Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21284 - 09/28/04 03:37 AM Malaga Alcazaba open Mondays?
janb Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Does anybody know on which day the Malaga Alcazaba is closed. I get conflicting reports on the internet. Some say it's closed on Monday, others say it's closed on Tuesday.
Speaking of closures: on Tuesday 12 October it's a national bank holiday in Spain. What would be the consequences for tourist attractions in Malaga on that day.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Jan

#21285 - 09/28/04 07:08 AM Re: Malaga Alcazaba open Mondays?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Have you checked their website? Do they have one? What's the name of the bank exactly? Is it Banco Alcazaba? I did a quick Google search on that and found absolutely nothing so it must be known by another name.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21286 - 09/28/04 08:35 AM Re: Malaga Alcazaba open Mondays?
janb Offline

What I meant was the Malaga Alcazaba as opposed to the Alcazaba inside the Granada Alhambra.

Alcazaba:
A short walk up from the Plaza de Aduana are the solid fortified walls of La Alcazaba, a major landmark of the city. This fortress dates back to the 700s, although much of the structure belongs to the mid 11th century. The entrance is through the gateway known as the Puerta del Cristo (Christ's Door), where the first mass was celebrated following the Christian victory over the town.
This pathway leads up through attractive landscaped gardens punctuated with bubbling fountains, carrying on through the gateways of Puerta de las Columnas, Arco del Cristo and Arcos de Granada. Several terraces offer magnificent views of the town and harbour. A small palace within the inner perimeter is now the home of the Archeological Museum.
Just below the entrance to the Alcazaba are the ruins of an amphitheatre dating from Roman times. This dates back to the second century AD, and are currently under restoration. Above here there is a steep path that leads to the castle which crowns the Gibralfaro Hill.

April 18 2004
The Mayor of Málaga, Francisco de la Torre, reopened the Alcazaba in a ceremony held on Monday morning. The refurbished Gibralfaro and Alcazaba can now be visited by the public free of charge. An entry charge will be made in one or two months time, once the new museum on the site is also open.

A page with pictures (2002) I found on the internet is to be found here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~j.danielp/Malaga/alcazaba.htm

I have come across the opening hours hereunder, but I’ve seen other reports stating that it is closed on Tuesdays. My original question stands. Does anyone know for sure?

winter visiting hours (1/10 to 30/04)
closed on mondays.
from thursday to friday from 9.30 to 13.30 and from 16.00 to 19.00.
saturdays from 10.00 to 13.00
sundays and bank holidays from 10.00 to 14.00.

summer visiting hours (1/5 to 30/9)
closed on mondays
from thursday to friday from 9.30 to 13.30 and from 17.00 to 20.00.
saturdays from 10.00 to 13.00
sundays and bank holidays from 10.00 to 14.00

Jan

#21287 - 10/13/04 11:50 AM Re: Malaga Alcazaba open Mondays?
davidx Offline

http://www.malaga.us/sport/museums-in-malaga.htm
seems clear enough to me. That's as I remember it but my memory is not of the best.

#21288 - 10/15/04 02:28 PM Re: Malaga Alcazaba open Mondays?
janb Offline

The opening hours mentioned on the above website are not very accurate. The ones I listed in my previous posting are correct. I have just returned from Malaga and can give the following report:
You can buy tickets for the Alcazaba at the foot of the hill. There is a ticket machine which gives out ticket in all sorts of combinations (Alcazaba, Alcazaba-Gibralfaro, number of people etc.)
The ticket for the Alcazaba also gives you access to the archeological museum (which is located within the alcazaba) and costs 1,80 Euro p.p.
The ticket for the Gibralfaro also costs 1,80 Euro p.p.
However it is no longer possible to get to the Gibralfaro via the Alcazaba. So, having completed the Alcazaba we found ourselves back at the bottom of the hill and made our way up the hill again round the outside on our way to the Gibralfaro castle. There is of course another way to get to the Gibralfaro and that is to approach it from the other(eastern)way by taxi or bus.
After having visited the Gibralfaro we walked down again via this eastern way and walked along the coast to El Palo which I will mention in my forthcoming posting on Malaga.

Jan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1615 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments