Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20738 - 05/09/02 01:39 PM Spanish Pyrennes?:Hi EverYoNE!!
monita Offline

Loc: Montreal
Hi EveryOnE!!!
this is my first post on MM. I'm off to Spain in June and would really appreciate if someone could recommend a spot in the Spanish Pyrennes?
Any Hidden GemS???
realizing that train travel in this area is difficult or at least seems to be less frequented by travellers.
Trying my luck.

Hola !
Es mi primera vez sober MM y voy a Espagna en Junio.Me gustaria mucho si algen me poderia lludar con mi busca en les pyrennes d'Espagna.
se que no hay mucho informacion sober esta area y estoy jugando mi suerte. wink
ciao.
la monita;)

#20739 - 05/09/02 02:54 PM Re: Spanish Pyrennes?:Hi EverYoNE!!
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Monita,

Have you read the thread called Aragonese Pyrenees? It's here in the Favorite Places sections, a few thread down.

I strongly recommend Jaca, after spending numerous vacations there at different times of year. I have never come across any other pueblo like it in Spain. Not only does it have loads of history, great architecture, monuments, and museum collections, it has cultural offerings few pueblos its size can match, not to mention countless sports opportunities. It's in a beautiful location, and it makes a wonderful base for more exploration of the area. The restaurants are excellent, there are bars and pubs galore, the tapas and the pastries (oooh...the pastries....) - well, you'll have to experience it yourself!

These websites are in Spanish, but they are helpful.

http://www.aytojaca.es/
http://www.jaca.com/

There are plenty of places to stay, but it does fill up in July and August. The office of tourism is very helpful, and they speak English there if the Spanish is a problem. French is widely spoken because of its proximity to France.

#20740 - 05/22/02 02:02 PM Re: Spanish Pyrennes?:Hi EverYoNE!!
wildman Offline

My personal favourite is Ordesa. There is some good information in English here...

http://www.wild-spain.com

#20741 - 05/22/02 02:23 PM Re: Spanish Pyrennes?:Hi EverYoNE!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I suggest Valcarlos...but be prepared to have nothing to do all day! I love it! There are any number of small Basque hamlets in the Pyrenees on the Road from Pamplona to St. Jean Pied-de-Port...and since you're from Montreal, you could easily slip over the border to St. Jean and enjoy a bit of France, too! (Valcarlos is 3 km. from the border.) There are a number of rural houses in the area (see www.toprural.com and click on Navarra), but sadly the best one, Curutzezahar, is out of business for the year (our family is taking the year off, but will be back into it next year).

Enjoy this absolutely beautiful part of Spain!!!

#20742 - 05/22/02 04:12 PM Re: Spanish Pyrennes?:Hi EverYoNE!!
monita Offline

Loc: Montreal
Thank you so much Diana, Wildman and CaliBasco for your suggestionS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm taking all of them into account:). I've narrowed down my Spanish Pyrennes destinations to Ainsi, Jaca, Estella,and Pamplona. with night stays in Jaca and Estella. if anyone can recommend specific dining or speacilties in these spots please drop me a line:) otherwise attend for my review on these destinations apon my return;) Thanks again so much.

ps. CaliBasco i absolutely love your signature phrase. "You are great until proven ordinary. No great person wants to prove it."
words by Valdamir Karas

take care,
monita

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1666 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments