Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#21346 - 11/12/02 10:35 PM Malaga for New Years?
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
We'll be in Malaga over New Years. Any suggestions for things to do? Day trips, etc. :p

#21347 - 11/17/02 08:24 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
JANTRAVLER Offline

Loc: GEORGIA
Make sure you go to Mijas! Found the town mostly free of tourists last Wednesday afternoon--but I didn't see the burros--must have been too cool or rainy? I also did my best shopping there for pottery, but the place is so cute and the vistas are amazing. We had 4 in a taxi from Torrlimonos for a $20 Euro ride one way, bus and trains go also, but we went as quick as the rain stopped and stayed to see the coast below lit up. It was our most relaxing day and I'd sure go again.

#21348 - 11/17/02 09:56 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Hola JANTRAVLER!!

What else did you do while you were in that area?

I will be in Málaga in February for 2 weeks and I am looking for easy things to do on the weekend. I don't want to rent a car this time if I can help it!! How long did you explore Mijas? Do you recall whether or not the bus schedule between Málaga and Mijas was good?

SHAZZ, we were in Andalucia for a month last summer (Málaga for 2 weeks) and I highly recommend Ronda and its caves, and La Alpujarra. It may be snowy in La Apujarra, but it was wonderful and off the beaten path!! We spent 2 days in Ronda and loved it. I was there with two kids, so we did very few bars and ate lots of ice cream!! laugh laugh laugh

Málaga was fun and not touristy, but there is not much to see. We just experienced Spain, explored shops, bookstores, saw Spiderman and things like that. We loved the boardwalk there and ate lots of wonderful fish!! smile

Where in Málaga will you be?

#21349 - 11/18/02 09:43 AM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Shazz Offline

Hola-
thanks for the info. We are in the midst of trying to change our original bookings. In the meantime were still confirmed in Carihuela, Malaga. BTW. The weather boards say mostly highs of 63F and lows of 45F. Is this on the mark? Or does it tend to be colder and rainier? How should we pack?
Gracias

#21350 - 11/19/02 03:46 AM Re: Malaga for New Years?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Shazz - La Carihuela is in Torremolinos, not the city of Malaga.

Weather is a bit unpredictable. On a sunny afternoon, it can easily reach the 70s, and you can eat lunch outside. You'll want a jacket for the evenings though.

#21351 - 11/19/02 05:41 AM Re: Malaga for New Years?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
El Boqueron, La Carihuela is in the province of Málaga though. Maybe that's what Shazz meant? confused

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21352 - 11/19/02 07:55 AM Re: Malaga for New Years?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
MM - that's right, it can be a bit confusing, all these provinces named after their capital cities (or vice versa?!). People tend to mean the cities though (like referring to "New York").

Anyhow, I raised the point because it makes quite a difference, Malaga (Capital, as the locals say) or Torremolinos. For instance Sel states that Malaga is "not touristy", which is not true of Torremolinos.

#21353 - 11/19/02 08:34 AM Re: Malaga for New Years?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
El Boqueron (I'm off topic!! eek ), my favorite confusing location is Valencia city - in the Comunidad de Valencia - in the Province of Valencia. heehehe.. oh brother! rolleyes

I'm wondering, however, where people gather at midnight on New Years Eve in Málaga capital. Maybe I'll ask my friend who lives in Estepona. Now wait! Isn't our own Anchovy Front in Estepona/Marbella/Málaga? Surely he would know.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21354 - 11/19/02 09:11 AM Re: Malaga for New Years?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Yes, the terms are confusing. What we consider a county is often referred to by the name of its principle city. Granada is another example.

In the summer, Torremolinas was wall to wall people staying in wall to wall high rise hotels!! mad Not at all peaceful and there were more foreigners than locals. mad More like Myrtle Beach, North Carolina!! Hopefully there is more there than just the beach, but we did not stay around to find out. There were plenty of other options!!

There was a bomb somewhere near that area while we were in Málaga. It seemed like a "tourists go home" message. Perhaps it was further down the coast, my memory is a bit fuzzy.

We had the bomb, the national strike, and a local trash strike with a riot while we were in the city of Málaga. Quite educational for us all!! eek

Still, we had a wonderful time!! smile smile I am returning to school in Málaga again in February!! It will be fun to see things off season!!

Let us know Shazz and any of you other travelers, what the weather was like and what clothing was appropriate!!

#21355 - 11/19/02 12:08 PM Re: Malaga for New Years?
Shazz Offline

OK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments