jeaninecox Offline

Loc: Miami, FL USA
I will be in Madrid March 3 - 7th. I would like to do the following:
Mon: Arrive 7:30am Madrid (Sofia)
Tues: Madrid (Royal Palace & Prado)
Wed: Toledo & Segovia
Thur: El Escorial
Fri: Madrid. Leave 6:10pm
Is this too rushed? I am still undecided whether to visit Toledo, Segovia & El Escorial by ourselves (via bus or train) or to take a guided tour.
Also, I am trying to budget for meals. The guided tours include lunch. If we choose to explore on our own how much should I budget (approximately) per day?
Thank you for your input smile

#21667 - 02/04/03 01:21 PM Re: Draft itenerary
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Not even Wonderwoman could do Toledo and Segovia on the same day. Look at the map – they're in opposite directions! You'll have to settle for just one. It's quicker to get to Toledo and if forced to choose, probably more rewarding.
You could also shift your Royal Palace visit to Monday (it's open then), thus freeing up more time on Tuesday.
As for meals, well, you can eat cheap if you want to. Buget 9-18 Euros per meal. If you can skip a big long lunch and just eat a bocadillo, this will give you more time, and only set you back about 3 Euros.
You've got some painful choices to make. You won't be able to do all those day trips!

#21668 - 02/04/03 02:17 PM Re: Draft itenerary
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hello, Jeaninecox

I wholeheartedly agree with Barry, it would be difficult to do both Toledo and Segovia in one day. I have done Segovia and El Escorial with plenty of time to see the Aqueduct, the Cathedrals, and the Alcazar, lunch at Candidos, and then go onwards to El Escorial.

Hope you have a lovely trip!

#21669 - 02/04/03 02:52 PM Re: Draft itenerary
barry Offline

OK How about this:
Mon: since you arrive early you can easily fit in the Reina Sofia and the Royal Palace, and also have time to stoll around Plaza Mayor and the old part of town.
Tues: Toledo. Make your own way on the train and eat lunch in a cheap bar
Weds: Your Wonderwoman day, if using public transport. Train to el Escorial at the crack of dawn, backtrack a little on the train and then onto Segovia.
This does not sound enjoyable. I'd recommend skipping Escorial.
OR take an organised tour if you can find one that includes both.
Thurs: Prado, and if you still want art, the Thyssen museum. If I were you I'd just take it easy and potter about.
Fri: You've got most of the day. You could still make the Thyssen or just shop and stroll.
Have fun!

#21670 - 02/04/03 04:52 PM Re: Draft itenerary
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
If you combine El Escorial and Segovia, do Segovia first if you hope to see the Valley of the Fallen. There is only one bus a day to Franco's monument and it leaves about 3:15 (I think). We managed to do the Valley of the Fallen round trip and get to the Alcázar before it closed, but we had to run!!

#21671 - 02/05/03 08:43 AM Re: Draft itenerary
barry Offline

With so many other things to do, and unless you're really into fascist kitsch, I'd skip the Valley of the Fallen. Though it is interesting in a chilling sort of way, it's hard to get to and you could spend your time doing something more rewarding.

#21672 - 02/05/03 08:48 AM Re: Draft itenerary
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
For my draft intinerary, I would start with a Guinness, then maybe a hand-pulled bitter, then a crisp cider to sweeten the palate and probably end with another Guinness. That should make for a good night to, hopefully, remember. That was the type of information you were looking for, correct? laugh

#21673 - 02/05/03 08:53 AM Re: Draft itenerary
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
jeaninecox writes:
Quote:
... I am trying to budget for meals. The guided tours include lunch.
I normally advise against guided tour-inclusive meals. Decline the dinner-inclusive option if possible! You can do a lot better on your own. As for how much to budget: eat like a Spaniard: light breakfast (4-euros), large midday meal (12 to 16 euros incl/wine and dessert), light evening meal (or snack).

Escorial's Monasterio de San Lorenzo is a much more compelling reason to visit that City than el Valle de los Caidos.

I would go to Toledo by train (if only to see Toledo's unique railroad station) and return by bus (more frequent). Take the train to Segovia & back.

You should be able to fit in most of what you want to do around Madrid.

You don't have any time allocated to shopping??

#21674 - 02/05/03 10:34 AM Re: Draft itenerary
jeaninecox Offline

Loc: Miami, FL USA
No time for shopping! I can shop in the United States -- I want to see the sights! I may get a few souvenirs here and there, but no major shopping planned wink
Thank you for your suggestions. I will look at my itenerary tonight and will revise.
Thanks again

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2017 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments