Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21523 - 01/01/03 04:08 PM Urgent Spain Advice Needed
andy2002 Offline

Hi,
I am considering Spain as an option for our honeymoon in the last week of February, 2003.

We are looking to spend our honeymoon visiting nice local sights, local shopping, enjoy musical shows, dance, basically enjoy the local culture. We are big city people and are not looking for big cities with only large chain shopping and dining.

***Also, we would like to visit locations which are pleasant, at most a light winter jacket in the day. We do not want to be shivering or all bundled up, rather enjoy walking and enjoy the beautiful sites****

Please share with me if the end of February is a good time to visit Spain, and if so what locations you suggest.

Thanks
AK confused

Thanks

#21524 - 01/02/03 06:39 AM Re: Urgent Spain Advice Needed
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Andy2002 writes:
Quote:
I am considering Spain as an option for our honeymoon in the last week of February, 2003.
Andalucia probably meets your 'weather' requirements.
Are you aware that Martes de Carnaval (Mardi Gras) is March 4th. This may give you a narrow window for 'musical shows,' etc. Cadiz is probably the best place in mainland Spain to celebrate Carnaval; but if you consider the Canary Islands I am told that the celebration there is like Rio de Janeiro. Sevilla, Jerez de la frontera, Arcos de la frontera, el Puerto de Santa Maria are all nice stops. I would recommend the Hotel el Monasterio de San Miguel in el Puerto for a memorable honeymoon stop.

Another option might be Lisbon, Portugal (if you don't want to do much travelling around). I went there for an extended Presidents' Day weekend a few years ago (I got a 'deal' on airfare).

#21525 - 01/02/03 04:34 PM Re: Urgent Spain Advice Needed
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
HI andy, ´This was my first time in spain. Barcelona was beautiful and sunny and plenty to do. We ran out of things to do in Madrid after the 3rd day. Its also cold, dreary and wet now. Jan. I don´t know what the weather will be like when you go. But you say you are big city people- so are we. and there is not enuff to do here. We went to all the parks, museums and shopping. Bars, dinners. If you don´t speak much spanish like us, you´re only option for english speaking people will mostly be british, irish and s. african. Not alot of americans here at all. Most of the natives speak broken english. And hardly can carry on a conversation. If you come when the weather is nice. Then the beaches should take up most of your days. Good Luck.

#21526 - 01/16/03 08:25 PM Re: Urgent Spain Advice Needed
salt Offline

Andy,
I have to disagree with the above messages. Obviously they did know a fraction of what madrid has to offer. I have lived there for the past 23 years and have still not run out of things to see and do! There is way too much to even begin to list but you can check out www.guiadelocio.com on the right side of the screen you have the option of reading in english.
Everything, well, a lot is listed in there.
I would also recommend Segovia and Toledo for a couple of really nice day trips. Tons of history dating back 2000 years.
I hope you have a wonderful time when you go.
As for the weather, it's like anywhere, right now the skies are blue and temperatures in the low to mid 50's. check out www.weathercast.com (in preferences just klick on other location)

#21527 - 01/16/03 09:21 PM Re: Urgent Spain Advice Needed
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Get a simple guide book of Spain like Rick Steves'. We used many of his suggestions while we were in Spain.

We were in Madrid 3 days at the beginning of our trip and 3 days at the end, plus 4 days in Toledo. The first 3 days were really tough and full of mishaps often caused by our inability to communicate. However, the final 3 days were wonderful. Although we enjoyed the sites in Madrid, it was not one of my favorite locations, However, we did NOT run out of places to see.

I am returning soon and going to give the city a second chance. I suspect that to really enjoy the city, I will need to convince my husband to join me!! Kids and traveling alone hinder some of the late night ambience of a city like Madrid!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2420 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments