Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#20821 - 05/30/02 08:30 PM Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
PacoJones Offline

So this is a message board dedicated to Madrid and we all know how incredible it is (I lived by the Anton Martin metro boca for 8 months--I know!)--but I was wondering what everyone's favorite region in Spain is?

I'm going to be in Spain for a month from June to July and want to see all the different regions. I've lived in Madrid, Alcala de Henares (awesome city!! I definitely recommend it), Ciudad Real, Caceres, and Villalba (I love El Escorial and Segovia) but have never really seen the other regions, ie Andalucia, Valencia, Galicia, Pais Vasco, etc etc etc. I'll be spending time in all of them (except maybe Navarra & Aragon, and of course las islas) and am wondering which ones I should spend a little extra time in. All suggestions welcome!

To contribute to this discussion I'd recommend Extremadura to any seasoned Spainiac who hasn't "conocer"ed it!! smile You definitely need a car to experience it all, but if you have to settle for a train, Caceres and Merida are not to be missed! It definitely feels like a completely different and fantastic world out there.

-Jerry

#20822 - 05/30/02 09:17 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Being GranadaGirl, I feel it's my duty to recommend Andalucia! Although it's my namesake, it's also a great place to check out. Granada, Sevilla, and Cordoba could take up a whole week of your travels (maybe with a day at one of the coastal towns-Almunecar or Nerja-there are some beautiful sights to see throughout Andalucia, and if you can do it by car, all the better to see the olive groves and lemon trees!!

Ay, que la echo mucho de menos!!

-GG

#20823 - 05/30/02 10:46 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
PacoJones writes:
Quote:
So this is a message board dedicated to Madrid and we all know how incredible it is
eek rolleyes confused My God! How can I possibly make this MORE clear? How many times have I changed the title to reflect the broad focus of this message board??

Please-oh-please-oh-please see the title of this message board above: "MadridMan's ALL SPAIN Message Board". Even on the message board's entry page is says, "Welcome to MadridMan's ALL SPAIN Message Board"! confused Okay, yes, MadridMan.com is a website about Madrid specifically, but I've done all I can do to make clear that the message board is not only for/about Madrid, but the whole of Spain. (HUFF! PUFF!)

OKAY! DEEEeeeeeep breaaaaath..... Whooooooooo.. rolleyes :p : MY favorite region of Spain... OTHER THAN MADRID.. would have to NOW be Galicia. WOW! What a fantastic and naturally beautiful place that is. You've got it all up there! You've got a cooler climate, everything's SO green do to LOTS of rain, you've got the ocean, you've got the RIAS (estuaries), you've got TONS of seafood, you've got mountains and valleys, you've got lots of trees, LOTS of history, and warm, wonderful people.

So THERE you have it! (pardon my sudden outburst above.. hehhee. :o )

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20824 - 05/30/02 11:01 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Personally I loved the only 2 regions of Spain that I have visited so far (more to come) Madrid area and Andalucia.

I see that Madridman has now decided that Galicia is a new favourite, due to his comments both here and on his 2002 trip report. However, I have noticed that the 2002 trip report ends when you (Madridman) return to Madrid from Galicia on Day 6 of your journey. What else did you do whilst there????

David cool

#20825 - 05/30/02 11:03 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
We loved Rioja and the drive from there, through Burgos and on to Santillana del Mer was incredible.We also stayed a week in Palencia...a small city with a beautiful cathedral but otherwise not a particularly noteworthy town...but it was still just so wonderful...the people, the ambience, the food. I think "favorite places" could be just about anywhere in Spain.

#20826 - 05/30/02 11:13 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

DavidB! I just spent the last serval minutes looking over someone's (i.e. YOURS! ) wedding/reception photos in Australia!! NICE!

Yes, my MadridMan\'s Madrid/Galicia 2002 Journal DID end rather abruptly upon returning to Madrid. Why? Because it took the following 4 days IN Madrid to write about the previous 5 days in Galicia!! rolleyes Finally, I just decided not to spend any more valuable hours behind the computer and spent more time walking the streets and visiting friends. OH, and of course we had the "Party With MadridMan"!

Also, I LOVE Andalucía!!! I can't say enough about it. I even love the dryness of it all. Those rolling hills of olives and almonds are just beautiful!

I haven't yet been to Extremadura though. Someday I'd like to visit. I've only been as far west (in central-ish Spain) as Salamanca.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20827 - 05/30/02 11:29 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
GranadaGirl Offline

I've never been to Extremadura either, but after reading the biography of the king, appropriately called "El Rey", it tells how it was the first glimpse of Spain that he ever had. He grew up in exile until the age of 10 or 12, and would hear all these wonderful stories of how beautiful Spain is etc, then he shows up in the plains of Extremadura on a grey winter day, and he was wondering where all the beauty everyone had been telling him about was! (YES, I love the king, ok, well, maybe his SON a bit more, so I like reading this stuff...) His first sight of our lovely Spain was a winterized version of Extremadura...not the best choice I'd say... eek NOT that I'm saying Extremadura is nasty, DON'T take it like that...I'm just repeating what I read, and we all know how grey Madrid and Granada can get in January/February anyway...

I'd better go before I offend any more Extremadurans... rolleyes

-GG

#20828 - 05/31/02 12:33 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
sabalagirl Offline

Loc: Utah
My favorite place to relax and eat "the best food in Spain"(Frommer's) is in the Basque Country. The pace is relaxed and the people friendly. Many rural farmhouses are available as your base of operations. I know that many (most?) of the 'posters' on this board are young and they will love the beaches expecially San Sabastian. Many of the beaches in northern Spain have few people during the week and not hoards of people like in the Costa Del Sol and other southern beaches.on the weekends. laugh laugh

#20829 - 05/31/02 01:54 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
esq Offline

Loc: miami,fl
Paco, why don't you explain the rest of the users the "double entendre" of your nick? I doubt your name is Francisco or your last name is Jones.

#20830 - 05/31/02 02:59 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
It's an odd choice, but for me it would be a tossup between the green north (esp. Galicia) and the austere, almost empty meseta of Castilla la Vieja (oops...Castilla y Leon). There's something about that landscape, unbroken sometimes by even a single tree that is powerful and haunting. Driving along smaller roads and seeing the weathered hulk of a castle, or a small village lost in time...I don't know, you almost expect an hidalgo from the reconquista to come charging across. An overly romantic vision, but there you have it.

#20831 - 05/31/02 05:56 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
PacoJones Offline

Esq,

You're the first to notice (or at least say something) my nick. smile You're right, my real name is nowhere near "Francisco Jones" but I always thought Paco Jones would be a cool "real name" to have, even without the double meaning. smile

Also, sometimes I'll tell people in Spain that my name is Paco Jones and they always get a kick out of it when they say it themselves. smile

And for those who are absolutely clueless or don't speak spanish, go type the last 7 letters of my name in an online translator.

smile

#20832 - 05/31/02 10:08 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
GranadaGirl Offline

That is so funny!! Paco Jones, I didn't make the connection until I saw esq's posting earlier today... I live near New Haven, CT and there's a restaurant/bar there that's named "C.O. Jones". Get it?

Anyway, back to everyone's favorite region...

#20833 - 05/31/02 10:45 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Guapetona Offline

I would say el levante.... laugh laugh laugh

#20834 - 06/01/02 11:19 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
LOL!

Thanks Wolf for your many months ago translation of that!

#20835 - 06/02/02 05:39 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Cantabria (aka la Montaña) has a lot going for it: White, sandy beaches from Laredo in the east to Santander's el Sardinero & westward to San Vicente de la Barquera; the rolling hills of dairy country just a few kilometres inland, the rugged mountain passes, especially the gorge of the rio Deva on the border with the Principality of Asturias. The Picos de Europa also straddle that frontier. rolleyes

For religious pilgrimage you have Cristo de Limpias in the village of Limpias, just south of Laredo, Santo Toribio monastery near Potes (Liebana) where Vera Cruz the largest known fragment of the Cross of Christ is kept, San Sebastian de Garabandal, site of reported Marian apparitions (1960, '61). eek

Santillana del Mar has a new 'virtual' Cuevas de Altimara exhibit, a Parador (there's also a new one in Limpias), and great restaurants and sightseeing. Then there's Comillas with the towering Palacio del Arzobispo and the Universidad Pontifical alongside; Antonio Gaudi's Caprichos, building there has housed an Oriental restaurant the past 10-years.

If you want a nice scenic trip thru Cantabria, take FEVE (Ferrocaril Español de Via Estrecha ) from Bilbao to near Unquera - the scenery is great!

Then there's the Universidad Internaciónal Menendez Pelayo conveniently located in Playa Sardinero, Santander's best (IMHO).

In the summertime, Santander's calle de Burgos has many street performers. From Jul 20 to 25th the Santiago celebrations include daily bullfights, concerts, etc. and El dia de Cantabria (Sep 15) is celebrated big time cool

#20836 - 06/02/02 08:19 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Hi Madridman, thanks for the comments on my Web-site.

I can understand why you decided NOT to spend your time in Madrid at a Keyboard and instead wander and absorb the streets of Madrid.

However, when do you anticipate finishing the report. I, for one, am waiting to read more on your trip.

David cool

#20837 - 06/03/02 07:09 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Right now, i am studying at Universidad de deusto in northern spain. I LOVE it here...awesome. My favorite region without a second thought...Pais Vasco!!! It is not touristy, untouched, perfect! laugh

#20838 - 06/03/02 11:55 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

my favortite region in spain is..... galicia and then ......castilla

arriba os galegos e a mina terra galicia terra de meu pai(in galego offical language of galicia) wink laugh cool smile

#20839 - 06/03/02 12:17 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
esq Offline

Loc: miami,fl
I agree with fmiketheman, the only problem is that we are letting everybody in on the secret!!!

#20840 - 06/03/02 01:01 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Roe Offline

Loc: california
kelar419, it´s not too bad now, but just wait for the winter. It´s cold and wet, ugh! I love the place but I think the weather takes it off my favorites list.

#20841 - 06/03/02 03:48 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
DUH! What region would you expect CaliBASCO to choose? Why of course, it's Ceuta and Melilla!

EZ!!!! rolleyes

Since I like seasons, weather and scenery, I must, nay, I'm COMPELLED to choose Euskadi. I've lived in (mostly the north) for extended periods of time (Asturias, Galicia, Castilla, Madrid, Navarra, Rioja, Andalucia), but for my euros, Euskadi has it all.

And Roe, what are you saying? Is there anything more beautiful than a fresh coat of snow on top of Monte Igüeldo (overlooking the Playa de la Concha) in San Sebastián? The weather enhances the draw of the Basque Country to me.

One final thought: I realize I offered Navarra as a separate region, but spiritually-speaking I look at the Basque region as comprising seven provinces, four of which are in Spain, and one of which is Navarra. That way I can get sort of a "two-for-one" deal on my favorite region! :p

#20842 - 06/05/02 11:16 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
wildman Offline

The great thing about Spain, well one of them anyway, is just how diverse it is. True, the towns, specially the modern ones, often have a samey feeling these days. But if you hit the outdoors you could be on a series of different planets. Galicia and the north coast feel a lot like the more rugged coastlines of northern Europe. Almería, in the SE, boasts a real desert. Extremadura, in the W, has endless "encinares" - expanses of thinned out oak forests reminiscent of African plains. Parts of the Pyrenees are a lot like the Alps.... And so on. I therefore find it really difficult to settle for a "favourite" area of Spain. I'd just rule out the really industrial areas and keep the rest (i.e. most of it)! laugh

If I had to cast a specific vote (have you noticed I'm avoiding it?), I would second your recommendation for Extremadura. wink

wildman

#20843 - 06/05/02 04:14 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Like most of you, I love all of Spain, but, if I had to choose just one region, I would say Galicia, specifically Santiago de Compostela. But, if I had to work in Spain, say as a librarian, I would pick Salamanca. How I would love to work in that Universitylibrary even if it is for a few months, despite the naughty graphics on the stonework!

Then again, if I was truly blessed, I would like to work at the beautiful library at El Escorial. The first time I visited, in my youth, a long time ago, I got a private tour of the library by Brother Moises, whom we met on the train and shared lunch. It was my first time to visit a library with such a lovely medieval collection of rare manuscripts, particularly the Arab tomes.

Ave Maria, it truly is hard just to pick one region isn't it? laugh

#20844 - 06/05/02 08:47 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Guapetona Offline

calibasco,

i'm sure u know of this site already..but, its an excellent one on euskadi... pais vasco turismo and for everyone else who likes the basque country.. smile

#20845 - 07/04/02 12:28 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
balanceok Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK USA
My preferences, in order:

Andalucia - Sevilla, Granada, Malaga
Madrid - the city
Madrid Region - Aranjuez, Toledo, Avila, Sevilla
Costa Blanca - Elche, Murcia, Valencia, Alicante
Cataluna - Barcelona, Gerona, Tossa
Other sites - Burgos, San Sebastian

#20846 - 07/04/02 05:09 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

balanceok writes:
Quote:
Costa Brava - Elche, Murcia, Valencia, Alicante
Sorry, Charlie! None of thise places are on the Costa Brava. The Costa Brava is from the France border to the mouth of the rio Tordera, just south of Blanes. Tossa de mar (which you listed as among your favorite places in Cataluna) is on the Costa Brava near its southern end.

#20847 - 07/06/02 07:12 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
balanceok Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK USA
You're right. I meant to say Costa Blanca.

#20848 - 07/08/02 11:00 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Well, I like Extremadura; you know, Madrid, Cuenca, Santander. Those places in Extremadura are priceless. The Andorra region of Cataluña is really neat, too.

#20849 - 07/08/02 12:38 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

And what, NO ONE BUT ME loves the Cantabria Islands??!! eek
(I can just imagine future readers copying down all this VALUABLE information for a report and getting a failing grade! Shame on us. hehehehe... )

#20850 - 07/10/02 07:55 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
iker Offline

Loc: Cantabria
Hey everyone!!

You are rigth MM. Cantabria is a great land and only a few people know it. Cantabria has all....sea , valley and mountains...sun, rain and snow.... Modern cities with old and romantic ones. Art, history and fun....
It is true...I live here but all I can say it is true... I have visited many places in the rest of Europe and in the world and things you can find here are really incredible.

Try to visit what other people say about Cantabria:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.142359/1427/?s=j
http://turismo.cantabria.org/

Salu2

Iker

#20851 - 07/10/02 10:52 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Great, íker; but don't confuse your fantasyland Cantabria and all of its history with the Cantabria Islands. There's a big difference you know. The Cantabria Islands are just off the southern coast of the autonomous community of Melilla.

#20852 - 07/12/02 08:58 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Kaella Offline

Loc: Providence, RI
I'm taking a three week intensive spanish language course in Valladolid for the first three weeks in September. Is this anyone's favorite town?

#20853 - 07/12/02 01:02 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Kaella,
I consider Valladolid the heart of the nation and my prefered region, of course I have been here for over 6 months now!!!. All joking aside, Valladolid has its pluses and minuses. If you want some info about Valladolid E-mail me for the detailed answers. Additionaly, I am quite familiar with most of the language programs here, and could probably give you some advise, if your so interested.
Cheers

#20854 - 07/13/02 05:16 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

MadridMan writes:
Quote:
And what, NO ONE BUT ME loves the Cantabria Islands??!!
Sorry MM, I thought I knew a lot about Cantabria but I don't know where the Cantabria Islands are. Are you putting us on??? rolleyes

#20855 - 07/13/02 07:46 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Valladolid gets a bad rap in some guide books to Spain, but I've spent a fair bit of time there and really like it. The older part of the city is really very charming with some incredible architecture. While there you must see the National Sculpture Museum which is housed in the exquisite colegio de San Gregorio--the cloister there is just beautiful. San Gregorio, in turn, backs right up to the monastery of San Pablo which has an amazing facade--especially when it's lit up by the late-afternoon sun.

#20856 - 08/12/05 05:03 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Some superb wine and tapas in Valladolid as well.

As for the favourite region, I would probably plump for Asturias, followed closely by Castilla-Leon. For different reasons. Having said that, I've never been to Galicia and suspect that if I did, my preference may change.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments