Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20593 - 04/01/02 02:29 PM San Sebastian or the Algarve (Portugal)
bennyboy96 Offline

Loc: California
I know this is a Spain site, but I'm seeing if anyone's been to the Algarve in Portugal (either Lagos or Sangres). We're going to Spain and Portugal this summer and are deciding between spending time in San Sebastian or the Algarve. If you have been to one or both, please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks!

#20594 - 04/01/02 08:54 PM Re: San Sebastian or the Algarve (Portugal)
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
I've never been to San Sebastian, though we are going there this summer. I have been to the Algarve, and it was fantastic. We stayed in Salema at Rick Steve's favorite place, the A Mare www.algarve.co.uk. It was wonderful, with a great view, and reasonably priced. The tip of the Sagres peninsula is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The beach in Salema is really nice, and not crowded (we were there at the end of June, 2 weekdays). The water is warm. Lots of surfing if you drive to Portugal's west coast. Portugal is really beautiful--but it's not Spain. Other parts of Portugal--Lisbon area, and northern Portugal--are even more interesting. Buy some ceramics. Portugal is a lot like California, except with ancient culture, and not at all as built up. Watch out for truly insane drivers.

#20595 - 04/11/02 09:51 PM Re: San Sebastian or the Algarve (Portugal)
ralphy Offline

Loc: Australia
I have been to San Seb and Lagos. Both are great places. Lagos is beautiful. In fact the Algarve is the most beautiful coastline in europe (that i have seen anyway and that includes France, italy and spain). It is full of rocky cliffs and grottos with little coves of beaches surrounded by cliffs. The water is alot warmer there too and is a beautiful colour.
The nightlife is fairly hectic and the whole place is packed in summer. pubs and beaches are crowded. the algarve also has beautiful food. simple but tasty seafood dishes.
san seb is also a great place. not as beautiful but a great town and culture. the nightlife is crazy, and there are so many bars.
beaches there are nice but do not compare to lagos. on my experience i rate them equal.
shouldn't normally do this...but it may help
san seb lagos
food 6.5 8
beaches 7 8.5
weather 7.5 8
culture 9 7
actual towns 8.5 7
people 8.5 8
value for money 6 7.5
beer 8 9 (super bock
(best beer in
(europe)
nightlife 9 8
history 7 6

#20596 - 04/14/02 11:47 PM Re: San Sebastian or the Algarve (Portugal)
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
I visited San Sebastian a couple of summers ago and thought it was wonderful. It was a very peaceful place to spend a few days. A friend of mine and I split time between the beaches and the two "mountains" on either side of the bay. The views of the city from on high were breathtaking. Everything just seemd to be in its rightful place. On the side of the bay opposite the Parte Vieja is a famous Eduardo Chillida sculpture fixed into the rocks. What I remember most fondly is taking a paseo at dusk and watching the sun set over the bay. The sunsets were some of the most beautiful I have seen. I hope you have a great trip wherever you decide to go!

#20597 - 04/25/02 07:06 PM Re: San Sebastian or the Algarve (Portugal)
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
SS is a great place. Reknown throughout the country for its tapas (you have to pay!) and its restaurants. Beach is wonderful and France is just a stone´s throw away. SS is expensive, though, generally speaking, in all respects. But that´s life here in the north...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments