MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21119 - 08/14/02 07:16 PM Information on Numancia
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Greetings Folks,
I wondered if any member of this board has recently visited the old celtiberian ruins of Numancia. I am planning my next trip and wanted to visit the site. This will be in December. I have not found any thread that mentions Numancia.

Thank you.

#21120 - 08/14/02 09:49 PM Re: Information on Numancia
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
Hello Booklady! I have never been to Numancia but you tweaked my interest and I found the following website that has information on the Museo Numantino. It's the official website of the Provincial Deputation of Soria.
http://www.dipsoria.com/
This may well lead to making Soria a travel destination next time I'm in Spain. Thank you!

#21121 - 08/15/02 12:21 PM Re: Information on Numancia
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Booklady: I'm sure you know the story, so I won't detail it here...although it's one that's always fascinated me.

Numancia was, the last time I tried to visit, closed to the public, which disappointed me. I've been told by other friends that have been able to visit that it actually underwhelmed them, and that there are other sites in Spain that are better.

Personally, I like the history of the siege and eventual capitulation of the population of Numancia, which makes it worth the trip...regardless of the under or overwhelming nature of the dig. I'll go back and make up my own mind.

#21122 - 08/15/02 04:13 PM Re: Information on Numancia
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Calibasco,
Yes, when I was a young girl, a few years ago, laugh I read Cervantes story and was fascinated about what happened there and read other accounts. I have searched the web both here and via Spanish search engines and have not found many historical web sites about Numancia. Not like Italica which has many nice graphic sites to see on the web.

Regardless, I agree with you knowing what took place is enough for me to want to go there and stand in the same area. I am fascinated by that kind of stuff.

I was thinking of visiting Northeast Spain, going from Madrid to Leon to Oviedo, to Santander, to Bilbao and end in San Sebastian where I have a good friend that I have not seen in many years.

Then going down to Soria and back to Madrid. I don't know if this is too much to cover in fifteen days.

But if I can I have to see Numancia!

#21123 - 08/15/02 04:19 PM Re: Information on Numancia
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Booklady: The bonus of catching Soria on the way back to Madrid is that it's on the way, and there isn't anything else much to see. You can stop in at Numancia, putz around for a couple of hours and then make your merry way back to Madrid...all without a major detour.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1615 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments