Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#21100 - 08/12/02 02:11 PM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
stacey Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Okay, so I see the delimna about the tours. I would rather go on my own anyway. I would plan a day trip from Madrid on a Saturday to either Toledo or El Estorial. I would like to see both but I don't want to be rushed. confused I am planning on visiting Mafra in Portugal which is supposed to depict El Estorial in Spain. Both are very lovely. Asterault, which do you recommend? It sounds from Caminante that the Avila and Segovia would be the better tour, but I am already planning on doing that on my own. If I plan on doing either Toledo or El Estorial, I will go by train. I won't go on a tour. cool This will be my first time in Spain. I have really looking forward to it all summer.

#21101 - 08/12/02 03:19 PM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Stacey-
If it all possible, I'd consider spending at least one night in Toledo. It's magical at all times, but especially when all of the daytrippers have gone home and the locals come out for their evening paseo. laugh

#21102 - 08/12/02 03:54 PM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
stacey Offline

CathyM - Toledo sounds great. I am utilizing Madrid as my base and would like to visit Toledo or El Estorial. I have never been, even if I would spend a day in Toledo, I would figure on how to stay longer. I only have four days in Madrid and I don't want to spend all my time re-establishing residents. rolleyes

#21103 - 08/12/02 04:33 PM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Never been to Portugal, however, Toledo is incredible as well as is El Escorial. However, to see more, Toledo is bigger, Escorial is a town. They say Portugal is great though.

MM98, you come to Escorial? I did call you again a while ago but nobody answered and then I was in Barcelona for a while. Well, I try to get in touch then.

#21104 - 08/12/02 04:50 PM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
stacey Offline

MissMadrid98 - I read your website. I, too, once I live Spain and Portugal will fall in love with it and hate to leave. Okay, if I go to El Escorial I will either take the train or the Autocares bus? Any thoughts about a bus to El Escorial??? Asterault smile And, if I went to Toledo, I'd want to stay longer than one day and I have limited time in Madrid. Its hard to choose. confused If I went to El Escorial, I could see everything in one day. El Escorial sounds like a better choice. I will even go to the Bourbon Palace that Asterault mentioned. I will have plenty of time to go on the wine tour later in Madrid which the walksofspain is trying to start a group on 8/31. Any thoughts about that tour????

#21105 - 08/13/02 04:26 AM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
Asterault Offline

The bus is quicker and leaves from the Moncloa station (Metro: Moncloa), dock #3. Take it to the end and you're in El Escorial, and finding the monastery isn't difficult since it's bigger than the town.

The train leaves from Chamartin or N. Ministerios, Recoletos, or Atocha. It will say "El Escorial" or "Avila." To make sure you get the right train, I would ask at the "Atención al cliente" desk, they will speak english.

#21106 - 08/13/02 09:20 AM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Asterault,
Which of the two, the bus or the train leave you closer to El Escorial? I was there many years ago, when I was a mere girl and I remember that I took the train, but I can't remember if the walk from the station was far, or if I took a taxi, hay mi memoria!

Gracias,
Carmen

#21107 - 08/14/02 04:02 AM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
Asterault Offline

Doesn't matter... if you take the train there's a shuttle bus which will take you up the hill, where the buses from Madrid stop.

#21108 - 09/11/02 08:17 PM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
rlmc Offline

Loc: Croydon
Hi all - new member here! I'll be in Madrid for 8 days in October and from what has been posted I must not miss El Escorial! Should I consider staying over in El Escorial? If so, will cheap rooms be available without booking around mid October? Any recommendations?

#21109 - 09/12/02 04:57 AM Re: El Escorial and Chinchon - Best visiting time in the morning
Asterault Offline

It's not necessary to stay over, but it's pleasant enough to do so. The hotel I like a lot is the Victoria, which is a classy old place but it might be pricy. There's a place called Hostal Vasco which looks interesting. However, I've never stayed here in a hotel.

un saludo

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1809 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments