Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21675 - 02/04/03 03:24 PM Toledo and or Segovia from Madrid?
viequense Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Hi! I am traveling with my two kids, age 9 and 12 this trip and wondering which would be a better sidetrip out of Madrid.... Open to other ideas also. Any suggestions for hotels in these two areas would be great also! Or is just a day trip long enough?

Thanks!

PS...we only have a week in Spain (this trip)

#21676 - 02/04/03 04:26 PM Re: Toledo and or Segovia from Madrid?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
viequense, I think I would choose Toledo with kids of those ages. I am the first to vote for Salamanca most of the time, but Toledo will really keep their interest and is also a shorter drive from Madrid. You'll find tons of stuff to do, there's fun souvenir shopping for the kids to do, and they are bound to be captivated by the sights.

Go to Salamanca next trip! (Also Avila, Segovia, etc......)

Actually, since you're open to other suggestions, I think Segovia would really be a great trip with kids. The aqueduct is fabulous, of course, and what kid wouldn't fall in love with the Alcazar!? The cathedral is pretty too (though not as impressive as Toledo's, of course). If you go there, take a picnic lunch down to the park below the Alcazar--where you can take beautiful photos of the pointed front of it. It's one of the prettiest sights anywhere.

We also did some fun shopping in Segovia and you're certain to find a good meal.

#21677 - 02/04/03 04:40 PM Re: Toledo and or Segovia from Madrid?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I spent 4 days in TOoledo last summer with two kids. My son was 12 and loved the town. We stayed at: http://www.hostaldescalzos.com/ based on the recomendation of a person who was originally from Toledo. The owner has kids and was very helpful.

In addition to all the sites, we went to a sword place mentioned in Rick Steves' tour book and were treated like royalty. They gave us the grand tour and explained how they made swords and damascene plates. The place, Zamorano, is near the cathedral. It is a tiny place, but we had a great time thanks to Mariano Zamorano!! smile

Toledo is safe and fun for kids.

#21678 - 02/05/03 11:05 AM Re: Toledo and or Segovia from Madrid?
Noviac Offline

Loc: Los Altos, California
Sel:

Can you shed a little more light on the sword place that you visited? I'll be in Madrid in March and that sounds like someplace my boyfriend and I would like to visit...

Cheers!

#21679 - 02/05/03 11:20 AM Re: Toledo and or Segovia from Madrid?
viequense Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks for the wonderful info everyone. Ok, now I am thinking two nights in Toledo and one in Segovia, the rest in Madrid (that leaves 4 nights I believe).

Yes, and the sword place sounds like a brillant idea, my son loves sword fighting as it is! Just might have to bring one home....

Julia

#21680 - 02/06/03 02:08 PM Re: Toledo and or Segovia from Madrid?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
If you have kids that age, definitely go to Segovia (its easy via the train, a beautiful trip, but bring something on which to sit!). Don't miss the "Palacio del Alcazar," a royal residence with a great artillery school. The castle is like a fairy tale, perched on a preciptious cliff, very high walls and turrets with a wonderful museum of the artillery school. Cannons, guns, armor, art, throne room, it's got it all! Bring something warm and windproof (and waterproof), and definitely gloves and a scarf, it is COLD, especially if you climb up the long circular tower stairs to the top. Hold on to your hat! (And watch out for pickpockets in the narrow stairwells -- guard your purse and cameras well). It is definitely worth the climb to see the spectacular view, and imagine the futility of attacking the place.

Enjoy the food, restaurants abound. Shops and everything you need. Check out the "muriallas" the city walls (I probably spelled that wrong), they surround most of the old city. I suggest you go early, it is a long day trip, and be sure to have return tickets and double check when the train leaves at night or you might have to take a bus back or stay overnight, which might not be a bad idea anyway.

¡Disfrutar!
Martin

#21681 - 02/07/03 04:03 PM Re: Toledo and or Segovia from Madrid?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
The sword shop has a small narrow shop which displays the swords and behind this there are a couple room where they temper the steel and make the swords and damascene plates. We just walked in and my 12 year old asked a couple of questions in his best Spanish. It just so happened that he was talking to Mariano Zamorano, the owner.

Mariano invited us to the back to see more. Each of Mariano's swords have his initials engraved in the sword to autheticate the sword. My son is left handed and wanted to by a sword, but most are for right handed people. In the end, Mariano guided him toward a sword that works either way. My son had picked a rather expensive sword, and Mariano helped direct him to one that was lighter weight and less expensive. My daughter was grateful since she was the one who had to carry it throughout Spain in her golf bag!!! eek

The shop is located near the Cathedral and Plaza Ayuntamiento on Calle Ciudad, 19 and Mariano does speak English!

Toledo was full of highlights like this!! The history of the town is almost overwhelming, and we found the residents to be very open and friendly everywhere we went. smile I was wonderful to have the time to spend in the shops talking to various people.

#21682 - 02/07/03 08:04 PM Re: Toledo and or Segovia from Madrid?
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
With children, I'd go to Segovia ... more room generally for children to move around, and all the details mentioned above. On the Sunday I was there, the highlight of Plaza Mayor was a delightful caroussel.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments