Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20028 - 12/03/01 03:30 PM Madrid and Northern Spain in February -a ny suggestions
Jessica Offline

I'm planning a trip to Spain in late February. Madrid is a definite stop, then possibly heading North toward Basque country and the Cantabrian coast. What can I expect this time of year? I would imagine Madrid, Segovia etc will be bitterly cold? What about the Northern coast? Any suggestions?

#20029 - 12/04/01 06:46 AM Re: Madrid and Northern Spain in February -a ny suggestions
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Madrid tends to be protected from extreme cold outbreaks by several mountain ranges to its north. As a mater of fact, in the closest in of those (Guaderrama's), ski resorts in places like Somosierra will be active. In late February in Madrid you can expect daytime temperatures around 14-15 (Celsius) and 0-4 overnight. In Farenheit that's high 50's in the day and mid-to-high 30's night.

Segovia will be colder.

Coastal Cantabria & Vizcaya's maritime influences keep temperatures from going thru the floor. You can't get to Fuente De (in Picos de Europa) by bus until May. They all terminate in Potes.

Bilbao's bad news: It's in a geographical 'bowl,' in a manner of speaking and the cold air just sinks into the bowl and stays there. I like Santander! It's a bustling University city, well communicated. Torrelavega will probably be quite a bit colder because it's inland.

There's good bus service across the north coast (Alsa motorcoaches) all the way from Irun-Gijon (Principality of Asturias). You can also get local bus service (infrequent) Santander-Potes (la Palomera), and other villages; and then you have FEVE (Ferrocaril Español de Via estrecha - just like it says: a narrow gauge rail line that traverses some beautiful scenery thru Cantabria & Asturias) http://www.FEVE.es rolleyes

Continental-Auto runs Motorcoach service Madrid-Santander or Madrid-Bilbao from the Avenida de America bus terminal. Scenery will be awesome as you go thru the mountain passes north of Burgos. cool
BTW
I expect to be in Spain in early February; I'll probably be in Cadiz (for Carnaval) or Huelva.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#20030 - 12/04/01 02:09 PM Re: Madrid and Northern Spain in February -a ny suggestions
esq Offline

Loc: miami,fl
Don't forget your coat! Have a great time.

#20031 - 12/05/01 04:49 PM Re: Madrid and Northern Spain in February -a ny suggestions
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Segovia is fantastic in the winter. It may be cold but you cant' beat the views from the top of the Alcazar during that time of the year. There's snow capped mountains and the landscape is fantastic.

#20032 - 12/06/01 04:11 AM Re: Madrid and Northern Spain in February -a ny suggestions
josemacall Offline

Loc: Galapagar(Madrid)
In the center of the country, Madrid and Segovia, the temperature will be lower for sure, but very dry, so it is not so unconfortable. But Segovia, with snow is great, if you have this luck.

In the north you can spect cloudy even rainy days, but a warmer temperature.

If you go to the south, probably you won't meet clouds and rains, and the temperature will higher (5/10 to 15 Celsius)

#20033 - 12/10/01 11:01 AM Re: Madrid and Northern Spain in February -a ny suggestions
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
You might check out my suggestions under "Wonderful Lodging" although I've never been to the north coast in February. Hondarribia, near the French border, is a gorgeous town--lovely setting along the sea with those beautiful green hills in the background. I would imagine that Comillas, in Cantabria is very quiet that time of year. But it's a beautiful little fishing/beach town with many sights of interest including Gaudí's El Capricho (now a restaurant), the Mansion of El Sobrellano with its gorgeous little chapel next door, the huge (and now-deserted) Pontifical University, etc. If you're driving, Turégano is a good (but very quiet) base to branch out into the surrounding countryside to visit Segovia and the castillos. I liked the area of La Rioja, too (LaGuardia and Haro) then just a little further north is Vitoria, worthy of a stopover.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1507 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments