Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21782 - 03/04/03 08:12 AM day trips in navarra area
emilyka Offline

Loc: Pamplona
Hey-

I am living in Pamplona and my mother will be coming to see me in semana santa. We are planning on her staying at my house for a week or so and renting a car to make day trips (or maybe spend a night somewhere else). This will be her second trip here and the both of us have already seen Olite, Javier, Leyre, Oliva monastery. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions of places we could go without spending forever in the car. My mom seems to be interested in seeing "basque" villages, I thought the Baztan or Ulzama might be nice, as well as maybe some forays into Guipuzcua. Also considering going to the Ordesa park in Aragon. Any suggestions would be handy,

Em

#21783 - 03/04/03 11:08 AM Re: day trips in navarra area
Miguelito Offline

Ordesa is beautiful. I don't know very much Navarra but some of the most famous places I'ld like to visit are Selva de Irati, Roncal Valley, Roncesvalles, and San Juan de la Peña Monastery (this one in Huesca)

#21784 - 03/04/03 03:43 PM Re: day trips in navarra area
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I highly recommend Jaca (Huesca) - it's not too far from Pamplona. There is a lot to do and see. If you run a search you may find some of my earlier postings about it. All my family has been there, and they keep going back!

#21785 - 03/04/03 05:02 PM Re: day trips in navarra area
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Now we're talking! I suggest you drive towards the French border town of St.Jean pied-de Port and stop along the towns that have grown up along the Camino de Santiago.

Here are some suggestions:
Valcarlos (the city may not look like much, but if you go north off the main road right across the street from City Hall, and go up the hill to the left, you'll happen upon an old Basque cemetery with some older, whitewashed headstones). This is the first all-Spanish town along the Camino.

Roncesvalles: A bit more well-touristed, there is much to see and much history, including a nice little museum with some old relics and artifacts.

Burguete and Mezkiritz: Two very typical Basque towns; small and quaint.

There are a number of other small villages along the road, many with hidden treasures.

Getting off the road and into Gipuzkoa, I recommend Azpeitia or Andoain. Azpeitia is nice and nestled into the green hillsides of the area.

West of Pamplona, you will find Puente la Reina/Gares along the Camino. Great little place, and loads of history. This is where the eastern roads to Santiago converge into one.

Further west are the cities of Estella and Navarrete, both worthy of your time, and the Monastery of Iratxe, which is also worth the trip.

Too bad it's Semana Santa and not Mes Santo, you'd have more time to visit all these places!! laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments