Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21116 - 08/14/02 12:07 PM Columbus day and favorite palace
SueC1 Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga
We leave for Spain at the end of September and we will be in Madrid on Columbus Day, Oct12 - what can we expect? Parades, fireworks? nothing open? should we head to El Retiro and people watch or maybe the Plaza Mayor? Also while in Madrid we will visit one palace (I think one is enough per trip, don't you?) So here is a chance to name your favorite - El Escorial, the palace in Madrid, or the one out at Aranjuez? Gracias for your advice! SueC1

#21117 - 08/14/02 12:26 PM Re: Columbus day and favorite palace
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi SueC1! Welcome to our message board!

I was fortunate enough to be in Madrid for Columbus Day (known as "Dia de la Hispanidad") in 2000. Antonio (esteemed message board member) took me to see the parade along the Paseo de la Castellana. And wow! What a parade! LOTS of people! I even saw the king... I think... from a distance. I don't recall the entire route, but may have started somewhere south of Plaza de Cuzco along the Paseo de Castellana/Recoletos and passes through Plaza de Cibeles. I really enjoyed the parade but I'm in/from the USA so I'm accustomed to military style parades which is what this is. I guess no self-respecting ant-facha Spaniard would be caught dead at such a specticle. wink (uh-oh.. hope I didn't just open a can of worms)

Here's a description from a Standford University webpage about Columbus Day in Spain:
-----

The National Holiday

In the United States, Columbus Day (shifted this year to October 11) is mostly an excuse for government employees, including those of the Post Office, to enjoy a long weekend, while ordinary Americans work. In Spain, it has acquired a new life. The Franco-style "Day of la Hispanidad" had been dropped, as has "Día de la Raza" with its confusing racial, indeed racist, connotations. Now it is simply the national holiday (fiesta nacional).
However, its has acquired a new traditional significance. For the last seven years, it has featured an impressive military parade down Madrid's main avenue, with the King and the members of the cabinet taking the salute from the stand. The units included the Guardia Civil in their quaint but proud hats. The Guardia Civil, hated by Basque nationalists and others, is viewed as the symbol of the government's power to impose itself. It seemed like a reminder that the government is prepared to take drastic measures if necessary.
October 12 is also the feast of the Virgen del Pilar, the doll-like image of the Virgin, which as usual was taken out of its big shrine in Zaragoza and paraded around on a float covered with seven thousand (!) flowers. While the military parade symbolized the conquest of America, the parade of the Virgin symbolized its spiritual conquest. While there were large crowds for these ceremonies, many took off for the long weekend. Heavy rain throughout much of Spain dampened the shows and spoiled the holidays.
In Santiago de Compostela, the Guardia Civil paid homage to St. James (Santiago Matamoros) in the magnificent shrine symbolic of the reconquest of Spain, but in other cities like Barcelona the ceremonies were less impressive. The National Holiday symbolizes Spain and its unity, with Madrid at the center.
Spain seems to have found a formula which suits it. Contrasting with the quiet dignity of Spanish public life, France was the scene of wild political activities, with mobs of students joyfully expressing their dislike of the government, while in Paris, a large mob of restaurant cooks demonstrated against MacDonalds' fast food outside the National Assembly. They spattered eggs over the police, who responded with tear gas. This, said the angry cooks, is the way the government treats us little folk.

Ronald Hilton - 10/12/99

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21118 - 08/14/02 04:20 PM Re: Columbus day and favorite palace
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I was at the parade in Madrid in 2001. It was very interesting, especially so soon after Sept. 11. There were some American military personnel in the parade and they were cheered as they passed by - it was very strange for me experiencing this in a foreign land. That evening we went to a bullfight and it was very crowded. It was a great time to visit Madrid.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments