Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21538 - 01/03/03 01:01 PM Potters/Ceramic Artists
Prof Hough Offline

Loc: Bridgewater, Virginia
I am leaving for Madrid with a group of art students on Wednesday and am very interested in seeing some pottery, potters at work, tile makers and anything alse that might have to do with ceramics. This is my very first travel course and we have worked a couple of free days into the itineray in both Madrid and Barcelona. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Prof Hough

#21539 - 01/03/03 04:50 PM Re: Potters/Ceramic Artists
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
If you have a few days, you may want to take a day trip from Madrid to the town of Talavera de la Reina, which is famous for its ceramic industry. Once when I was there with a few friends we asked in a factory shop if we could see how the ceramics were made, and we were shown around the back work area. It was really fascinating. We did not arrange this ahead of time, but I would not count on it working again, as this happened quite a few years ago, and it was very quiet at the time. Either it was a Sunday or a holiday, I bet. The artists weren't there. Still, maybe someone else has some insight as to how it could be arranged. If you go, you might also want to check out the little town of Puente del Arzobispo, which is close to Talavera. It is a small town, also devoted to ceramics. If you try to see the artists at work without arranging it previously, it MIGHT be easier there because it's all smaller than in Talavera.

Good luck, and have a wonderful trip!

#21540 - 01/03/03 06:10 PM Re: Potters/Ceramic Artists
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Seemingly every region of Spain has a town that is steeped in centuries of fame for its pottery and ceramic work. Diana has mentioned a splendid choice for ceramic work, if you are more interested in pottery style work, then perhaps the quaint town of Portillo may be what you are looking for. Portillo in the historic province of Valladolid, less than two hours north of Madrid, specializes in alfarería de barro rojo. You will find countless potters plying their trade in this quite town, and as in the case of Talavera de la Reina many will proudly show their potters in action. After watching these masters, you can treat yourself to Portillo's other incredible yummy specialty, mantecados.

#21541 - 01/04/03 11:18 AM Re: Potters/Ceramic Artists
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Some years ago we stopped at Sepulveda, a village about 64km north of Madrid. As I recall, there was a small pottery factory there.
If your group is also visiting Portugal, there's a place in Lisbon where they make azulejos. rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1436 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments