Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#21832 - 03/15/03 10:41 PM Visiting Chinchon?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Is Chinchon worth a stop? --CC

#21833 - 03/16/03 06:12 AM Re: Visiting Chinchon?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
100% yes in my opinion. Spent a whole day there once but would love to have spent longer.

The old sloping Plaza is fascinating, the castle has spectacular views and the church has a Goya (fresco?). The views over the village from the church are great.

When I visited, there was a wild fiesta going on - only it turned out not to be a fiesta, but a film crew filming a pretend fiesta for a Lenor fabric conditioner advert rolleyes It was fun watching that from the cafes round the Plaza.

Oh, and the Chinchon aniseed drink thing is pretty nice too cool

It's a great place to be totally relaxed - it's tiny, but enough to keep you interested for a stopover.

Jo

#21834 - 03/16/03 10:35 AM Re: Visiting Chinchon?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

yeah i think it is worth it.
for example:

if your in madrid you always have the chance to visit chinchon.its fairly near madrid.its better to visit the towns that are in your reach or that you have time for than just visiting fabulous madrid.i mean why not.
you could spend 1 day and a half in madrid and spend the next half in chinchon or even alcala de henares wink :p .
ive been to madrid and alcala de henares but not chinchon,but since i love spanish documentaries on spain t.v.
i ear chinchon is a very picturesque and charming place.
i you doubt me still then take in mind that alot of MADRIDLENOS love to spend there weekend there.

HAVE FUN CHINCHON
AND ENJOY SPAIN TO THE FULLEST
WHILE LUCKY TO BE THERE

have fun

#21835 - 03/16/03 04:54 PM Re: Visiting Chinchon?
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Interesting agricultural village with two amazing suckling pig and roasted lamb restaurants. Beautiful parador with a famous cocido dish at lunch time. Worth visiting, but Toledo comes first by no means.

Andrés

#21836 - 03/16/03 06:36 PM Re: Visiting Chinchon?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I considered going this time and discovered that the bus schedule is quite good. I have heard is is a very nice side trip and hope to do it in the future.

#21837 - 03/16/03 06:45 PM Re: Visiting Chinchon?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I think the bus is hourly back to Madrid cool

#21838 - 03/16/03 07:21 PM Re: Visiting Chinchon?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
With that resounding "ole," I think we'll overnight in Chinchon, rather than Aranjuez. After all, we'll have just spent time in Granada (and visited the Alhambra) so little Chinchon sounds like a nice change. Atmospheric, small, delicious! (Now for a place to stay? I posted in the hostels forum. I believe the parador is beyond our budget. Suggestions? And don't hesitate to tell us about the best restaurant in town!)--CC

#21839 - 03/16/03 08:45 PM Re: Visiting Chinchon?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Carole, I think you will love Chinchón. It is quaint and very atmospheric. Whenever we go we always eat at the Mesón Cuevas del Vino which is just a delightful place. I think you would like it too.

#21840 - 03/16/03 09:27 PM Re: Visiting Chinchon?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Chinchón is one of those cute little villages near Madrid which is where madrileños LOVE to visit on the weekends to have dinner. They're famous for their chochinillo/roasted suckling pig (or is it "ternera"? I don't recall now). I can't believe when I went there last with my madrileña ladyfriend that the place where we ate, at the corner of their Plaza Mayor, on the balcony overlooking the plaza, that they were OUT OF COCHINILLO!! I think I had ternera or cordero instead. BOTH delicious and my mouth is watering just thinking about it... Mmmmmm..

Chinchón is one of the cute little walkable villages... Just strolling along... VERY cute at dusk when the church overlooking the plaza is illuminated. Mmm.. Nice. Can't wait to go back.

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. I wrote the above after 2 glasses of Rueda white wine from Valladolid. Mmmm.. rolleyes

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21841 - 03/16/03 10:50 PM Re: Visiting Chinchon?
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Everybody has forgotten to mention the greatest treasure of Chinchón, the anis. It is an absolute requirement to order several "chupitos" if you visit this town. Of course, I prefer slightly La Castellana,as I am in love with the beautiful "moza" laugh on its bottle and its smooth taste.

Saludos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments