Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#20126 - 01/14/02 07:09 PM Re: Travel dilemma over - Galicia here I come!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The people in Vigo don't seem to like them very much; but Vigo has some very impressive modernist sculptures along its main avenues;
One is called the Guillotine; another seems to portray workers rebelling against the State.
Vigo is Galicia's busiest seaport (having displaced a'Corunha several years ago) and major Atlantic fishing port. Vigo has an Irish Pub / Nightclub called 'Dublin' where parts of the Chieftains' album 'Santiago' was recorded (with Carlos Nuñez, a Vigo native, playing the Uillean bagpipes). It's just a few blocks from the Renfe station but it doesn't open until about 21:30. Vigo has a bagpipe (gaita Gallega) competition each year in May and the Province of Pontevedra attracts numerous musical groups each year, mostly in Summer. Vigo has an excellent University with Spain's major facultad in Oceanography.
Your Vigo guidebook needs to be updated!

#20127 - 01/15/02 09:31 AM Re: Travel dilemma over - Galicia here I come!
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Well, let me tell you that I love Vigo and Pontevedra. My family comes from a small town between the two cities. I think Vigo is a bustling city...with San Francisco-like hills. I think Pontevedra is so charming. I got be be in both cities a lot this past summer and They are both worth a trip. They are both different and offer different "ambientes".
I would also go to the Cies if possible in the Spring. They are gorgeous and the trip by ferry is also fun! Galicia is AMAZING! You will love it!

#20128 - 01/15/02 09:34 AM Re: Travel dilemma over - Galicia here I come!
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello.

I don't know how are you going to move there, by car, by bus ...?.

Personally, I would choose your second option "2 nights north (LaCoruna?), 3 nights Santiago, and 2 nights south (Pontevedra / Vigo)?" and, between Pontevedra and Vigo, I'd choose Pontevedra (but moving me a day to Vigo).

Last summer I was in Galicia and the best views I saw was in Vigo. There is a huge bridge at the entrance of Vigo and the views from there were really amazing (in my opinion) eek . But, I went by car and I don't know if it is easy to go to that bridge by train, bus, etc. Maybe Eddie has more information about this.

The second place I liked best, was a little village called Tuy, but I think is too far from Vigo, just in the frontier with Portugal. frown

Too many good places to see there cool, and too few days to stay mad

Bye!

#20129 - 01/15/02 11:59 PM Re: Travel dilemma over - Galicia here I come!
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Cathy,
Tough Call.
Venice is great but after 3 days I was getting bored. Venice is a must but unless you plan to visit several other cities in Italy...Go to Galicia.
Last time I was in Madrid, I was going to go to Santiago for four days because I'm facinated by the celtic influence in Galicia BUT!.....I was having way too much fun in Madrid.
Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

#20130 - 01/16/02 06:36 AM Re: Travel dilemma over - Galicia here I come!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
hombre_gizon writes: [quote] Last summer I was in Galicia and the best views I saw was in Vigo. There is a huge bridge at the entrance of Vigo and the views from there were really amazing (in my opinion) . But, I went by car and I don't know if it is easy to go to that bridge by train, bus, etc. Maybe Eddie has more information about this. (/quote]
The rail line doesn't cross that bridge. It gives one a great view of the bridge where it crosses the ria. I don't know which bus crosses the bridge. As I recall, the buses between Vigo & Santiago or a'Corunha go by the autopista which is further inland. But there may be a local bus that crosses that bridge. confused

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments