Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20008 - 11/29/01 03:51 AM Seeking to FEEL Madrid
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
If the name has caused some amusement, please let me explain. I'm American, y mi novio es mexicano. eek

I consider myself to be a fortunate American when it comes to Spain. Some of my closest friends here in California are Spanish (si, de España), I understand basic Spanish (working towards fluency), and fell in love with Spain during a visit this last July. Sure, no one confused me to be a Spaniard, but I was welcomed into homes of my friend's parents like I was family. We traveled through Andalucia, and then north for a wonderful (and safe) visit of Pais Vasco. We all know ETA does not equal Basque people!

So, you may be wondering, why did I join this message board if I already feel accepted by Spain? You've gained my trust - you are all contributing thoughtful information. I've been absorbing most all the topics and replys with intensity. And, although I've already been warmly welcomed to Spain, I have a long way to go to fully understand the culture!

We have our hotel, plans have been set around our friend's wedding on Dec 22nd, and we've already been given much advice and ideas for the other eight days in Madrid.

I want to FEEL Madrid, and thought I'd throw this out on the board for you all to digest and hopefully offer your insight. One can read the guidebooks "until the cows come home," but I'm hungry for a true local's opinion on what to check out, beyond all the obvious culture that has aready been planned for (Prado, Sol, etc). Unique, interesting (funky or trendy) neighborhoods, bars, small art houses - anything you all want to disclose would be greatly appreciated!!!

I see myself moving to Spain in the near future, and we'll be treating this as an expedition. To scout out Madrid - would I want to live here? All the help you want to give, helping to find and FEEL Madrid, will be appreciated.

I look forward to all your replys!!!

#20009 - 11/30/01 08:08 PM Re: Seeking to FEEL Madrid
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
First I would advice you not to think of Madrid as one city but as the joint of many of them. Madrid is made of various small different cities, what we understand for neighbourhoods. You have to keep in mind, the elegant and commercial district of Salamanca has nothing to do with the emigrant-Lavapies,
not the gay one "Chueca" has anything to do with the stylish and bohemian "Madrid de los Austrias". Coming to know Madrid´s different districts is the first step to understand the richness of this city.

Andrés

#20010 - 12/01/01 03:15 AM Re: Seeking to FEEL Madrid
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Andrés,

Thank you for your response. You were clearly able to read through my wordy post to understand what I was asking. I appreciate your candid reflection on what makes the city of Madrid. If you've traveled to, and discovered, my city of San Francisco, CA, you probably found yourself quite at home. You see, San Francisco, like Madrid, is also composed of many neighborhoods (little towns - I always felt - contributing towards the city, as a whole) with their own distinct feel and purpose. Thank you (!!!) for pointing out this physical (and cultural) aspect of your city. You understood the point of my message board post! Any other thoughts you might have on your city would be greatly appreciated, and welcomed. Thanks again for your insight, and hopefully I hear from you again!

Jason

#20011 - 12/01/01 06:30 AM Re: Seeking to FEEL Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Stroll Retiro Park around 10:30 on a Sunday morning - sir on a bench and listen to the canta'or de flamenco;

On a weekday around 17:00 stop and have a drink at a terraza on c/Serrano - east side, just north of Goya - watch the people go by;

stop for a chato de vino at Joya, a taberna on the corner as you exit Plaza Mayor toward Sol;

Spend some time sitting on a bench at Plaza de Oriente (near the Visigoth Kings statues) and do the same on the Plaza Mayor or near the Don Quixote / Sancho Panza statues at the Plaza de España. rolleyes

Buy a bag of castañas from a street vendor and find a place to sit in the park in front of Opera and munch on them.

Don't go rushing from place to place like a tourist! Relax! Enjoy! cool

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#20012 - 12/01/01 02:24 PM Re: Seeking to FEEL Madrid
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
On a Wed. or Thurday night a visit to The Berlin Cabaret 1930 situated in Costanilla de San Pedro can be an experience. Also Palacio de Gaviria on Thursdays is a blast.
For somewhere inexpensive to eat, then, nothing like El Almendro 13 situated in the street with the same name, ask for "huevos rotos". This is the recipe for my pacient ;-D

Andrés.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments