Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20870 - 06/06/02 09:32 AM Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
sdnj33 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I am headed for Spain for 2 weeks and we were planning on going to the Costa Del Sol? Is is worth going? Where is it best to go? We are you and into going out, but also want to experience the culture and see things. Any comments? I here Nejra is nice?

#20871 - 06/06/02 02:27 PM Re: Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
My personal opinion is yes and no. Yes, it's worth visiting that area of Spain. No, because if you're in that area, I would suggest you spend more time on the western side, or Costa de la Luz. When I was in Andalusia last Dec/Jan, I found Malaga and especially Marbella, to be too touristy and overcrowded. I would have preferred the serenity of a small town like Zahara de las Atunes on the western side and perhaps spend a day or two at Melia Atlanterra hotel. Granted, the Atlantic side is a bit rougher but it much more quaint and more isolated. I visited Cadiz for a few hours and wished that I had more time to get a taste of the local flavor and that area lends itself well to this type of exploration. I regret not having had the time to visit Huelva. Just my 2 cents worth. Visit http://www.andalucia.com/costa-de-la-luz/home.htm

#20872 - 06/07/02 05:43 AM Re: Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Sdnj33 writes:
Quote:
I am headed for Spain for 2 weeks and we were planning on going to the Costa Del Sol? Is is worth going?
In a word: No!
Quote:
...I here Nejra is nice?
Yes, Nerja is nice; but I agree with Cornelio. The Costa del Sol is overcrowded with tourists & timeshare condo people. And you are more likely to find bandera azul every day on the Atlantic beaches than you are on Mediterranean beaches.
Quote:
We are you and into going out, but also want to experience the culture and see things. Any comments?
Cadiz and Sevilla for experiencing the culture and nightlife; Arcos de la frontera, Doñana park and wildlife refuge and the beaches around Mazagon, la Rabida and Isla Cristina. You might even visit Palos de la frontera from where Columbus sailed on his first Voyage of Discovery or El Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio near Almonte (Huelva)

#20873 - 06/07/02 06:50 AM Re: Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I have heard actually that Portugal has a much nicer coastline - they are a bit behind in development and have hence started to enforce more environmentally practical development. The nicest coastlines I've seen in Spain are north of Barcelona and along the Pais Vasco-Asturias-Cantabria, etc.

Of course, the southern coast is nice, but very touristy. Marbella they say is a beautiful town in its casco antiguo.

#20874 - 06/07/02 09:58 AM Re: Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
sdnj33 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Well we are headed to portugal(lagos, sagres, salema, lisbon, nazarre) as well after we hit seville. I have already booked places to stay in barcelona and madrid so I don't think we can do the costa brava near barcelona, I was torn between del Sol and Brava and I guess I chose the wrong one. So maybe we will head to the costa del Luz as suggested earlier, maybe huelva...any other suggestions??

#20875 - 06/07/02 07:59 PM Re: Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Go inland. See some actual history, not the overcrowding as mentioned prior. A beach is pretty much a beach no matter where you go, and if you're needing to relax, sit on a park bench under a tree in Cordoba or Madrid.

Better yet: Completely overhaul your travel plans and go to the less-touristy and less-travelled north!!!! The Basque Country awaits!!!!

#20876 - 06/13/02 06:32 PM Re: Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
lmkga Offline

Loc: Atl, GA
Along these lines...I'm going to be in Spain in July and was debating how much time to spend in Seville and Cadiz (we're not going to do the Marbella/Malaga thing.. .thanks for the advice.) My question: Is is too hot to enjoy these southern cities in mid July? Also Huelva... is this a good, quaint place to stop in on our way to Portugal?

#20877 - 06/14/02 05:48 AM Re: Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

lmkga writes:
Quote:
Along these lines ... Is is too hot to enjoy these southern cities in mid July? Also Huelva... is this a good, quaint place to stop in on our way to Portugal?
It's never too hot to enjoy Sevilla, but to paraphrase Rudyard Kipling: "Only mad dogs and 'Brits' go out in the midday sun." eek Cadiz is a seaport, so it tends to be a bit cooler. cool
If you are driving, I would suggest a stop at el Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio just south of Almonte in the Province of Huelva. Then there is a Parador Nacional in Mazagon. It's on a bluff overlooking the best beach around. That might be a good overnight stop. It was called el Parador de Cristobal Colon but it's known by the locals as Parador de Mazagón . rolleyes
If you stop there, be sure to visit one of the Ice Cream Parlors in Mazagon. There's one called la Alicantina that (IMHO) has the best Ice Cream you will find, anywhere. cool

#20878 - 06/14/02 08:59 AM Re: Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
lmkga Offline

Loc: Atl, GA
Thanks for the tip... If I'm not driving is Parador de Mazagón still an option?

#20879 - 06/15/02 05:14 AM Re: Costa Del Sol..Worth It?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

lmkga writes:
Quote:
If I'm not driving is Parador de Mazagón still an option?
It's kind of remote - it wouldn't be for me.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments