Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20796 - 05/29/02 09:56 AM Santiago de Compostela
Isabela Offline

Loc: Exeter, UK
Hi! Am going to be spending a week in August at the Universidad de Santiago as part of an Open University Spanish diploma. Would really appreciate advice on what to do, where to go etc. Does it really rain as much as they say??

#20797 - 05/29/02 01:50 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Search this site, as there are a hundred posts on Santiago, the road to Santiago and affiliated ideas.

I just got back from cycling the camino de Santiago, and have posted a little on what to see in Santiago proper. Search for that thread.

To answer your question: It DOES rain as much as they say. Bring your bumbershoot. The normal rain is more of a "llovizna" which is misty, doesn't look like you're getting wet, and when you get to where you're going, you're soaked. Rain gear es muy importante!

You will LOVE Compostela. It is a fascinating city with TOO MUCH to do!!!

#20798 - 05/30/02 05:28 AM Re: Santiago de Compostela
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Isabela writes:
Quote:
Am going to be spending a week in August at the Universidad de Santiago ...
If there is any way you could be there the last week or so in July (i.e., July 25: Santiago!)it would be well worth the effort and/or any additional expense you might incur. They build a false facade (fireworks) on the Basilica and set them off around midnight July 24th. This is in addition to much other stuff like the Tuna Universitaria from the various Facultades of the University.
BTW
The last time I was in Santiago for the Apostle's feast day (Año Júbilar Xacobeo 1999) it didn't rain at all for a week or so. It rains a lot but I think their rainy season is mainly in Spring.

#20799 - 05/30/02 09:20 AM Re: Santiago de Compostela
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

eddie

just one correction it did not rain when you went there but it did rain a couple of weeks before and this time it wa a storm not a drizzles.it drizzles more the rest of the year.second correction the rainiest season is not spring(are you kidding me?)but winter.winter is the rainiest season then autumn and then spring and the driest but not quite s dry is summer.

tenga usted un buen dia :p smile

#20800 - 07/03/02 11:46 AM Re: Santiago de Compostela
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Just found a most informative site on the internet that deals with celtic spain, specifically Santiago de Compostela. Here is the url from the website called Fabulous Travel.
smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1690 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments