Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#21452 - 11/28/02 05:43 PM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
No question, Salamanca! The Plaza Mayor is the best in Spain! And if you find the frog in front of the University, you'll be lucky the whole year! wink

#21453 - 11/28/02 06:25 PM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
In that time ("Semana Santa"), you will have problems with hotels, you have to book before.

Semana Santa is nice in that areas with several processions by the old medieval towns. I insist, that trip is ideal for american people and you can see both Cáceres and Salamanca.

In Cáceres pls have dinner in "El Figon" ask "caldereta" (stew of lamb), or "migas".

In Salamanca there are good restaurants near Plaza Mayor.

Luck
ABP

#21454 - 12/01/02 12:32 PM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Can I stay in Salamanca and travel to Zamora for Semana Santa? Is there a website listing the Semana Santa activities and times for Salamanca, Caceres, and Zamora? If not when I arrive where could I find the information?

#21455 - 12/01/02 04:50 PM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)

#21456 - 12/04/02 04:05 PM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I'm with ABP for Trujillo and Plasencia. Both merit at least a day each. Plasencia is the "pincho" capital of Spain. We got some awesome pinchos with our cervezas and spent an embarassing 3 euros for lunch, including 2 kids! It was incredible.

Trujillo is also a gem. Yes, Salamanca is beautiful and not to be missed, but don't overlook the little places. They have so much charm!

#21457 - 12/05/02 09:29 AM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
Caceres is definitely worth the trip 2 days should be enough. I went to merida and caceres last weekend. The plaza mayor in caceres is nice. I feel as if the people are more friendly in caceres than here in sevilla. At the clubs people would introduce themselves to me and my friends. They were interested in us.

#21458 - 12/29/02 09:30 AM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I want to thank everyone for his or her advice. There are so many interesting places to visit in Spain; you cannot visit this beautiful country in one trip.

This will be our second trip to Spain. We were originally told we would be visiting during Semana Santa, however we will now be traveling the second and third weeks in March. An insurance company awarded my wife a tour and we will be visiting Madrid and Barcelona for 4 nights each. We will arrive early and visit Salamanca for three nights at the Palacio Castellanos. Salamanca was the favorite among those offering advice.

At the end of our tour we will travel from Barcelona to San Sebastian, I have a customer whose headquarters are located in San Sebastian. Our visit to San Sebastian will last three nights, thanks to Bancotel we are staying at the Maria Christina. We will end our travels by taking the overnight train from San Sebastian to Madrid.

I would welcome any suggestions on attractions and restaurants in Salamanca or San Sebastian, and along the drive to each of our destinations.

Cáceres will have to be a destination for our next trip to Spain.

#21459 - 12/29/02 01:56 PM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I arrived yesterday from a trip to Salamanca. It is a beautiful city indeed.

Places to visit: Catedral Nueva, Catedral Vieja, Universidad (there are half a dozen historical buildings), Plaza Mayor, Monasterio de San Esteban, Roman Bridge, Casa Lis, Filmoteca Española, Casa de las Conchas,...

There are great places to eat in Salamanca. In the same block as Casa de las Conchas (in which you also have the Oficina de Turismo or tourism office) there are two good places: El Bardo (something expensive but great food) and El Patio Chico (reasonable price and superb quality). In the Plaza Mayor you have El Cervantes, a place to have some tapas. There are many other great places, ask locals or in the tourism office.

The monuments go from roman style (the bridge) to romanic (old cathedral), gothic (new cathedral), plateresque (Casa de las Conchas and the University), barroc (a part of the new cathedral), and even neoclassic (some university buildings). It is just incredible.

You won't regret your visit, I promise.

Fernando

#21460 - 01/02/03 12:59 AM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I LOVED Caceres (and Trujillo). It's a beautiful drive, arriving from the north but that time of year??? Still, the numerous plazas and monumental buildings are enchanting. And it's not so touristy.--C

#21461 - 01/20/03 10:52 AM Re: Salamanca or Caceres?
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
Ok, log another vote for Salamanca! But I admit I'm biased. My husband is from there and we spend every summer there with family. We do travel around to get to know other towns and cities. My housemate years ago was from Plasencia - and that's a pretty town too. Check my website on salamanca: http://www.geocities.com/salachic

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments