Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21298 - 10/29/02 09:07 PM Getting around in Granada?
Anita24 Offline

Loc: Westland, Mi.
I'm so confused, did the Granada-info site, but I still don't understand the town. Is it so big you must take a bus around? What is upper & lower Albaicin and where is it? Where is the old silk market bazaar as shown on Rick Steves? I'm staying at the Carmen is it close enough to anything? Leaving in a few weeks. Sure could use your help! confused

#21299 - 10/29/02 09:16 PM Re: Getting around in Granada?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Anita24, can you find a map of the city of Granada there in Westland? That might help. I've never been to Granada but I've seen photos and it's DEFINITELY a city. It's no little walking-village, that's for sure. And they don't have a metro so the only way around is by bus or taxi. I'd have to GUESS, maybe GranadaGirl (or others) can help you here more than me, that the bus system they have there is efficient and frequent.

And what/where is "the Carmen"? Do you have an address or website for this place?

AND HEY! Just for kicks, I GUESSED and found http://www.GranadaMap.com . The main, overall map is pretty crude but it's clickable and this allows you to ZOOM in to the different sections, see street names and iconic graphics of important structures/monuments. (although most of them are not named)

Anyone else? Good luck, Anita24! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21300 - 10/29/02 09:40 PM Re: Getting around in Granada?
Anita24 Offline

Sorry, the Hotel Carman, Mr. MM. I guess I'm just surprised because you all said Sevilla can be done on foot, I assumed... That is the map I was looking at with no distances noted, that I could see. Sorry if my question appears dumb to you.

#21301 - 10/29/02 09:53 PM Re: Getting around in Granada?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Hi, I have also been trying to gather information on this one as I am studying there next semester. I am yet to get a real clear feel for this rolleyes , so I would also be interested in what others have to say. I think that generally what MM has said is correct, it is a city...I have been told that there is in fact a bus system, and to clear across town, or to the outer areas, you would need to either take a bus, or a taxi. Anybody else know more?

#21302 - 10/29/02 10:00 PM Re: Getting around in Granada?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GranadaGirl, WHERE ARE YOU!??!!??!?!? wink

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21303 - 10/30/02 05:00 AM Re: Getting around in Granada?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
In the absence of GG I'll step in and say you can walk around all you're likely to want to see in Granada. No need for taxis unless you don't know where you're going, or don't like walking.

Anita - the Albaicin is the old Moorish quarter of Granada, built on a steep hill opposite the hill of the Alhambra. Upper and lower are, well, the higher part and the lower part! Lower is nearer the centre of Granada, and higher is towards Sacromonte (barrio gitano, with flamenco "cuevas" etc).

A "Carmen" is traditional villa with a walled garden (in Granada). Most of them are in the Albaicin or near the Alhambra.

#21304 - 10/30/02 12:38 PM Re: Getting around in Granada?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
As a visitor, you can walk Granada and see pretty much everything; kelar419, because you will be living in Granada get bus schedules.

#21305 - 10/30/02 03:01 PM Re: Getting around in Granada?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
What about the Tourist Voucher in Granada. It seems to be a good deal for tourists.

#21306 - 10/30/02 04:00 PM Re: Getting around in Granada?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Anita:
If you want to visit the Albaicin I'd suggest you take the bus. There's a tourist bus that goes in a circle up to the Alhambra, around the Albaicin and circles back to the Plaza Neuva (where we picked it up). I think Rick Steve's mentions it in his books. If you can't find info on the bus, I can check through my stuff at home. I rode the bus once around the circuit (I think it took about 45 minutes) just to get a feel for how the city was laid out.

Also, I found a website for your hotel that says it is within walking distance from the Cathedral. Hotel Carmen

#21307 - 11/18/02 04:46 PM Re: Getting around in Granada?
Anita24 Offline

Got to tell you, Hotel Carmen has a wonderful rooftop view of Granada and the Alhambra. They have a pool and bar up there which closes in September, that's ok--we took our own bottle of rojas and had it all to ourselves! laugh

After seeing the Alhambra (3 hours and 2 1/2 miles) we did not have the stamina to see any more of Granada--but the Alhambra was worth every inch of pain on my sore feet! eek

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2453 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments