Our trip to Spain was incredible, and thanks to the message board, we were well prepared. Thanks so much MadridMan!!!

Coming home was where I experience the worst culture shock!! The mound of mail waiting was enough to send me back to Spain on the first jet!! eek Finally life is under control, and I have some time to reflect on our wonderful adventure.

We traveled light and I am certain that it improved our trip!! By the time the fourth week rolled around, we had to buy a new bag to help us get our stuff home. Just the maps and booklets that we had accumulated required an additional bag!!!! I just could not throw them away and I hope to spend the winter reading them all carefully as I plan my next dream trip.

The city of Toledo stole my heart. The old part is just teeming with history and places to visit. Its atmosphere changes completely when the buses roll in with the day trippers and again in the afternoon when they all leave. Even among the hustle and bustle, it always has its quiet, secluded areas where on can sit and just dream. The cathedral was my favorite in all of Spain. We stayed at great place called Los Descalzos owned by Julio Luis
(h-descalzos@jet.es). He was very helpful, speaks a little English and has a wonderful scenic location. Next trip, I will head directly to this place for a two day R&R before I begin doing anything.

My trip had a different twist than most on this site because my companions were 12 and 17. Bar hopping was not a big part of this trip, although we did a bit of it. For the most part, the people we met were kind and helpful. As our Spanish improved, everything became easier.

Our first three days in Madrid were our most difficult. We found the people in the train stations and bus stations to be almost nasty to us. Fortunately, we returned to Madrid for our last three days and found just the opposite when we returned.

There is so much to share that it is difficult to know where to start!!!

Finding food suitable for the kids was the first thing that we had to master. The junk candy in Spain was incredible. Fruit, candy, bakeries, and ice cream were a highlight that the kids will never forget. My 'overly selective' 17 year old daughter was starving to death until she discovered the wonders of the pastelería, heladoría, and the confecionería. We sampled sweets and ice cream in every little pueblo. Fortunately, the walking was so intense that we needed the extra calories. The fresh fish and fruit were highlights for me. I would go to the frutería each day to buy cherries and other fruits for us to use as snacks. The cherries were the best I have ever had!!! we discovered several new fruits. One of my new favorites is called a níspero. Fruit, cheese, and pasteries were frequently a meal for us.

As time permits, I will add more.