Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21755 - 02/27/03 04:27 PM Advice Needed - Cordoba or Toledo
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
I will be coming to Spain to attend a Spanish language school in Seville. I plan on staying in Madrid (Does anyone have any information on the Hostal Barrera?) for my first three nights and then taking the AVE to Seville on Sunday, 29 March (probably in the afternoon as I might check out the Rastro in the morning). My flight out of Madrid leaves on the afternoon of 15 April and I will be leaving Seville on Sunday, 13 April (the 1st day of Santa Semana).

I'm thinking of two options for my last two days in Spain - either return directly to Madrid and take a day trip to Toledo or stop in Cordoba for one night on the way back from Seville. I'd rather spend my last night in Madrid just to be on the safe side.

Which option would people suggest (or I'm open to a third option)? (There's also a chance that a trip to Cordoba might be in the offing when I'm in Seville so that this becomes mute but I don't know about the school's scheduled trips yet.)

Thanks

#21756 - 03/01/03 08:41 AM Re: Advice Needed - Cordoba or Toledo
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I found the Mesquita in Cordoba to be one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen and a quite moving experience. Especially today, with the tension between the Muslim and Western societies, it is a real eye opener. Imagine how Christians would feel if one their most beautiful cathedrals were taken over and turned into a mosque.

#21757 - 03/04/03 03:42 PM Re: Advice Needed - Cordoba or Toledo
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Hands down, Toledo. Definately consider spending the night in Toledo though. It's so nice in the evening and early morning before the day trippers come in.

#21758 - 03/04/03 08:32 PM Re: Advice Needed - Cordoba or Toledo
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Toledo is definitely a MUST-SEE and they demand that new constructions and renovations follow strict medieval-style building codes and it's like this from edge to edge.

Córdoba is REALLY something special too. La Mezquita is only outdone by the Alhambra and La Judería (the Jewish Quarter) and orange-lined narrow streets definitely give you an Arabian-village feel.

Really, both are so different but given your schedule it might be best to do the Toledo daytrip (or spend the night) after returning to Madrid. You'll be glad you did!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21759 - 03/04/03 08:52 PM Re: Advice Needed - Cordoba or Toledo
wjw2 Offline

Loc: Eau Claire WI
Another option is Segovia, which is about an hour and a few minutes by train from Madrid. It is North-NorthWest, and the train ride is great! I happen to like mountains and smaller towns... .
Toledo was great too! But I really did enjoy Segovia more. The Aqua-duct there is something to see! What an engineering feat! Anyway, I just thought I would toss that out for you to consider.
wjw

#21760 - 03/05/03 12:16 AM Re: Advice Needed - Cordoba or Toledo
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I totally agree with WJW2. Segovia is a magical city. It's like walking through a time machine...
You might want to take the bus, La Sepulvedana,their terminal is at Paseo de La Florida 11.

whether you come by train or by bus, be sure that you take either a bus, or a taxi to the Aqueduct.

To me it's the perfect daytrip from Madrid. You can spend a leisurely day and see a lot of spanish history. I suggest you dine at Meson de Candido, one of Spain's oldest restaurant, famous for their cochinillo asado, its so tender they have an act where they cut it with a plate!

Of course, the Aqueduct is breathtaking, and I was told that it had been used up to the 1970! eek Those Romans built well!

You proceed up a broad avenue and to the Plaza Mayor, very small, but charming, there you'll find lots of wonderful ceramic tile souvenirs.

Next to the Plaza is the Cathedral, a stunning edifice, which has a great museum. continue up and you end up at the Alcazar, oka as Cinderella's Castle in Disney World laugh

From the Alcazar, you look down into a small valley where you find the Vera Cruz Church, constructed in the 13th century by the Knights Templar!

Anyway, in my opinion a great place to visit in a day!

#21761 - 03/06/03 01:32 PM Re: Advice Needed - Cordoba or Toledo
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
Now you've all got me wanting to go to Cordoba, Segovia, and Toledo! I could do 2 out of the 3 if I leave Sevilla instead on 12 April. But I figure Santa Semana is worth at least seeing the first day of, no?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments