Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#20841 - 06/03/02 03:48 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
DUH! What region would you expect CaliBASCO to choose? Why of course, it's Ceuta and Melilla!

EZ!!!! rolleyes

Since I like seasons, weather and scenery, I must, nay, I'm COMPELLED to choose Euskadi. I've lived in (mostly the north) for extended periods of time (Asturias, Galicia, Castilla, Madrid, Navarra, Rioja, Andalucia), but for my euros, Euskadi has it all.

And Roe, what are you saying? Is there anything more beautiful than a fresh coat of snow on top of Monte Igüeldo (overlooking the Playa de la Concha) in San Sebastián? The weather enhances the draw of the Basque Country to me.

One final thought: I realize I offered Navarra as a separate region, but spiritually-speaking I look at the Basque region as comprising seven provinces, four of which are in Spain, and one of which is Navarra. That way I can get sort of a "two-for-one" deal on my favorite region! :p

#20842 - 06/05/02 11:16 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
wildman Offline

The great thing about Spain, well one of them anyway, is just how diverse it is. True, the towns, specially the modern ones, often have a samey feeling these days. But if you hit the outdoors you could be on a series of different planets. Galicia and the north coast feel a lot like the more rugged coastlines of northern Europe. Almería, in the SE, boasts a real desert. Extremadura, in the W, has endless "encinares" - expanses of thinned out oak forests reminiscent of African plains. Parts of the Pyrenees are a lot like the Alps.... And so on. I therefore find it really difficult to settle for a "favourite" area of Spain. I'd just rule out the really industrial areas and keep the rest (i.e. most of it)! laugh

If I had to cast a specific vote (have you noticed I'm avoiding it?), I would second your recommendation for Extremadura. wink

wildman

#20843 - 06/05/02 04:14 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Like most of you, I love all of Spain, but, if I had to choose just one region, I would say Galicia, specifically Santiago de Compostela. But, if I had to work in Spain, say as a librarian, I would pick Salamanca. How I would love to work in that Universitylibrary even if it is for a few months, despite the naughty graphics on the stonework!

Then again, if I was truly blessed, I would like to work at the beautiful library at El Escorial. The first time I visited, in my youth, a long time ago, I got a private tour of the library by Brother Moises, whom we met on the train and shared lunch. It was my first time to visit a library with such a lovely medieval collection of rare manuscripts, particularly the Arab tomes.

Ave Maria, it truly is hard just to pick one region isn't it? laugh

#20844 - 06/05/02 08:47 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Guapetona Offline

calibasco,

i'm sure u know of this site already..but, its an excellent one on euskadi... pais vasco turismo and for everyone else who likes the basque country.. smile

#20845 - 07/04/02 12:28 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
balanceok Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK USA
My preferences, in order:

Andalucia - Sevilla, Granada, Malaga
Madrid - the city
Madrid Region - Aranjuez, Toledo, Avila, Sevilla
Costa Blanca - Elche, Murcia, Valencia, Alicante
Cataluna - Barcelona, Gerona, Tossa
Other sites - Burgos, San Sebastian

#20846 - 07/04/02 05:09 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
balanceok writes:
Quote:
Costa Brava - Elche, Murcia, Valencia, Alicante
Sorry, Charlie! None of thise places are on the Costa Brava. The Costa Brava is from the France border to the mouth of the rio Tordera, just south of Blanes. Tossa de mar (which you listed as among your favorite places in Cataluna) is on the Costa Brava near its southern end.

#20847 - 07/06/02 07:12 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
balanceok Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK USA
You're right. I meant to say Costa Blanca.

#20848 - 07/08/02 11:00 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Well, I like Extremadura; you know, Madrid, Cuenca, Santander. Those places in Extremadura are priceless. The Andorra region of Cataluña is really neat, too.

#20849 - 07/08/02 12:38 PM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
And what, NO ONE BUT ME loves the Cantabria Islands??!! eek
(I can just imagine future readers copying down all this VALUABLE information for a report and getting a failing grade! Shame on us. hehehehe... )

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20850 - 07/10/02 07:55 AM Re: Favorite region in Spain (besides la Comunidad de Madrid :) )
iker Offline

Loc: Cantabria
Hey everyone!!

You are rigth MM. Cantabria is a great land and only a few people know it. Cantabria has all....sea , valley and mountains...sun, rain and snow.... Modern cities with old and romantic ones. Art, history and fun....
It is true...I live here but all I can say it is true... I have visited many places in the rest of Europe and in the world and things you can find here are really incredible.

Try to visit what other people say about Cantabria:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.142359/1427/?s=j
http://turismo.cantabria.org/

Salu2

Iker

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments