Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20034 - 12/04/01 10:16 AM Has anyone taken the Vigo, Spain to Fatima, Portugal to Salamanca, Spain Route?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Greetings,
Has anyone taken the train route from Vigo to Fatima to Salamanca train route? I am visiting Santiago de Compostela from the 24- 26th and instead of doing a return trip the same way I came, I would like to go down to Vigo and come down the Potuguese coast do a quick visit to Fatima and then take the Surex train to Salamanca. Would this be feasible? If so what are the minimum number of travel days for this itinerary?
rolleyes
smile

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

#20035 - 12/05/01 05:44 AM Re: Has anyone taken the Vigo, Spain to Fatima, Portugal to Salamanca, Spain Route?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I have taken the 'Tren International' from Vigo to Porto (just one-a-day: departs Vigo around 1300). http://www.cp.pt
I don't recommend the international train. It's basically a no frills 'regional' and the only way to assure yourself of a seat all the way is to buy a first class ticket (which I did, the second time).
On one occasion I stopped overnight in Porto and on another I caught an Alfa (1700) to Lisbon. The Alfa passed by a Fatima station but didn't stop there. So from around noon in Vigo, I was in Lisbon (Oriente) around 20:30 (PT). It was a 'foot race' to buy a ticket (the only thing left was 'smoking')and make it onto the Lisbon-bound Alfa. rolleyes
I have visited Fatima (day-trip from Lisbon) but I haven't done the Fatima-Salamanca bit

#20036 - 12/05/01 10:14 AM Re: Has anyone taken the Vigo, Spain to Fatima, Portugal to Salamanca, Spain Route?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Eddie,
Thanks so much Eddie, you're the greatest! Particularly for the tip on the international trains. Going via Salamanca proves to be a little problematic because of the time factor. But if one leaves from Madrid the options are better. Take the Lusitania Hotel train from Madrid at 22:00 to Lisbon via Caceres, get off at the Santarem, Portugal station around 7:25 a.m., and take the express train to Fatima. then take the train express from Fatima to Porto up to Vigo. Stay overnight at Vigo and then take the early train to Santiago. I may take your advice and take the FEVE train from Corunna to Gijon and come down by Valladolid to Salamanca.
I am truly enjoying the planning of this trip because I have no strict schedules to follow.
I'll be sure and let you know when I return!
smile

#20037 - 12/05/01 01:20 PM Re: Has anyone taken the Vigo, Spain to Fatima, Portugal to Salamanca, Spain Route?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

<< take the Lusitania Hotel train from Madrid at 22:00 to Lisbon via Caceres, get off at the Santarem, Portugal station around 7:25 a.m., and take the express train to Fatima. then take the train express from Fatima to Porto up to Vigo. Stay overnight at Vigo and then take the early train to Santiago. >>

In case you weren't aware: 'express trains' (aka rapidos) are (very) slow trains. eek

A TRD (all reserved) around 08:30 from Vigo gets you to Santiago at 10:00 - it's a good one; although I had to threaten to call the Encargado to get some young Spanish guys out of my reserved seat. They do that: buy a regular second class ticket and get on the TRD. If the Encargado catches them, they're off the train. I'm sure they were extra bold with me at first because they figured I didn't know enough Spanish (or Galego) to be able to lodge a complaint. They were wrong!

I recommend the Hotel America in Vigo: just a block from Plaza de Compostela and a block in the other direction to Puerto Deportivo (Marina). The only reason it is a 3-star is it doesn't have a full service restaurant. It does have a breakfast/sun room on the 7th floor. They will get you (continental) breakfast (incl. in room rate) at 07:00 if you tell them you have an early checkout.
BTW
I had the best swordfish steak I have ever eaten at a nondescript bar/restaurant just a few doors down the street from the hotel.

The hotel America is also just a few blocks from la Pedra (marketplace) if you want to do some shopping. Monte Cristo (Havanas) at unbelievably low price from a street vendor: she doesn't display them; you have to ask. As for how you're going to get them past Customs when you come back to Miami: that's a whole nuther 'project.' rolleyes

I don't think FEVE serves a'Corunha. Their luxury summer San Sebastian to Santiago trip uses Buses for the final leg. I think FEVE terminates at o'Ferrol. I've just taken it for short stretches in Cantabria (Santander-Limpias, for example). http://www.feve.es
BTW
You're going to Santiago to pray at the sepulchre of the Apostol Iago and to Fatima which has been described to me as 'la pista de aterrizaje de los angeles.' Have you thought about Limpias (Cristo de Limpias) or San Sebastian de Garabandal, site of a reported Marian apparition in 1960-61? When I was in Potes in Apr, 2000, a group from Ireland at my Hostal was on a pilgrimage to Garabandal. It's in Cantabria, near Cabezon de la Sal.
I happened to be was on a pilgrimage to the Monastery of Santo Toribio, near Potes where the largest known fragment of the Cross of Christ (Vera Cruz) is kept - it was an Año Júbilar for Santo Toribio rolleyes

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#20038 - 12/18/01 09:10 AM Re: Has anyone taken the Vigo, Spain to Fatima, Portugal to Salamanca, Spain Route?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Booklady:
Off the topic but perhaps of interest to you: there's a more or less permanent setup on C/Claudio Moyano (very close to Atocha) called el Mercado del Libro. There's about ten bookstalls where they sell mostly used (some new) books. It's several hundred metres south of the Museo del Prado

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments