Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20954 - 07/10/02 03:35 PM Madrid v Barcelona
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
One of our low cost airlines here in Britain, easyJet, are doing some v. cheap flights to Madrid & Barcelona next march.
I want to go to Madrid again but Mrs notyor wants to go to Barca as we've never been.
I don't know if this has been done before but how do those of you who have been to both or live in either city, compare the two??
Here are a few criteria which are important to me (feel free to add your own).

Food
Nightlife
Sightseeing/Museums/galleries/Culture
Prices/value for money
Atmosphere/People

confused

#20955 - 07/13/02 03:35 PM Re: Madrid v Barcelona
SandraZ Offline

Loc: Madrid
I live in Madrid and just got back from a week in Barcelona. I LOVED it! If you've been to Madrid I'd say go to Barcelona - it's beautiful.I like Madrid, but Barcelona definately has a few things going for it: the sea, the Gaudi architecture (especially Parc Guell and the Sagrada Familia), the bohemian atmosphere of Las Ramblas, the shops, and a larger variety of international restaurants. Prices to museums and things seemed a bit higher than Madrid. Not sure about accomodation, but I would guess its also higher than Madrid - especially this time of year when hotel occupancy is almost 100%.

#20956 - 07/22/02 09:37 AM Re: Madrid v Barcelona
JamesC Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi , for me there is no choice....Barcelona by a mile!
I like Madrid and lived there for a while too but Barcelona simply has more to offer in my opinion except for art galleries where Madrid wins easily.
jamesC

#20957 - 07/22/02 12:56 PM Re: Madrid v Barcelona
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yes, art galleries and dance. There is no city in Spain as Madrid to dance, specially as long as Caribbean dances are concerned(Salsa, Bachata, Merengue).
Andrés

#20958 - 07/22/02 05:22 PM Re: Madrid v Barcelona
jazzbo54 Offline

Loc: Bermuda
can you expand, give web URLS for Salsa,latin jazz in Madrid?

We recently saw the famous Salsa,latin jazz band Poncho Sanchez from LA
Steel Groove Calypso Hits tapes
http://www.webcom.com/dsgarcia/home.html

#20959 - 07/23/02 01:55 PM Re: Madrid v Barcelona
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
Barcelona is booked for March.
£55 return with easyJet. Bargain methinks. wink laugh

Why do I feel sort of "unfaithful" towards Madrid rolleyes :lol:

#20960 - 07/24/02 12:22 PM Re: Madrid v Barcelona
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Barcelona blows and Madrid rocks! You all agree or someone would have already come up with www.barcelonaboy.com!!!

Go MadridMan!!

#20961 - 07/24/02 01:04 PM Re: Madrid v Barcelona
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ahhhh yes... the old Madrid versus Barcelona debate.

My ladyfriend (a madrileña, by the way) just returned to Madrid after 3-weeks in BCN taking a course and took notice that when talked about Catalunya and the rest of Spain as in... (translated).. "We in Catalunya don't leave our region very often as do Spaniards". Hahaha.. Too funny (to me.. but not to a Catalán).

Clearly, Barcelona and Madrid are like two different worlds... Madrid is IN SPAIN and Barcelona is IN CATALUNYA/CATALUÑA. So much so that when my ladyfriend and I went to BCN for Semana Santa a few years ago we entered the metro and she stopped me on the way down the steps, exclaiming, "OH NO! We have to change our pesetas!" 2 seconds later she realized what she'd said.. I was confused. We laughed long and hard about that one.

I've said this many many times in other BCN-related threads.. BCN is beautiful! BCN is SO artsy and "High Cultured"! BCN is.... well.. LIKE FRANCE! While I love BCN and will certainly go back I also think of BCN as NOT part of Spain at all (much to their delight, I'm sure).

So if you want REAL SPAIN (according to MadridMan), stay in Madrid or go SOUTH. Galicia is Galicia and Catalunya is Catalunya. I love it all but it's true that Spain is made up of MANY different SPAINS. Love them for what they are independently and let's not like or dislike one or the other because it's different from the other.. (hhmmm.. I think I just confused myself. hehehe.. wink )

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. SOMEONE already thought of BarcelonaMan.com (doesn't have much of a "ring" to it, but it's allll mine. cool )

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20962 - 07/24/02 03:36 PM Re: Madrid v Barcelona
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Barcelona ain't like France. Barcelona is a load of crap and is full of whiners! laugh

#20963 - 07/24/02 03:47 PM Re: Madrid v Barcelona
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Sheesh! Stop whining, already! hehehe.. wink SO harsh! You should know - you lived there!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments