31, 2003.

#21914 - 04/21/03 05:52 AM Re: Small Town Feria
Miguelito Offline

The fiestas of the north are very different ot those from the south. If you want to see the bulls, San Sebastian de los Reyes or Leganés will be great but the spirit of the fiesta is much different from the one in Pamplona (I mean the music (charangas), etc..
I think some towns of Segovia, Soria, Teruel or País Vasco could look like more like Pamplona..

#21915 - 04/21/03 04:40 PM Re: Small Town Feria
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Mike-
You may want to do a search on "Olite". I posted quite a bit last fall on my trip in September to this beautiful gothic town 45 minutes from Pamplona. They have a festival in September that lasts a week and it was incredible!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2028 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments