Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21389 - 11/19/02 11:02 PM December Itinerary Advice
ppp Offline

Loc: NYC
This site has been so helpful with the abundance of info, but at the same time, I'm completely overwhelmed... :-)

I read the thread about "tranquillo" and I completely agree - but there are just too many places in Spain we want to visit and see!

Can you comment on this itin?

Dec 21: Arrive in Mad - AVE to Sevilla
Dec 22: Sevilla
Dec 23: Sevilla
Dec 24: Granada (spend night here)
Dec 25: Sevilla
Dec 26: Cordoba on way to Madrid
Dec 27: Madrid
Dec 28: Madrid
Dec 29: Madrid
Dec 30: Back to NYC

We are also very interested in Toledo and Ronda. Do you suggest ones of these places versus others? And the time of year we are going, does it make sense to visit a specific place?

#21390 - 11/20/02 04:07 AM Re: December Itinerary Advice
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, ppp. I cannot give you any advice on Granada because I stil haven´t been there. frown But those are my suggestions for the other towns.

Sevilla: Definite must-sees: Catedral (Giralda and Patio de los Naranjos specially), Barrio de Triana, La Maestranza (bullfighting place), La Torre del Oro, Guadalquivir River, Plaza de España, Parque de María Luisa.

Córdoba: Must-sees: Mezquita and Barrio de la Judería (Jewish neighbourhood)

Madrid: Must-sees:
Templo de Debod, Palacio Real, Catedral de la Almudena, Tearo REal, Plaza de la Ópera, Puerta del Sol, Km 0, Calle Preciados, GRan Vía, Monasterio de las Descalzas, Puerta de Alcalá, Parque del Retiro, Paseo del Prado, Museo del Prado, Estación de ATocha, Museo Thyssen, Museo REina Sofía.

Well, if you need more info, don´t hesitate to contact us again.

#21391 - 11/20/02 06:54 PM Re: December Itinerary Advice
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Hi PPP

Regarding your proposed itinerary you haven't stated whether you are hiring a car in Seville to travel to Granada or not.

If you are planning to travel to Granada by train or bus to see the Alhumbra, the Cathedral and the old Arab Quarter then you will need more than an overnight stay there. The Train and Bus timetables simply don't give you the time that you will need. You will need 2 nights as the absolute minimum time in the Alhumbra is a half a day and that really isn't doing it justice.

I suggest that you cut out the return to Seville frown frown and stay that night in Granada and then train it to Cordoba which will need a full day minimum to see the Mezquita and Barrio de la Judería.

If you have already checked out the Renfe site click here Renfe web page and for information regarding bus schedules in Andalucia Andalucia Bus Schedule web page .

I think that Ronda is too far to travel this time although you can do Toledo in a day trip from Madrid although it will be taking a day from the enjoyment of Madrid frown frown

The main thing to remember is that Spain's cities and scenery have been there a long time and will still be there for you for another trip. Don't try to do too much in one trip.

David smile

#21392 - 11/20/02 10:19 PM Re: December Itinerary Advice
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Check to see if the Alhambra is open!! If not, skip Granada this time and do some day trips out of Sevilla. Ronda, Jerez, Cadiz and Los Arcos are possibilities. I would overnight in Ronda if I went there. Toledo is EXCEPTIONAL!! It takes more than a day to see!!! Don't forget Segovia, San Lorenzo del Escorial are also possible day trips from Madrid.

A day 'on the way' is how we saw Córdoba, but I hope to return some day to visit the Barrio de la Judería.

Seeing too much is always a mistake!! Remember you will be tired that first day or so!!

#21393 - 11/20/02 11:27 PM Re: December Itinerary Advice
ppp Offline

Loc: NYC
Thank you carmendeespana, DavidB and sel! You all give me much to digest.

DavidB: We will rely on train or bus to Granada. You are right about giving Granada 2 days. I mistyped - we are arriving in Mad from NYC on 12/22, which means that if we give Granada 2 days, then that means only 2 for Sevilla. This is not fair to Sevilla, right? Perhaps Toledo instead?

You're so right about being patient. My boyfriend and I are nearing 30 (okay in a few years) and we feel we'd better get some adventures in before ...

sel: The schedule seems awkward because we were trying to avoid going to Granada on 12/25 (closed as on 1/1/03). All the trips out from Sevilla sound so appealing, but maybe our next trip to Spain?! About how long of a bus ride to Ronda? (the bus site seems to mention only the departure times..)

#21394 - 11/21/02 01:23 AM Re: December Itinerary Advice
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
PPP

OK - You've now made it a little clearer and you are correct about Sevilla, please don't short change it, you will regret it in the future. Plus you will be tired on your first day in Spain and will only get to see a little of Sevilla that day.

I would look at the following as a revised itinerary due to the changed arrival time in Madrid:-

Dec 22: Arrive in Mad - AVE to Sevilla
Dec 23: Sevilla
Dec 24: Sevilla
Dec 25: Sevilla to Cordoba
Dec 26: Cordoba then to Madrid
Dec 27: Madrid
Dec 28: Madrid - go to Toledo for the day
Dec 29: Madrid - go to Segovia (maybe) for the day
Dec 30: Back to NYC

Personally I would leave Segovia for your next trip (as surely as the Sun rises in the morning you WILL return to Spain wink ) as there is plenty to do and see in Madrid, just as I suggest that you leave Granada, Ronda, Jerez, Cadiz and Los Arcos de la Frontera until another time.

You have said:-
Quote:
You're so right about being patient. My boyfriend and I are nearing 30 (okay in a few years) and we feel we'd better get some adventures in before ...
- don't despair because you will find time later for travel. My wife and I are in our mid to late 50's and still Backpack and enjoy our travels. have a look at My web page

Whatever way you decide to go - enjoy your trip.

David

#21395 - 11/21/02 01:32 AM Re: December Itinerary Advice
Espe3 Offline

ummm, Madrid needs more than a day to see it! I took some friends on a walking tour one day (they were only in Madrid for a day, after spending their vacation time in Malaga) and were off the next morning back to the US. They said that if they had realized that there was so much to see, they would have spent more days exploring it. Just check out the list of things Carmendeespana mentioned, that's only the beginning! (but all within Madrid's center! smile )

Carmen! TIENES que ir a Granada! Its pretty, fun, and the tapas they give you with your drink are AMAZING! I went with some friends and we didn't need to get dinner! :p Yum yum yummy!!!!!!

Anyway, back to Madrid: It was a pretty FAST walking tour and didn't even get to take them to the Royal Palace or Plaza Mayor to see! This isn't even discussing Madrid's outskirts! (Segovia, El Escorial, Toledo, Chinchon...)

One thing for sure PPP, with the schedule you have planned, you're going to need a vacation AFTER your vacation! :p Have fun!

#21396 - 11/21/02 03:24 AM Re: December Itinerary Advice
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Espe3, gracias por la recomendación, cielo. smile

It´s on my schedule. smile I have some days of in December and we were planning to do a trip outside Spain but in the end we had to cancel it, so maybe we´ll run away to Granada.

Also, about your new schedule, ppp, I think Espe3 is right and you should spend three whole days in Madrid. There´s a lot to see. Segovia is nice but you can do it some time in the future if you come back.

You can skip Granada because it´s not on the way back from Sevilla-Cordoba-Madrid. If you look it in a map, you´ll have to go to the right. It´s better, as DavidB said, to leave it for another trip.

#21397 - 11/21/02 07:47 PM Re: December Itinerary Advice
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
We had three days in and around Madrid (did Segovia, El Escorial) at the start of the trip and three days at the end (all Madrid). Madrid is time consuming!! We loved the Royal Palace and loved wandering!! We did the Rick Steves' tourbook method and it was great for beginners.

The kids loved buying treats from the nuns!! (Me too!) We had two Spaniards get in a fight over who was going to help us and what we should be ordering. This lady and this man had very different ideas and they both wanted desperately to help us make the 'correct' decision. It was one of our finest moments in Madrid!!! laugh laugh

We also spent 4 days in Toledo and loved every minute. It is especially wonderful after all the daytrippers go home. Our hostal there was terrific!!!

You don't have time for Ronda. If you find you want to do a daytrip out of Sevilla, go to Jerez and see the Royal Andalucian Horse Show and visit their grounds. It was great and it is a simple train trip!!!

Save time to just be there!!!

#21398 - 11/22/02 04:15 PM Re: December Itinerary Advice
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
ppp:

Just wanted to chime in that although I loved Granada, it appears that it's best to come back and enjoy it for another trip.

Just my opinion, but I'd spend at least 3 full days and nights in Sevilla. I'd visit Cordoba for a full day between Madrid and Sevilla but wouldn't spend a night there with your limited time this trip. I'd maximize the amount of time in Sevilla because it's an absolutely beautiful city, the essense of Andalucia, and the weather should be decent. You could do day trips to Jerez and in addition to the horses, you could visit a sherry bodega :p . Another day trip alternative would be the quaint village of Carmona.

Now this is only my opinion and many would disagree wink but I would only stay 2 nights in Madrid. I'm not a big city person when it comes to Spain, and I absolutely love the smaller cities and villages. Toledo is absolutely amazing and I'd suggest a couple of nights there.

Segovia is also wonderful and so are the white villages of Arcos and Ronda but your time is probably too limited - you could already add to your list for next time. laugh

Please let us know what you decide. No matter what you will absolutely love Spain. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments