Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20533 - 03/24/02 06:33 PM Basque Country
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
There seems to be very little information on the site about this area, so I hope someone may be interested in my recent holiday there.

We stayed a week in Bilbao. And yes, the Guggenheim is every inch the fantastic building it is described to be. But I'm afraid we don't "do" museums (we do the pubs next to the museums!), so I can't tell you about the art, only that the Puppy and the Spider outside are fabulous. But it is one of those buildings you want to touch and feel and walk all around and then get a good a view from the top as possible. Magic, especially at twilight when the setting sun makes it the most beautiful rose colour. We passed it several times and at different hours and were always impressed. And even the airport is something to be admired.

We stayed at the Hotel Arriaga (66euros a night) and can highly recommend it - even if it is a bit noisy at night (esp. when fiesta is on!) It is right next door to the beautiful Teatro Arriage and in the heart of the Casco Viejo, which is where you'll find street upon street of pincho bars. And what pinchos . . . try Kroketak (potatoe and jamon croquettes) at the Cafe Bar Bilbao and you'll discover gastronomic heaven. Pinchos and a few canitos (which is what I think baby canas are called) are the perfect night out.

In the area we visited San Sebastian (Donostia) and Vitoria (Gasteiz). San Seb just blew us away. Everything I'd read said it was a beautiful town, but they don't do it justice. We visited twice and just wandered up and down the La Concha beach putting the world to rights before heading into the old town for our first taste of pulpos. Vitoria has a fantastic Plaza de Espana, very picturesque, but after San Seb everywhere was a wannabe . . . And Bilbao itself has some great beaches (no, we didn't do the nudist one!), especially in Getxo on the Metro line.

Metro very easy to use, and the bus station (next to Athletico Bilbao's stadium) is always busy with an easy system to use. Spanish transport, as ever, knocked spots off the English . . . People very proud of their Basque roots (and, my husband says, are some of the prettiest girls around. Hmmm)Oh, and on one of our paseos (Bilbao such an easy place to paseo) we got to see a Jai-Alai practice which was fabulous. The game is just soooo much more exciting in real life than on TV. Wished we'd seen a proper game, and am amazed at how their hands are in one piece.

I wouldn't recommend Bilbao itself as a place to stay for a week, as we did, but its a great setting off place. If we went again, it would be for a couple of days, and then move on. We were limited by having to use public transport and being on a budget, so mebbes if you wanted to keep it as your base but travel and stay over elsewhere it would be better.

Anyway, hope some of you found that interesting. Would be keen to hear other people's thoughts on the area.

Lizziee

#20534 - 03/24/02 08:06 PM Re: Basque Country
Roe Offline

Loc: california
I pretty much have to agree with everything you said. It is a little hard for a tourist to stay here very long, but living here is nice, plenty of parties, great food, great public transit, friendly people and the beach! I love this place.
BTW, it is Athletic Bilbao, an englishman came over and started the club over 100 years ago and so they make a big point that it is not in spanish.

#20535 - 03/28/02 12:46 PM Re: Basque Country
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
This is great to hear! I am studying abroad this summer at Universidad de Deusto (in Bilbao). I wanted a place that would not feel "touristy", kinda off the beaten path kinda thing. I am so excited!! If anybody has any advice- it would be much appreciated:)

#20536 - 03/28/02 05:00 PM Re: Basque Country
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Yeah, there aren´t that many tourists here. My girlfriend grew up here and is suprised everytime she sees tourists saying that it is so strange. There are more and more every year, but still reletively few compared to other places. Also once you leave the downtown/guggenhiem area you probably won´t see that many. Especially with all the fiestas, you should have a blast!

I am told during the summer the city is a little empty as so many people go to summer houses and vacations, but dont´ worry. There are parties everyday is some town. The beach in sopelana/larrabastera is nice! Get the crediTrans when you get there, it works like a bus and metro ticket, but is cheaper per use.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1848 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments