Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#21356 - 11/19/02 12:29 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Espe3 Offline

Shazz, first off: It wasn't about the tourists OR the Americans! The bomb in Torremolinos this summer was compliments of ETA.

People, please keep in mind that although Americans aren't on everybody's #1 love list, it doesn't mean that every threat or attack is against Americans! Its not!

This summer, and this is a different thread, there were lots of changes made in the government to take away some of ETA's power and resources, so of course, they had to make trouble, and summertime, when people are vacationing, well apparently it was too tempting for them as they knew they'd get lots more attention than usual...

The national strike, well, it was just that NATIONAL! It again, was not intended to send tourists a 'go home' message... as well as the trash strike (which by the way, happened in Madrid also, I don't know if it was country wide or not). Malaga especially is an area where tourism is a very big thing. Sel, Torremolinos, Gandia, Costa del sol, La Manga... just about anywhere there's a beach, it FULL of tourists in the summer, and natives... inland is just too hot and everybody and their grandmother heads to the coast, and since germany and england don't have as nice weather, they come also, as well as LOTS of french- probably for a change of scene! So yes, what you experience in summer is not true of the rest of the year, as in any place really.

As far as the weather, I don't know, as I've never been there in the winter time- just in Cartagena, and well, yes, it does get cold! You're close to the water.. its the kind of cold that gets into your bones... but that's not every day. Winters in Cartagena at least tend to be pretty mild. (think northern florida) Malaga will be fine to visit. But if you don't want to, don't. Its like saying, I'm not going to visit Pompey because you don't know when Mt. Vesuvius (I'm pretty sure I spelt that wrong) is going to blow!

Terrorism in Spain has been a reality for a looong time, unfortunately its a part of life. Like Ireland- but I not as bad. How you choose to let those terrorists affect your life is up to you.

Shazz, enjoy Spain, Malaga, Barcelona or wherever you decide to go. Its a fun country, interesting and there's plenty to do smile Read Sel's post again! I don't think the intention was to scare you from going, look! Even she's going back to visit! THAT should tell you something!

#21357 - 11/19/02 12:47 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
Thanks for the update. It just gets a bit frustrating when you really are interested in finding out about a strange country and you don't get a straight answer. I guess i'm just a bottom line person. Always have been. Although I doubt we'll be staying near Malaga at this point. And I will dress warmly. I gather its not as cold as Philly, so thats good. :p

#21358 - 11/19/02 12:52 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Never been in Malaga capital for New Year's Eve MM, but I would assume it is rather like New Year's Eves in Spanish cities such as Cordoba or Granada. My experience of those cities was that not many bars and restaurants are open in the run up to midnight and at the appointed hour some people gather in front of the town hall, or in one of the important squares - in Malaga I assume Plaza de la Constitucion or Plaza Merced.

The chimes are broadcast and people munch their grapes, but the atmosphere is a bit muted, due to the fact that there aren't that many people around because they're all at home having a nice dinner. We walked from the parador in Cordoba once to the centre of town - which is a long way - along a main road and saw maybe two cars! We thought we'd be able to get a taxi with no problems - not a chance! None working at all. We ended up singing Auld Lang Syne and making the sound of the chimes ourselves in the middle of a deserted four lane highway because we couldn't get down to the centre in time for midnight!

The streets start filling up around one, one thirty and the bars start to open from then on. Then the party starts! An exception tends to be Marbella, where there is always a good time to be had before and after midnight, as the town hall lay on hundreds of bottles of free champagne and grapes and a couple of bands keep everyone partying. If you can make it to there for the night you will have a good time, Shazz. Don't choke on the grapes! eek

#21359 - 11/19/02 01:10 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Oops! That will teach me not to read the updated posts before I stick my two pennyworth in! I started replying hours ago, but because of work got held up, then posted it without checking the replies and saw you were a bit grumpy! wink

Nobody can answer you whether it will be cold or rainy. Last week I was on the beach. Tonight I look out my office door and it looks like the River Ganges is in flood rushing past. It can be cold (relatively - you aren't going to get ice or snow here unless you go skiing at Granada or pick Ronda on a bad day) or as Boqueron said, it can be in the seventies in beautiful sunshine. It's like that in winter. They say we have three springs and a summer here.

Incidentally, Torremolinos is full of Brits, Germans etc in summer, but along the coast I bet the majority of tourists in July and August are from Madrid, Cordoba, Sevilla etc.

As for Malaga hating Americans, Espe said it all. Maybe we'll see you down here one day, Shazz. Carihuela is probably too "British" for you. Are you going on a timeshare exchange? If so, try and get in further towards Marbella. You'll enjoy that for sure and it makes a great base for seeing more. Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada, plus white villages etc are all driveable for day trips.

#21360 - 11/19/02 02:11 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Shazz Offline

Hola-
cool Seems like i didn't give the most important details to help with your replies. What i like and what I'm like... a 30 something Philly entrepeneur/artist. With an avid love for travel, culture and the arts. My fiancee is a musician. (We met at a BuckCherry Show!)
I've backpacked through most of Europe and the middle east alone. I've stayed at both youth hostels and B&B's. Since our happy coupling, we've stayed mostly at expensive hotels which in my opinion are nicer but no where near as informative or fun. Of course I love to drink, party and shop! Most of my fav music is from Manchester, England. I'm not a big fan of popular music. I used to sing opera, rock, jazz torch songs & am a huge fan of Puccini(but i'm not Italian) I love ethnic music, and appreciate different cultures. I hope this helps with the newer replies. I think that Barcelona, parts of Marbella sound more like me. As far as my fiancee he's happy if i'm happy. laugh I also think that the Beaches on Malaga would be an excellent choice if we were there during the warm season. But were not! mad I rather not be cold. So layers will be a must. Lots of fleece pullovers and leather!

#21361 - 11/19/02 02:36 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
Hi Shazz,

I was in Andalucia from Dec 26 2001 thru Jan 6 2002 and as people have mentioned, the weather can be unpredictable. When I landed in Madrid the day after Xmas, there was actually snow on the ground and I was a bit apprehensive. However, when I took the AVE train to Sevilla, I experienced the best weather during my 2-day stay in Sevilla. Sunny and temps in the 70sF. I got my car rental and drove south and the weather never got better than those 2 days at Sevilla though it wasn't all that cold, probably 50sF to 60sF. Just to show you how unpredictable the weather was, it was sunny in Malaga and when I started driving to Ronda, that steep winding road got very foggy and I had to turn back just because the visibility was just terrible and it felt unsafe.

I did spend New Year's Eve and New Years in Malaga but is was absolutely DEAD. NADA. Nothing was happening. I had dinner in a restaurant near the bull ring and then drove around looking for action, but it was pretty sedate. Shortly after midnight, I just went back to my hotel to enjoy perhaps the best hotel I stayed in during that trip. The Parador Gibralfaro right beside the castle of the same name and on top of this hill overlooking the harbor and the city. Though this parador is a bit more expensive than other paradors but it is well worth. Just the view from their dining room is exquisite.

Maybe I was just unlucky, but New Years Eve 2001 at Malaga was just nothing to write home about. But I will never forget the Parador Gibralfaro and hope to return there someday.

#21362 - 11/19/02 03:30 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Espe3 Offline

I've never been to Malaga... but what could have happened is:
The cities and towns that are so busy during the summer, tend to be pretty dead in the winter, as only the regular (and usually small) population that lives there is left- many of the homes in those areas are only summer homes or rentals and fill up during the warm months, but during the rest of the year people stay in their regular year-round homes.

Madrid is crazy during New Years! :p

#21363 - 11/19/02 03:47 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Shazz Offline

Is that TOLEDO /SEVILLEJA DE LA JARA? That sounds wonderful. So should we stay booked in Malaga/Torremolinos our second week? and just get a hostal closer to Seville around new years? our dates that week are booked dec. 28th-jan 3rd

#21364 - 11/19/02 04:46 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Espe3 Offline

Toledo and Sevilla are 2 worlds apart!
Nothing to do with one another!
However, Sevilla (which is in Andalucia) is a MAJOR party town! :p I'm confident that if you're looking for a party or action on New Years, that you'll find it there while Malaga seems like you'd be better off leaving it for another visit when the weather is warmer smile

#21365 - 11/19/02 04:56 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Shazz Offline

Hey Gracias Espe. laugh
We may not be able to get out of our booking in Malaga for that week of New years. How many hours is Sevilla from Torremolinos? by car/train? Should we get a hostal in Sevilla for the 2 days? if possible for the 30-1st? confused

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments