Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20282 - 02/11/02 05:18 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I spent some time in Galicia quite some time ago. Pontevedra was very nice, with many dance clubs and modern shopping areas. I remember how impressed I was with their shopping mall.

However, if you want a great place to stay, spend a night at the Parador in Baiona. It's magnificent. You can explore the grounds and the walls around it for hours. I have great memories of watching the waves crash into the rocky shore on a moonlight night. It was by far my favorite place to stay in Spain.

I know you can reach Baiona by bus. Here is a link to a site about the city.
http://baiona.com/

Good luck and have fun!

#20283 - 02/11/02 06:12 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Although my father is from a small town near La Coruña, and I have been there many times...I think that considering your plans , you could skip La Coruña :o and concentrate on las Rías Baixas. Pontevedra IS charming and easy to get to know...and I also would recommend the Parador of Baiona...it has a gorgeous setting.

#20284 - 02/12/02 05:12 AM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
nevado Offline

Another vote for the Parador in Baiona! It's so beautiful. I wanted to get married there but my husband thought it would be too far for the guests. Good thing I didn't, they complained about having to drive an hour and a half!

#20285 - 02/12/02 06:23 AM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Let me begin by saying that Semana Santa this year is the last week of March. So you are outside that 'window.'

I like the Castillo del Conde de Gondomar in Baiona too; and if CathyM were going in July or September, I would heartily recommend it. Much of its charm comes from its location at the mouth of the ria de Vigo: a 'thumbs up' in the summer months, but in early April???

A Travel Agency there might be able to set up a tour to Monte Santa Tecla (la Guardia). It's definitely worth the effort as is the coastal route from Baiona south to la Guardia.

I visited Santiago in February once (for An Troido in '99) and had good weather. But you can't count on the weather cooperating in the Spring. The fact that you are going in early April ... Galicia's Weather might be a bit wet then; so don't expect to be able to do many outdoorsy things that time of year. In Santiago, I recommend Hostal Hogar San Francisco, a 'working' Franciscan convent (Friars, not Nuns). And in Vigo I like Hotel America: nice location a block off the Plaza de Compostela and the Puerto Deportivo (Marina), near la Pedra marketplace and the Cathedral of Santiago de Vigo. Both those hotels are 3-star category rolleyes

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#20286 - 02/17/02 12:11 AM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
We spent a month in A Coruna last summer, and loved every moment of it. It was heartbreaking to leave. It's definitely worth more than a day trip. The downtown is hopping and the people are really nice. Everyone will speak Spanish as well as Gallego--but don't count on any English (one of the plusses, to my mind). Nightlife is stellar around Calle Major and just off the Playa Riazor. Make sure to eat pimientos de Padron, vieras, and especially gambas ajillo (shrimp in garlic sauce)--and of course, chorizo. In fact, make sure to spend lots of time eating tapas because you'll never eat as well in your life.

You might want to rethink the car idea. It's quite cheap to rent a car in Spain if you do it from the States. The roads are great, not crowded, and signs are easy to follow in that part of Spain.

With or without a car, I would see A Coruna, Santiago de Compostela, Pontevedra, maybe Vigo. With a car, you could include Finisterre, Camarinas..... The coastline anywhere in Galicia is spectacular. I hope you have good weather, because it could be raining constantly. Still, it's beautiful, and what a treat to be there without tourists. Lucky you.

#20287 - 02/18/02 04:32 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Now I am really confused.....

Should I:

1) Do 1-2 nights in La Coruna, 2-3 nights in the Rias Bajas, and the remainder (3-4 nights) in Santiago.

2) skip La Coruna (as an overnight at least) and spend 3 nights in the Rias Bajas, and 4 nights in Santiago

OR

3) skip La Coruna (as overnight) and spend 2 nights in the Rias Bajas, 3 nights in Santiago and 2 nights in LEON? I could fly to Leon on day 1. It's supposed to be a beautiful town.

4) 2 nights Rias Bajas
3 nights Santiago
2 nights Barcelona (I could fly into Barcelona instead of Madrid).

Ugh. frown I can't seem to make up my mind. I don't want to push too much into only 7 nights but I don't want to be bored either. I need to get my air (within Spain) and hotel reservations made soon.

Any thoughts on adding Leon or Barcelona?

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: CathyM ]

#20288 - 02/18/02 07:10 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Spend time in Compostela. There is much to see that most people don't even know about. The cathedral alone is worth a day...and check the schedule for when pilgrim's mass is said. When you get to Compostela, you'll know exactly what I mean about spending time there. To me, it's old quarter is second only to Toledo, but is uniquely medieval. Take time to soak in the ambience, as there are seemingly endless "undiscovered" treasures in the forms of convents, monasteries, churches, chapels, manor houses, and of course...don't miss eating the bread from Pan Compostela on the main old-town drag...as well as lunch at Casa Manolo...again, in the old part. Just ask ANYONE "¿dónde está Casa Manolo?" They'll know.... smile

I've spent nights in Pontevedra, and recommend it, but perhaps you'd like to look for yourself...check out the webcams on TV Galicia's web site, at www.crtvg.es . You can get a good look at Baiona, Tuy, Pontevedra and many other sites.

For me, though I've been twice, Coruña isn't an overnight stop. I'm sure that if I'd do a little more research, it could be, but Santiago's your jewel, and Pontevedra/Vigo along with the other places people have recommended, are worthy stops.

#20289 - 02/19/02 04:56 AM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
nevado Offline

Cathy, now you're talking crazy! smile Stick to Galicia as planned and you won't regret it. You'll be able to taste all the foods and get a feel for the area, no sense mixing in Barcelona and León. Save them for another trip or two, or three or...

#20290 - 02/19/02 09:11 AM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Cathy,
I agree with nevado and Calibasco...GO to Galicia...you will ADORE it. Stay with the plan to spend a good amount of time in Santiago, it is a magical place! You are certain to love it. Don't add on León or Barcelona on this trip...it is way too much! You can stick to las Rias Baixas and be very content exploring. I think your #2 plan is great. buen viaje!

#20291 - 02/19/02 02:28 PM Re: Galicia itinerary - April 2002
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I believe San Telmo is the name of the Parador Naciónal in Tui. Festivals honoring Saints are usually fixed dates (San Fermin, San José, Santiago, Santo Toribio, etc.). The 'two weeks after Easter' (like the feria de abril in Sevilla) is a movable date. One exception is the Romeria de la Virgen del Rocio, celebrated on Pentecost Sunday which, like Easter is a movable Church Holy Day. rolleyes There is something celebrated in Tui called the Eel Festival (Festival de la Angula). It may not be very appetizing but if all the other festival motifs are already spoken for, you go with what you've got ... laugh
CathyM: There's a Talgo that departs Madrid (Chamartin) for Santiago about 1:30 PM. It gets to Santiago (or Vigo) around 9:00 PM. It splits at Redondela de Galizia (yes, there's such a place), one segment to Vigo and the other north to a'Corunha. Here's Hostal Hogar San Francisco's phone number:
57 25 64 or 57 27 64. You have to put the 011 34 (and then either an '8' or a '9' for Galicia). I think it's an '8.'

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments