Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19974 - 11/14/01 05:47 PM A winter itinerary in Spain
Andante Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Help! I only have 91/2 days in Spain, beginning in Madrid on Dec.23rd. My daughter has been studying in Salamanca so I know we will spend a day or two there. But, aside from that, I don't know what to plan for such a short trip. Toledo is right at the top of my list, but I'd also like to see Sevilla &/or Granada. 2 people have told me to stick to Madrid and Barcelona. Part of the dilemma is that, aside from the AVE train from Madrid to Sevilla, I don't know how long it takes to get anywhere. What is realistic?? Sightseeing in warm weather is a no brainer but what should I expect in the wintery cold? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks

#19975 - 11/14/01 07:08 PM Re: A winter itinerary in Spain
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Hi Andante and welcome to the board.

9.5 days in Spain. Not nearly enough time to see alot but just enough to wet your appetite for more.

As I see it you will be in Spain for the New Years eve which I would make sure I was in Madrid and at the Plaza de Sol at Midnight. I haven't been there but I've been told it's a buzz. Others may well be able to tell you more on the tradition of the 12 Grapes at Midnight.

Other than that, for time to travel around look at Renfe for Train Time tables etc. It has an English Link. Toledo is a must and can be down on a Day trip as can Segovia and Avila. If you have your heart set on Sevilla and Granada then try to do it. Madrid to Sevilla is 2.5 hours by AVE but Sevilla to Granada can be a lot longer and with not very good train connections. A bus may be a better option.

You will need at least 2 days in each of Seville and Granada plus allow a day for travelling. So you won't have a lot of time left. Just remember not to try and do too much, Spain isn't going away and everything will still be there when you return, as I'm sure you will.

David cool laugh

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: DavidB ]

#19976 - 11/15/01 07:14 AM Re: A winter itinerary in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
This is a tough one! If you arrive in Madrid after an overnight flight from the U.S., my advice would be to use that first day to get where you'll spend Christmas eve (nochebuena) and Christmas day (Salamanca?). Then go back to Madrid & do day-trips to Toledo, Segovia, El Escorial. You can even Day trip on AVE to Sevilla (I have done that once). Same day return gets you a discount of about 40%.

Everyone wants to go to Granada (because of the song? Or among the Gay population maybe because it was Federico Garcia Lorca's home) Granada would be more difficult to reach ... it's a matter of priorities. You shouldn't skip Madrid itself (Museo del Prado, Palacio Réal, etc.). rolleyes
P.S.
Salamanca will be much colder than Madrid. In Madrid around that time you can normally expect lows around zero (Celsius, 32 f) and highs around 13-degrees (55 farenheit). Unless you go to the mountains, you don't need any really heavy winter garb.
cool
To comment on DavidB's advice re: New Year's eve & chiming in the New Year eating grapes at the Puerta del Sol - that's nice! But .. be very, very careful with your belongings. The pickpockets (or purses) have a field day while that is happening. You will be their main target! mad
BTW
Many Restaurants/night clubs all over Spain will play the sounding of the bells from Madrid's Puerta del Sol at midnight over the loudspeakers - some will even provide grapes for their patrons to eat as the bells chime laugh

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#19977 - 11/15/01 07:37 PM Re: A winter itinerary in Spain
Andante Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the advice David B and Eddie! I had decided that I would probably take a day in Madrid after I get there and then head to Salamanca for Nochebuena and Navidad. Then, like you suggest, go back to Madrid. I had even thought of day trips to Toledo, Avila/Segovia. We must be on the same wave length. I think I have resigned myself to seeing Barcelona on a future trip. I finally got better information about travel between Sevilla and Granada - a bus runs 9 times a day - so I think I can manage to grab 2 days in both Sevilla and Granada and still have time to go back to Madrid and hit the high spots ... I can always sleep on the plane home!!
Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply - your suggestions have really helped.
Thanks, Andante cool

#19978 - 11/16/01 10:35 AM Re: A winter itinerary in Spain
Daimegeuse Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
I was in Madrid for New Years Eve 1999 (turn of the century) and it WAS a blast. I am going back to Spain in 6 days. I plan to see Madrid and Barcelona in 7 days. I am taking an overnight train from Madrid to Barcelona, and back. This will hopefully save time on my trip, and it's relativly cheap $35 one way. Definitly, if you are in Madrid for New Years, buy the grapes and champagne. They won't let you take the bottle into the plaza, but they will provide you with Giant plastic cups. Buy your champagne early, the stores were all wiped out when we went the day before, and we only found one bar open at midnight. Many opened back up around 2am.
hope this helps

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments