Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20661 - 04/18/02 10:50 AM Aragonese Pyrennees
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Hi! I'm new here and thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. Although I have loved everywhere I have been in Spain, my favorite place so far is in the Aragonese Pyrennees. It is a stunner and soooo wonderfully cool in the summer. We hiked and hiked and mountain biked and hiked. Going through meadows full of irises on to a glacier. The parador in Bielsa is beautiful. The nearby camping area looks really nice, too. Ordesa National Park is gorgeous, too. Lots of people, but pick a serious trail, and it's pretty quiet. We stayed nearby in Torla and spent $30 on a fabulous dinner for 2 with Gran Marnier after dinner! We also went to an International Folk Dance Festival in Jaca . They were doing it every other year. Hope they still are--it was so cool. In the week we were there, the only Americans we saw were a couple living in Barcelona who were backpacking way up on the scariest trail I've ever hiked. Hope they had fun, cuz I couldn't wait to get back to the Parador for a hot bath and dinner to die for!

#20662 - 04/18/02 11:30 AM Re: Aragonese Pyrennees
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Jana!

I'm so glad someone else loves that area of Spain! I have spent a lot of time there over the years - we stay in Jaca - and it's my favorite, too. The Festival Folklorico is not to be missed! It will be across the border in the French town of Oloron Ste Marie this year. It's there in the even-numbered years, and in Jaca the odd-numbered years. Last summer we coincided with a medieval market in Jaca. They couldn't drag me away! What a perfect location for such a market! And walking through the mountains and valleys is just incredible! You are so right! Have you seen the valleys of Hecho and Anso? Stunning!

#20663 - 04/18/02 01:46 PM Re: Aragonese Pyrennees
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My goodness! That looks absolutely beautiful!! (I've inserted some handy links with photos into your posting above) That parador made my eyes pop out! eek This part of Spain has GOT to rank high on the MOST-BEAUTIFUL-REGIONS-OF-SPAIN list. Wow! I'm writing it in PEN on my "Places to visit in Spain" list now.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20664 - 04/18/02 03:03 PM Re: Aragonese Pyrennees
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
MM, the pictures you added were a gread addition, I especially liked the parador. The posts were interesting to read, but are more vivid now...Definitely, a must to visit on my next trip to Spain..

Wyndyl smile

#20665 - 04/20/02 12:23 AM Re: Aragonese Pyrennees
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
WOW! Did anybody else immediately print out the map on how to get to the Parador? It looks absolutely breathtaking? I am there the very first chance I get! Absolutely beautiful!

#20666 - 04/28/02 02:17 PM Re: Aragonese Pyrennees
geny Offline

Loc: Montreal
Hi! I am planning to go in the Parque Nacional di ordessa at the end of May. Is it easy to go by train? I want to go there from Madrid. Could anyone help me on that please?

Thanks

#20667 - 04/28/02 09:56 PM Re: Aragonese Pyrennees
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Geny. The trains don't go to Ordesa. The closest you can get by train is Sabiñánigo or Jaca. (They are on the same line. There's a daily train going there from the Chamartín station in Madrid. See the Renfe website for more details.) According to the official website for the park, you can take a bus there from one of the neighboring towns. ( http://www.ordesa.net/como-llegar/ )I'm just not sure how close it will get you to the park itself. You can also rent a car, in Madrid or Huesca province, (I've done so in Jaca) and drive there, or you can look into excursions from Jaca, because there are all kinds of excursions for all kinds of outdoor activities there. I suggest e-mailing the tourism office in Jaca ( oficinaturismo@aytojaca.es ) and asking them for advice. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful there. If you don't know Spanish, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure someone there will be able to handle English, and definitely French. Being so close to the border with France, French is almost a second language there. The end of May is a great time to go, since there will be virtually no tourists then, but I don't know how that affects excursions.

Have a wonderful trip! I'm sure you'll love it!

#20668 - 04/30/02 07:09 PM Re: Aragonese Pyrennees
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
The Pirineos (Pyrenees) will always have a special place in my heart as that is where my now husband proposed to me! wink

#20669 - 05/01/02 09:30 PM Re: Aragonese Pyrennees
ndestries Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Is this the same area as the Basque Country? What about the beaches...or the area at the southern most border b/w france and Spain. Any recomendations? I am absolutely clueless at the moment! All help is appreciated.

#20670 - 01/26/04 05:49 AM Re: Aragonese Pyrennees
Au Offline

Loc: Singapore
Yes i would like to echo similar question - is The Pirineos (Pyrenees)similar to the northern spain regions? We want to enjoy lush green hills/mountains/valleys. Wondering whether The Pirineos (Pyrenees) or the northern spain (asturias regions) would be a better bet in March itself. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments