MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#20059 - 12/29/01 12:03 PM Re: Northern Spain itinerary - advise
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I just wanted to thank everyone for their great responses.

I'm hoping to pull together a final itinerary in April (after my March trip to Italy for a week!). Then I'll have alot of specific questions and can do the applicable searches on this site.

Although it's nice to have the flexibility with a car, I don't think I'll be renting a car, at least if I go alone. I can only drive an automatic transmission and that would be quite costly by myself. I also hate to drive and really think it helps to have one driver and one navigator when in Europe!

Another thought I had is ending (or beginning) the trip in Lisbon versus Madrid. I think it may be a little closer to Santiago and I wouldn't be backtracking. Any thoughts on this?

#20060 - 12/29/01 12:43 PM Re: Northern Spain itinerary - advise
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola!
I was in Galicia yesterday, lovely region and I am so glad I came. It is not as cold as Castilla. The people are lovely.

I can recommend, if you are planning a trip to Santiago de Compostela, the Hotel Peregrino. Excellent hotel close to the University and the Renfe Station. However, if you truly want a wonderful and memorable stay, go to the Parador de Los Reyes Catolicos, right next to the Catedral. You can stay there with three Bancotel coupons, contact Bancotel http://www.bancotel.es
directly since it does not appear in their webpage. The place is a treat the rooms are spacious and the bathrooms have brass sinks, truly lovely.

CaliBasco,
Unfortunately Casa Manolo was closed for repairs off the Rua Nova. So I did not get a chance to eat there. But did go to the Parador for a memorable and pricey Christmas dinner!
Booklady

#20061 - 12/29/01 03:20 PM Re: Northern Spain itinerary - advise
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Booklady! I'm bummed you missed out on Casa Manolo...did you try both locations?

All I can say is they'd better be done "renovating" by the time I get there in May...or gallego heads will roll!!! smile

#20062 - 12/30/01 06:29 AM Re: Northern Spain itinerary - advise
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
CathyM writes:
Quote:
Another thought I had is ending (or beginning) the trip in Lisbon versus Madrid. I think it may be a little closer to Santiago and I wouldn't be backtracking. Any thoughts on this?

I have done that. There's an International Train from Vigo - Porto daily around 13:00. It's a slow, uncomfortable ride and it can get very crowded. Buy a First Class ticket to be guaranteed a seat all the way. At Porto, if you hurry, you can catch a 17:00 Alfa to Lisbon, arriving Lisbon (Oriente) around 21:00. When I did that last, the only (turista) seat that was available was in a smoking car. bummer! frown
You'll have an advantage: the last time I did that I couldn't find any ATM's in the Porto train station so I had to 'tough it out' with nothing to eat or drink all the way to Lisbon. eek Since both Portugal & Spain will be on the Euro, you won't have that problem. There are sandwiches & drinks vendors on the Alfa. rolleyes

#20063 - 12/30/01 05:10 PM Re: Northern Spain itinerary - advise
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I definitely don't suggest driving unless you have a companion who likes to drive a manual transmission. Although driving gives you a lot of flexibility--my husband is the driver, I'm the map reader--it really does require two people.

We found tons of great lodging in the north but we didn't go any further west than Cantabria this trip. Check out my thread entitled Wonderful Lodging! for more info on inexpensive ($50 per night and less) accommodations. All were very nice.

Visit Hondarribia in the Basque country. Try Comillas, too. It was beautiful in September. Maybe you'll be there for the Road Rally and meet a young Spanish man...

I'm encouraging my son (who will graduate from Berkeley in May) to see either Spain or Italy (excuse me, folks, but my husband's family comes from Italia). I'm hoping he'll find a travel companion. I honestly think it's more fun that way although, truthfully, I've never traveled alone.

E-mail me about your trip to Italy, also a favorite. We may be "tossing a coin" to determine where we're headed next but Spain is like an "old shoe"--so comfortable and, sometimes, a bit "ragged around the edges"--two positive characteristics.

#20064 - 07/16/02 03:58 PM Re: Northern Spain itinerary - advise
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Eddie-
It's been a while but I'm in the thick of planning this trip now and have a specific question from your previous post wink .

I'm considering using Santander as a base for exploring the area and wanted to know about the tours you took along the coast and the Picos de Europa. How often and who runs these tours? Are they spanish speaking only (any in english)?

Thanks to everyone for all of your help laugh

#20065 - 07/23/02 03:59 PM Re: Northern Spain itinerary - advise
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Hi again! Cathy, I posted way back on November 11, 2001 after our incredible three week trip to Spain. If you want to do a search, look at Hotels/Lodging. Topic name is: Wonderful Lodging! It may be helpful.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1746 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments