Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#21595 - 01/22/03 11:06 AM Beaches?
ladybugsea Offline

Loc: Boston
Please tell me your favorite beach/ocean spots in Iberia, and why. I haven't been there yet, so I have nothing to add! Thanks!

#21596 - 01/22/03 04:57 PM Re: Beaches?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Playa de la Concha in San Sebastián is hands-down the finest beach in all the land. Here\'s another good shot...

The shape is perfect, and the promontory standing in the middle of the bay makes a terrific breakwater, causing hours upon hours of bathing bliss.

As a second place entry, I recommend a few sets at Mundaka.

#21597 - 01/22/03 06:57 PM Re: Beaches?
Guapetona Offline

if u like virgen off the beaten path beaches i recommend cádiz..a beach like arroyo del cañuelo can be ideal smile

#21598 - 01/26/03 04:44 PM Re: Beaches?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I liked the beach at San Juan, near Alicante.
Also, I liked the beaches right in Alicante. It was nice to just be able to get off the bus and stroll into the sand.

#21599 - 01/26/03 04:51 PM Re: Beaches?
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
The very best: Playa de las cuevas in Asturias. Take a walk on top of the cliffs eastward. Also the beach at San Vincente de la Barquera, the very long one with the waves. Of course Calibasco is right on about Mundaka. All of northern Spain's beaches are fantastic. If you include Portugal, try anything at the western tip, near Cabo Sao Vincente. If you want warmer water, try Salema in the Algarve.

#21600 - 01/26/03 05:03 PM Re: Beaches?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
aidance

I too loved that beach at San Vincente de la Barquera - those waves were phenomenal cool I want to be there now.

Also some more beaches, slightly Easterly from SV de la B, which I can't remember the names of (Corbreches?) were great too. So big and wavy and not overcrowded.

Crrrrraaash! I love those waves. I don't surf or anything, I just like waves cool

Jo

#21601 - 01/26/03 08:18 PM Re: Beaches?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey jo

Warm water is a novelty for us brits wink
However i must agree that crashing waves are lovely to watch,But even better to fall asleep to.

Happy Thoughts.........

#21602 - 01/27/03 01:53 AM Re: Beaches?
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
There is only one place to go,.... Denia.

It is on the East coast of Spain south of Valencia.

Lee

#21603 - 01/27/03 05:32 AM Re: Beaches?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Jo_Anne writes:
Quote:
I too loved that beach at San Vincente de la Barquera - those waves were phenomenal I want to be there now.

Also some more beaches, slightly Easterly from SV de la B, which I can't remember the names of (Corbreches?) were great too. So big and wavy and not overcrowded.
I know exactly where you are talking about (near Comillas). There's lots of campgrounds near there - a lot of French & German people. I prefer something more civilized like el Sardinero on the west edge of Santander. I don't know how the beaches & tourism will be affected by the oil spill; but if you want waves you should try Islas Cies at the mouth of the ria de Vigo.
BTW
I've been to Denia and the Costa Blanca (Benidorm, Villajoyosa, Campello, San Juan Playa); I've been to the Costa del Sol and the Costa de la Luz, to Barcelona and the Costa Dorada, to San Sebastian and las playas (de la Concha & Ondarreta) and to Laredo. My favorite is still el Sardinero.

#21604 - 01/27/03 03:14 PM Re: Beaches?
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
My favorite is :La Playa de la Lanzada
between Ogrove an Porto Novo (Galicia)
near of "La Costa de la Muerte".
ABP

#21605 - 01/27/03 09:46 PM Re: Beaches?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Cala Tuent, Mallorca. Oh baby, I thought I died and went to heaven, especially since I thought I was going to die on the twisting road down to the beach. All of you out there who think you have been on twisting mountain roads--think again. However, for such a heavenly beach, it was the best. Better if you can get there by boat, but by no means don't miss it. I'm just a wimp!

#21606 - 01/27/03 09:49 PM Re: Beaches?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Ouch! I meant "by any means, don't miss it."

#21607 - 01/28/03 05:09 AM Re: Beaches?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Cabo de Gata in Almería, Andalucía. Beautiful clear water. There are many beaches, mostly empty most of the year. Here are a couple.

Playa de los muertos (!)
http://www.parquenatural.com/modules.php...;orderby=titleA

Monsul

http://www.parquenatural.com/modules.php...53&orderby=

#21608 - 01/28/03 07:38 AM Re: Beaches?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

spike1 and Eddie

Oyambre was one of them. Yes there were some campsites nearby, but curiously the beaches were still nice and quiet (but did have facilities for icecream thank goodness wink )

This isn't the best picture I know, and you can't hear it I'm afraid spike1 frown

When the waves are really big, I like the feeling of trying to resist them and then let them take me back to shore. Hmmmm, that's not a brilliant description of what I like to do, but I'm sure you other wavy people know what I'm talking about rolleyes

And here's a full page of CANTABRIAN BEACHES

Jo

#21609 - 01/28/03 11:38 AM Re: Beaches?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
El Boqueron, the beaches you photographed look great. They are in Almería, correct? Would that area make an interesting addition to our trip to Andalucía? We will be hitting the main tourist attractions/cities but some lazy days at the beach would be nice. How is the weather in mid-May? Thanks! --CC

#21610 - 01/29/03 06:39 AM Re: Beaches?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Carole - yes they're in Almeria, in a "Natural Park" called El Cabo de Gata (the fotos are from the web site of the park). The weather in May should be sunny and warm, even hot (though the sea may still be on the chilly side - depends how hardy you are!). It rarely rains in Almeria, and the landscape that backs these beaches is virtually a desert. There a few small towns/villages dotted along the coast, the main one is San Jose.

http://www.parquenatural.com/mapa.php

I recommend it (just don't tell everybody!) wink

#21611 - 01/29/03 08:48 AM Re: Beaches?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
It never ceases to amaze me as to how beautiful most of Spain's beaches are, and the pristine condition they're in, not over-run by businesses, and homes, developed along the shores. I didn't see one beach in all the examples shown that wouldn't be on my "favored list." There's nothing nicer than sitting on a beach, enjoying a bit of sun, and listening to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. I usually end up taking a peaceful nap, and make sure I'm protected from the sun, so I don't spend days of regret later.

Great links. With this cold winter we're suffering here in the mid-U.S., these offerings seem to take the chill off.

Wolf

#21612 - 01/29/03 10:52 AM Re: Beaches?
ladybugsea Offline

Loc: Boston
Wow, thank you for all your responses, and for making my itinerary even more difficult to narrow down !

#21613 - 02/08/03 11:25 PM Re: Beaches?
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
There's a website that my Spanish sister-in-law told me about: www.esplaya.com
They don't sell anything, strickly info about beaches all over spain. I've used them a lot to research areas before we go there. So far we've gone to La Guarda (Galicia), Isla (Cantabria), Cullera (Valencia) Santona (Cantabria)......and am looking for one this summer.....anyone been to Benicasim???

#21614 - 02/09/03 05:54 AM Re: Beaches?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

SalaChic

Great site. And you can even get to see the waves in action on the little video clips cool

Jo

#21615 - 02/11/03 12:50 PM Re: Beaches?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the additional info, Boqueron. Would San Jose make a suitable base for 2/3 days? --CC

#21616 - 02/11/03 02:20 PM Re: Beaches?
nevado Offline

Carole, you may also want to check out Salobreña if you’re going to Granada (not sure of your plans)??? If so, it’s much closer and very nice as well. Either way you can’t lose…I’d go back to both.

#21617 - 02/11/03 07:42 PM Re: Beaches?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Yes, we are going to Granada. So maybe Salobreña would be a good choice. We want to try "somewhere new," and we've decided against the Alpujarras as I really can't do any serious hiking. But "beaching" is always among my skills!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments