Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19903 - 10/10/01 02:00 PM Open/Closed in Toledo and Segovia
KyCharlie Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY
Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this question.

Will be visiting Madrid in November and taking side trips to Toledo and Segovia. Does anyone know if there are days of the week in either of these cities when the museums and churches etc. might be closed?

Thanks

#19904 - 10/10/01 03:38 PM Re: Open/Closed in Toledo and Segovia
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
As a rule of thumb, most monuments close on Monday, so you'll be disappointed if you go all the way there and can't see anything. having said that, this rule applies to state run museums, and Church buildings are sometimes open. So check before you go. Sunday afternoons sees most things closed too. So avoid those times and dedicate those hours to something else- for example on Monday in Madrid you can go to The reina sofia Museum and the Royal Palace. Or find a nice bar.

#19905 - 10/10/01 03:40 PM Re: Open/Closed in Toledo and Segovia
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Every national museum is usually closed on mondays. You should ask in advance in every particular museum, because some have its own rules (those private for example).

Fernando

#19906 - 10/10/01 07:55 PM Re: Open/Closed in Toledo and Segovia
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
Both places have great cathedrals, especially Toledo. These probably are open, but the church museums may be closed. Of course, I highly recommend either one even on Monday. Toledo is so interesting just to walk around in that I honestly think the payoff is worth it. That is, I think the reduced crowds on Monday are worth not getting to see several of the closed museums. Oh, try to spend the night and walk around the city wall. My favorite night in my life was spend doing that. cool cool cool cool

#19907 - 10/11/01 08:44 AM Re: Open/Closed in Toledo and Segovia
el Perrito Offline

Loc: Suecia
A favourite place in Toledo is the viewpoint overlooking "San Martin bridge" (i believe it is called) just above the "San Juan de los reyes" church. Also if you have the chance, go to the parador for a coffe or a beer. You also get a complete and marvellous view of the town, don't hesitate.

In Segovia don't miss the "Disney Castle" (Model of the one behind Mickey Mouse dressed up as wizard).

#19908 - 10/11/01 10:16 AM Re: Open/Closed in Toledo and Segovia
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
Let me add: the view from the bridge
looking up to the city is equally great, especially at night. Don't be lazy.
Make the trip down the hill. cool cool

#19909 - 10/16/01 11:45 PM Re: Open/Closed in Toledo and Segovia
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
...and in Segovia you get a nice view of the city from the carretera into town from the north (direction of Cuéllar/Valladolid). the better view is from the small pueblo of Zumarramala, which is 1 km. outside of Segovia on the lower part (below the Alcázar).

You'll know when you get to the best view point by the plaque on the wall of the house to your side that says "No conozco a nadie que habiéndose acercado a este lugar, no haya sido conquistado por esta vista sorprendiente".

You'll find it...and you can stop at the church of la Vera Cruz on the way out there.

#19910 - 10/17/01 10:46 AM Re: Open/Closed in Toledo and Segovia
Brian Goldthorp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
And you really should stop at the church of la vera cruz - it's stunning.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1802 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments