Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21702 - 02/07/03 03:29 PM NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
Jaybe Offline

Loc: Chepstow, South Wales, UK
Hello !
First time on the site. (Pls bear with me !)
Am planning a two week trip, starting in Barcelona. First time in Spain "properly" (otherwise, hve visited Torrevieja as a teenster !). A buddy and I - both with similar interests re travel, would greatly appreciate advice re what regions would be practical to see in the short time available. We plan to hostel, and get about as much as feasible on a budget of "hosteling proportions" ! A very broad question I know, but interests include - hiking, architecture, culture, gastronomy (!), and perhaps an amount of nightlife ! Cities and rural locations both ! Anyone done anything similar in the "North East quarter of the country ?" - Muchos gracias ! confused

#21703 - 02/11/03 12:57 PM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
Miguelito Offline

I don't know so well Cataluña, but there's much to see there, depending in what you like.
Barcelona can take you some days, the Dalí museum I think is in Figueres, and near Figueres is Cadaqués, I've heard it's a beautiful coast town, although I don't know it. Also there are some archeological Roman sites, the Delta del Ebro and the Pyrinees.
I hope someone could tell you something else.

#21704 - 02/11/03 01:27 PM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
Jaybe Offline

Thanks Miguelito - that's certainly given me something to go away and look into ! If anyone if familiar with the Pyrenees and has stayed anywhere within hiking distance - I'd like to hear your experiences ? Thanks again to you Miguelito.

#21705 - 02/12/03 02:01 AM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
Miguelito Offline

I have been in Ordesa National Park, is beautiful, also Benasque, both in Huesca. In Cataluña is Aigües Tortes N.P., I haven't visited it yet. Also the Val d'Aran is a very touristic place in Pyrinees, in Xalardu there is a hostel, but in high skiing season it will be impossible to get place. There are a lot of ski station.
Which season will you go?

#21706 - 02/12/03 12:48 PM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
viequense Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Well, I have to say that I had one week and did Barcelona, Sevilla and Granada...I know that isnt too close to Barc....but, believe me it was worth the long train ride between Barc and Sevilla!!! I fell in love with that city...and as for Granada???????????? What can you say???? The Alhambra will haunt me forever!

#21707 - 02/12/03 02:15 PM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
Jaybe Offline

Hey there guys !

The National Park sounds like a place not to miss. 'Will be in BCN at end of April - and as you suggest, will likely use as a base for 2/3 days. From your suggestions - it looks like there's lots to take in ! According to the RENFE route map - getting to the Park is via Zaragoza to Huesca. I hear the service is good (Britain could learn alot here I think !). Miguelita - were you a Int'l Hostel member ? I've travelled in Australia and E Europe, and it was helpful to be a member re prices etc, is that the case in Spain ?

Hey Vlequense - you did all that in a week ?! - You must have been moving at some pace !! Thanks for the info - Sevilla and Granada were on the list "in pencil" - I think now that they'll be confirmed ! The Alhambra sounds magnificent. Where did you stay - would you recommend the places ? Gracias otra vez, y hasta luego ! smile

#21708 - 02/12/03 04:33 PM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Barcelona is a wonderful, wonderful city. My wife and I really enjoyed Figueres, where Salvador Dalí grew up. Don't miss the "Museo Gala-Dalí." Not too far away is where they lived, a beautiful fishing village called Port Llegat. You should make reservations beforehand if you want to see the house/museum, although I doubt you would have problems getting lodging, but just in case. . . it is doable as a daytrip. Don't miss these two towns if you like Dalí's paintings!

When are you going to be coming? The weather can be nasty, especially in the north, so bring warm stuff and raingear for sure.

¡Hope you have "un viaje magnifico!"

Martín de Madrid
President,
First Class Pinups
"The Classical Alternative in Pinup Art"
Check out our new forums!
http://www.1stclasspinups.com

#21709 - 02/13/03 12:24 PM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
davidx Offline

I have folders of notes on Gerona and area, Pyrenees, Barcelona, Trips from Barcelona.
I am very willing to send these and/or URLs for stuff I have done with photos if you e-mail me
davidcross@frogsmore72.fsnet.co.uk

#21710 - 02/14/03 04:25 AM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
Samsonite Offline

Barcelona is great for walking and architecture. I also recommend Tarragona for its roman ruins and the sport of human tower building there.

#21711 - 02/14/03 12:15 PM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

#21712 - 02/16/03 05:29 PM Re: NE Spain: Pick your brains ??
Jaybe Offline

Thanks all for the invaluable information. DavidX - Great ! I'll e-mail you shortly. Samsonite - Human tower building ? I think I've seen a documentary that included some such feat - braves guys (and girls) - I'll take a helmet if I get that close ! Diana - Got the links, and very much appreciate them. MartindeMadrid - The Dali museum sounds interesting, and your web site is very fine - some beautiful paintings and I'll keep it in my favourites !

Thanks again - I only hope I can be such a mine of knowledge when I return ! Great website too Madridman ! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments