Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21044 - 08/01/02 04:02 PM Santander or Santillana?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I'm going to spend 2 nights in this area next month and am trying to figure out which city to spend the night in. I have read that Santillana is very nice in the evenings after the tour buses have left and the parador and other places look simply enchanting. However, I'm planning on doing day trips up the coast and am wondering if it will be more practical to base myself in Santander (since I'll be dependent on public transportation).
Any thoughts?

#21045 - 08/02/02 05:47 AM Re: Santander or Santillana?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
CathyM writes:
Quote:
I'm planning on doing day trips up the coast and am wondering if it will be more practical to base myself in Santander (since I'll be dependent on public transportation).
Santander is also very nice in the evenings: Stroll down C/de Burgos, see street performers (some of whom are excellent). Or, if you are in el Sardinero you can see how people took their evening strolls along the coast in the 1890's. 'Public transportation' is the operative phrase and a limiting factor. From Santander you can take FEVE, Regular buses (such as ALSA to Bilbao) or Tour Buses to Liebana or Santillana, Comillas and San Vicente de la Barquera. I don't know of any to (San Sebastian de) Garabandal, site of reported Marian apparitions in the 1960's. My vote would be for Santander.

#21046 - 08/02/02 07:59 AM Re: Santander or Santillana?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
As much as I LOVE Santillana del mar- I would have to also say use Santander as a home base....it will be much easier to use public transportation...be sure not to miss Santillana though!!! laugh

#21047 - 08/02/02 01:43 PM Re: Santander or Santillana?
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Another vote for Santander...e.asier to get to Comillas and other day trips along the coast. the thing is, with only two nights, and Santillana rightly taking up one of your days, you don't have that much time. Bilbao is another possible day trip via bus.

El Sardinero is the desireable area to stay in Santander, although you may be better off downtown, closer to the bus station. Cheaper, too.

#21048 - 08/02/02 03:19 PM Re: Santander or Santillana?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Thanks, all. You've helped me make up my mind to stay in Santander. Also, only the annex of the parador has openings so that further solidified my decision.

Also, I think I'm only going to stay one night in Santander (I'm doing Bilbao as a daytrip from San Sebastian) so that I can spend one night in Oviedo. It would be the Dias de Americas festival in Oviedo that particular day (and my birthday as well!) laugh wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1761 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments