Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21471 - 12/08/02 05:54 AM Cadiz magic?
totil@totil.com Offline

Loc: Reykjavik
Has anyone been in Cadiz city recently? I was there in 1985 for Christmas and loved it. All those tiny streets and plazas and cafe con leche in milk glasses. I was sleeping on the beach on Christmas night. I was 19 and a streetpainter back then. I wonder if things have changed. Or if my taste has changed to much. For instance I have given up smoking chocolate or drinking cerveza for many years now. I am planing to take my wife there for Christmas but we will stay in a pension or hostal of course smile Any thoughts? Has Cadiz still got the magic?

#21472 - 12/08/02 09:43 AM Re: Cadiz magic?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I last visited Cadiz in July, 2002 just as the Summer season was starting (16 Jul: Virgen de Carmen). It's still a very charming, bustling port city but I found prices there significantly higher than over in Huelva. eek

I expect it may be the same around Christmas because many people spend the Holidays there.
The old part of the city is still intact but there's been a lot of high-rise condominium-type (and resort hotel) construction along the coast just north of the city. rolleyes

disclaimer: My evaluation is based on a one-day visit (on the ferry) from el Puerto de Santa Maria where I was staying for a week. cool

#21473 - 12/08/02 11:35 AM Re: Cadiz magic?
totil@totil.com Offline

Thanks Eddie. I remember being told that Huelva was a poverty stricken region when I went through iby train in 85. Perhaps that explains lower prices?

#21474 - 12/22/02 09:42 PM Re: Cadiz magic?
juiceg Offline

Loc: Wilmington, DE USA
I was in beautiful Cadiz one weekend four years ago (in college). A definite highlight of my abroad. Nightlife was quiet. Stayed pretty cheap in a nice hostel. Daily items were still relatively cheap. Wish I could go back!

#21475 - 12/23/02 02:28 AM Re: Cadiz magic?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I really like Cadiz. Since we have been in Sevilla, we have made several day trips there and, yes, it is still very charming. I can't speak to prices for accomodations, but I can't imagine Cadiz is a high-rent district. Have a great Christmas!

#21476 - 01/19/03 12:17 PM Re: Cadiz magic?
totil@totil.com Offline

Cadiz was the best!

#21477 - 01/19/03 04:04 PM Re: Cadiz magic?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Please tell us more!

#21478 - 01/19/03 08:39 PM Re: Cadiz magic?
totil@totil.com Offline

karenwishart. Cadiz is worth every minute.
The seaside around the half-island of the old city reminds many people of Havana, Cuba. (Not that I have ever been in Cuba myself) The newer section of Cadiz on the other hand has a beautiful long clean beach. The people are friendly. The tourism is moderate and native. The food is good and cheap. I could go on like this for hours. We stayed at the "Centro Sol" pension in the old city. Very nice smile

#21479 - 01/20/03 04:22 AM Re: Cadiz magic?
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
ahhhh cadiz. The first time I was there was two years ago durin carnival.(late feb but changes every year) Carnival in cadiz is a sight to see and not to mention cadiz is one big beatiful beach. I also met my best spainish friends(madrilenos) that i still have to this date.

Cadiz-not tobe missed

ciao

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1627 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments