Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21742 - 02/23/03 10:21 PM Marbella->Granada as a day trip
NatalieM Offline

I finally have my itinerary planned, but am now wondering...We are staying in Marbella the last week of March, then traveling around for another 9 days. We have been planning to visit Granada & the Alhambra as a long day trip from Marbella. Is this realistic? Fodorites seem to feel this is way too far to drive, but I'm guessing Madrid Manites (Madrid Manions?) may be a hardier crowd. Any opinions? Thanks!

#21743 - 02/24/03 07:32 AM Re: Marbella->Granada as a day trip
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
My wife and two daughter did it last year. I didn't think the drive was too long. If I remember, it was 2.5 hours. It did make for a long day. While in Granada, do not forget to visit the Capella Real. Get your tickets in advance for the Alhambra.

#21744 - 02/24/03 11:20 AM Re: Marbella->Granada as a day trip
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
I think a day trip to Granada from Marbella is perfectly OK and in fact, I almost attempted this day trip but in my case, I was in Malaga, which about 30 minutes closer to Granada than Marbella. However, after much debate, I decided to make it a 2-day trip and also visited the Mezquita in Cordoba. From what I remember, the trip from Malaga to Granada took about 1 and 1/2 hours and so from Marbella, it should be about 2 hours. After visiting the Alhambra and Granada, at the end of the day, I drove about an hour to Jaen and stayed at the parador in Jaen, the Castillo de Santa Catalina. Excellent parador. By the way, if you ever doubt that Spain produces more olive oil than Italy, driving through Jaen, will convince you otherwise. You drive for hours and hours and miles and miles and all you see are olive trees. Anyway, from Jaen, I drove to Cordoba the next day and saw the Mezquita. I personally think you should visit Cordoba. Although the Alhambra in Granada is much more intriguing that the Mezquita in Cordoba, I liked the city of Cordoba betten than Granada because it seemed to have more character.

And so, in short, though a day trip from Marbella to Granada will probably take about 2 hours each way and is within reach, I would suggest that you make it a 2-day trip and also visit Cordoba. Just my two cents worth!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments