Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21859 - 03/30/03 05:53 PM North/Northeast Spain Suggestions?
thijs Offline

Going to Spain next month. The current plan is to restrict our travels in a triangle from Bilboa, Figueres, down to Valencia (for time and quality concerns of course).

I'm stopping at Paradors along the way. Is there anything in and around these areas that those of you who are more experienced insist I *must* see? Not too worried about major sites (Barcelona is in, major museums are in), but any "off the beaten path" suggestions would be great!

#21860 - 03/31/03 04:12 PM Re: North/Northeast Spain Suggestions?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
If you will have a car, there is a really nice little hostal outside of Hondarribía (formerly Fuenterrabía) with wonderful owners to match. It's called Casa Iketxe. Our room was divine with an excellent bed, lovely linens, balcony/terrace, and well-equipped bathroom. Patxi, who built and owns the Casa, is wonderfully animated, accommodating and muy simpatico. He accompanied us on a "walk" (he usually jogs the distance!) to a not-too-distant hilltop of ruins and a restaurant with good local/regional cooking. He speaks a little English but primarily Spanish and Euskerra, the Basque language. You can try the "search" feature above or e-mail me direct.

Hondarribía itself is a lovely, prosperous coastal town. There is a Parador there if you prefer. The town also boasts many fine restaurants for both dinner and tapas. One of our favorites is on Paseo Butron. It is Restaurante Arraunlari. (No, I didn't remember the name but I have a wine coaster souvenir from there.) We had the menú which features wonderful seafood dishes and desserts (notice the plural) and great house wine (white). Lovely, sophisticated and wonderful service at a very reasonable price.--CC

#21861 - 03/31/03 07:56 PM Re: North/Northeast Spain Suggestions?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I'm sure the Guggenheim in Bilbao is on your list and if you take the Bus Vision tour of Bilbao, you will see much of that city including la Begonia Cathedral; but the Mercado on the rio Nervion at the border of the Casco Viejo is really extraordinary. The Plaza Mayor in the Casco Viejo is also worth a stop.

Enjoy the Basque cuisine in Bilbao also.

#21862 - 04/01/03 09:31 AM Re: North/Northeast Spain Suggestions?
scangel17 Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho, USA
My sister and I just returned from a trip to Bilbao. If you are renting a car, I would stop at Sevilla and Avila for the castle and cathedral experiences. The city of Bilbao is amazing and there is much to see there. Enjoy the laid back atmosphere. The people there are wonderfully peaceful as they stroll through the streets, stopping to chat with neighbors and friends. It is such a relaxing atmosphere. Enjoy!!!

#21863 - 04/01/03 11:13 AM Re: North/Northeast Spain Suggestions?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
Hello Everybody

If your only traveling through the north of spain,I got a great recommendation for you.

First go to barcelona soak it up for 2 days.go northwest along this highway whose name I have forgotten(its the only highway along that route)
to gerona.Soak that great place for a day which together with soaking up barcelona will give you a nice northeast catalan experience that you will possibly love.In gerona dont forget the placa independencia and the nearby old quarter across the river that there.Then observe the beautiful northern catalan countryside with it wonderful green rolling hills anfd mounains on your way to bilbao.See the old quarter and its sunday market and of course the modern guggenheim museum.check out the basque houses the streets everything.Then head over to leon then galicia and you will love it for it sure.A true northern spanish experence I must honestly say.

have a great northern spain trip.
which is the best in spain. laugh :p

#21864 - 04/05/03 12:09 AM Re: North/Northeast Spain Suggestions?
thijs Offline

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! I'm printing them out!!! Will let you know how it goes.

#21865 - 04/05/03 08:28 PM Re: North/Northeast Spain Suggestions?
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
One more place to be sure to go: Montserrat. But don't do a day trip. Rent a car and drive up in the afternoon, as the tour buses are leaving. Spend the night in the hotel up there. You'll be able to visit the basilica while it's nearly empty--one of the true highlights of my visits to Spain or anywhere. Hear the boys' choir there. Take a hike early in the morning up the mountain, then go to the small but excellent museum before the next day's tour buses arrive.
Montserrat is a great place to appreciate life and pray for sanity and wisdom among world leaders. ( And thanks again for your posts on another thread).
Another idea: If you drive from Hondarrabia or San Sebastian towards Bilbao, exit the highway at Deba. Drive along the coast and you will see a most spectacular coastline. Stop in Mundaka along the way. I hope you have good weather. There's a reason why northern Spain is so green.

#21866 - 04/06/03 03:56 PM Re: North/Northeast Spain Suggestions?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Along the Costa Vasca, you'll find all sorts of little tresures. I recommend a lunch stop in Bermeo or Bakio. Not much in Mundaka unless you surf...then it's paradise! You'll also head by the old monastery of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, which is built on a promontory off the coast. Quite a sight.

On your travels from Bilbao to Valencia (or vice-versa...couldn't tell where you're headed first...), I recommend the towns of Olite or Santo Domingo de la Calzada for a stop. Very small, charming, and historic. See the Olite Parador here. Click here for Santo Domingo information.

Have a great trip!

#21867 - 04/12/03 02:32 PM Re: North/Northeast Spain Suggestions?
thijs Offline

Calibasco,

We're starting from Barcelona, going to Bilboa, then going straight-west to Figueres, then down to Valencia.

I'll check those links you included...thanks!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments