Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21050 - 08/02/02 11:54 PM Andalucia itinery
canter Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Any ideas and suggestions for our 3 week trip around Andalucia in December. I'm travelling with kids so would rather pick a few spots suitable for day-trips rather than constantly moving. This is what I was pencilling in: 3 days Antequerra train and then 3 days Cordoba train and then 5 days Sevilla bus and then 2 days Ronda. After that we though a week around Cadiz then back to Sevilla with a side-trip to Huelva. Do-able ?

#21051 - 08/03/02 12:44 AM Re: Andalucia itinery
Judy Offline

Loc: australia
Hi Canter, Are you interested in horses, we are going to your areas for the world equestrian games in Jerez, in September, so will be able to give you some feed back then.
Judy

#21052 - 08/03/02 09:53 AM Re: Andalucia itinery
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
How about a bar crawl in Sevilla? The kids will love it.

#21053 - 08/04/02 05:08 AM Re: Andalucia itinery
cubatex Offline

Loc: Middle East
Canter,
I have been to Ronda with my kids. Since you have a time restraint, I would schedule one full day there, which should be enough. Don't miss the old Plaza de Toros, it is suppose to be one of the oldest in Spain. My kids and I had a good time there. There is a city park with some excelent views and the entrance to Ronda from the coast is also a must. Enjoy your trip!

#21054 - 08/04/02 09:29 AM Re: Andalucia itinery
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Canter writes:
Quote:
This is what I was pencilling in: 3 days Antequerra train and then 3 days Cordoba train and then 5 days Sevilla bus and then 2 days Ronda. After that we though a week around Cadiz then back to Sevilla with a side-trip to Huelva.
For what it's worth: I think 5-days in Sevilla is a bit much. I would cut back on both Cordoba and Sevilla (2-days & 4-days). The AVE connects those two cities in 1-hour. Huelva is a good idea. especially since you are travelling with kids. Columbus' first voyage of discovery left from Palos de la frontera, near la Rabida. You might consider staying at Parador de Cristobal Colon near Mazagon. Another attraction in Huelva (province) is el Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio just south of Almonte on the west edge of Doñana National park, Europe's biggest. Damas, the Bus Company that's biggest in Huelva, runs one or two buses a day por pueblos between Sevilla and Huelva. They also have local bus service to Mazagon (and the University of Huelva) from Huelva.

Cadiz is also a good base for day trips to such places as Ronda, el Puerto de Santa Maria, Jerez de la frontera, etc. and maybe even Gibraltar.
P.D.
I just returned from Cadiz on July 19th. It was hotter here in Philadelphia than on Costa de la Luz. But we spoke to some relatives at their beach house Mazagon this week and they said it had turned very hot there around July 25th.

#21055 - 08/05/02 05:36 PM Re: Andalucia itinery
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
Actually I could stay a week in Sevilla and not run out of things to do and see. But, in this particular itinerary, since they're just trying to get a flavor of the area, I would agree with you that 5 days in Sevilla, is a bit much. However, I really think that if you're already in the area of Cordoba, you might as well go to Granada. The high point, and some say the only point, of Granada is to visit the Alhambra and Generalife. I spent a day in Granada and it was more than enough. Then drove to Jaen, which is only about an hour away, and stayed at the parador in Jaen. Excellent hotel in an old castle. From Jaen, it's only about 2 hours to Cordoba. Going straight from Cordoba to Granada, or vice-versa, by car, should take about 2 1/2 hours. Not that interesting of a drive since what you see is mostly miles and miles of olive trees. This area produces more olive oil than Italy, I was told.

My personal experience is that I liked the Alhambra in Granada, better than the Mesquita in Cordoba. However, all in all, I think Cordoba is a much nicer town than Granada.

So, the way I would change it is 3 days in Sevilla, 1 day in Granada and 2 days in Cordoba.

#21056 - 08/05/02 06:05 PM Re: Andalucia itinery
WB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
I think that 5 days in Sevilla is the bare minimum to see the city. 5 days will give you a general knowledge of the cities main attractions, but you will still not see many things.

You have the Guadalquivir, Triana & Calle Betis, El recinto de la Expo, La Catedral, Calle Sierpes, Barrio de Sta Cruz, la Giralda, La Plaza de Espana, El parque de Maria Luisa, El Alcazar Real & its gardens, Italica (Santiponce), La Torre del Oro, La Real Maestranza, plus many other smaller attractions. Plus, you want to have time to wander around and sit at outdoor cafes and relax and take it all in!! 3 days isn't enough to see this beautiful city.

Winston

#21057 - 08/05/02 06:13 PM Re: Andalucia itinery
canter Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Now you have me confused. Maybe it's being Australian, but the distances all seem so short that I think the best plan might be to go to Sevilla for a few days and then move out to Ronda, Cadiz, Huelva. If I still want to see more of Sevilla it's not far to travel back to. We'll be travelling in Decemember. Can anyone tell me how hard the travelling will be at that time of year ? And do Spaniards really take a long lunch break even in winter ?

#21058 - 08/05/02 08:59 PM Re: Andalucia itinery
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Canter

Being an Australian myself and being used to the long distances we are used to here I too became confused on my first trip to Europe many years ago. Just beacuse it is only 100-150Kms from point A to point B, it doesn't necessarily mean that the trip will be a short one. I tend to double the time it would take in Australia for the equivelant trip in Europe. Added to that you are travelling by train/bus and you have the delays due to connection times etc.

Travel during December will be a lot less hectic than July/Auguat as the number of Tourists will be down but, like people everywhere, there will be plenty of Spaniards travelling somewhere.

Yes, many Spaniards do take a long lunch beak (Siesta), but who does really depends on where you are and what you are looking to do as to whether the business will be closed or not.

Take note of what the others have said about Seviila, Cordoba and Granada and work around from there.

David

#21059 - 08/13/02 10:22 AM Re: Andalucia itinery
davidx Offline

I am not too bothered about the precise number of nights here and there as long as you do not mind travelling by day. I take it you are planning to see the Alhambra in Granada which is one of Europe's greatest sights - although I confess to disliking the town for more than one night. You should prebook your ticket.
If you care to e-mail me on davidcross@frogsmore72.fsnet.co.uk I will send you some folders of notes on Andalucia which you may find useful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments